gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:35 pm

pi_v wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:45 am
I tried to install vlc v2.2.8 step by step according to the guide on the first page, but during the configure process i have the following errors:

Makefile:2220: recipe for target 'libqt4_plugin_la-qt4.lo' failed
make[7]: *** [libqt4_plugin_la-qt4.lo] Error 1
make[7]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Makefile:2234: recipe for target 'libqt4_plugin_la-main_interface.lo' failed
make[7]: *** [libqt4_plugin_la-main_interface.lo] Error 1
Makefile:2227: recipe for target 'libqt4_plugin_la-menus.lo' failed
make[7]: *** [libqt4_plugin_la-menus.lo] Error 1
make[7]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/vlc-2.2.8/modules/gui/qt4'
Makefile:1592: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[6]: *** [all] Error 2

Has anyone experienced such problems? I'm on Raspbian Stretch
VLC depends on QT5, not QT4.
You should carefully read the results when running ./configure.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

pi_v
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:42 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:14 pm

This error occured after the "make j3" command, so it wasn't during the configuration as i stated earlier. Whether VLC is depending on Qt5 or not, for some reason it misses Qt4 files...

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 pm

pi_v wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:14 pm
This error occured after the "make j3" command, so it wasn't during the configuration as i stated earlier. Whether VLC is depending on Qt5 or not, for some reason it misses Qt4 files...
Perhaps it tries to fall back to QT4. Run
sudo apt-get update
and then repeat all the installation commands from the OP.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Regarding VLC 3.0.0

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:50 am

gkreidl wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:54 am
McLion wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:54 am
gkreidl wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 am
I meanwhile managed to successfully compile VLC 3.0.0 (new dependencies have to be met), enabling both mmal and OMX, but neither MMAL or OMXIL output do currently work.
Somehow, good news. On the other side, if that means that it can not use the GPU, it's actually unusable.
Would you mind sharing what needed to be done - I have similar plans for next week when I get back to our RPi project.
I will run some more experiments. In the past, MMAL has never worked for me and I'll try to disable it, using OMXIL only. I'll publish the results here and also the required dependencies.
Meanwhile I have compiled with different options, using either MMAL or OMXIL, but the bad news is that neither of them works. I all cases opening the video output port throws an error. Obviously the RPi specific modules have never really been tested on a RPi. Maybe we'll need the help of the VLC (plugin) developers.

For the next few weeks I'll be busy finishing another project and won't have the time for further experiments with VLC 3.0.0. Perhaps someone else will work on for now or contact the VLC developers. Here's the list of the additional dependencies I have added:

Code: Select all

libpostproc54 libjack-jackd2-0 libsoxr0 libsoxr-lsr0 libarchive13 libnfs8 libnfsidmap2 libsecret-1-0 libqt5svg5 wayland-protocols libpostproc-dev libjack-jackd2-dev libsoxr-dev libnfs-dev libarchive-dev libsecret-1-dev libprotobuf-lite10 libprotoc-dev libprotoc10 protobuf-compiler libsystemd-dev libqt5svg5-dev
(I'm not sure if all of them are really needed).

The following configure options must be added or it won't compile:

Code: Select all

--disable-wayland --disable-libva
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:19 pm

QT5 lost its window decoration,anyone had this issue?


McLion
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:05 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:51 am

I'll try with 3.0.1 in the next few hours ... I'll keep you posted ;)

McLion
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:05 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm

VLC 3.0.1 also does not work. I'll invest some time and try to debug the issue together with the VLC forum/guys.
I'll keep this thread updated - If someone has any findings or hints, you're more than welcome to post them here.

cathorse
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:46 pm

I do this tonight and find the setup to be excellent - a small change since this was written:

wget http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches ... g3-1.patch
is now
wget http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches ... g3-1.patch

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:14 pm

cathorse wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:46 pm
I do this tonight and find the setup to be excellent - a small change since this was written:

wget http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches ... g3-1.patch
is now
wget http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches ... g3-1.patch
This is for version 2.2.3, not 2.2.8.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:44 am

McLion wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm
I'll keep this thread updated - If someone has any findings or hints, you're more than welcome to post them here.
@McLion, saw your post on vlc forum, for 2.2.8 debug test, should be

Code: Select all

--disable-mmal-codec --disable-mmal-vout

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:21 am

cathorse wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:46 pm
I do this tonight and find the setup to be excellent - a small change since this was written:

wget http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches ... g3-1.patch
is now
wget http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches ... g3-1.patch
I have uploaded the 2.2.8 patch to our server and modified the OP accordingly.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

McLion
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:05 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am

I'm not sure I get the last few posts.
2.2.8 is running for quite some time - what are the new changes about?
The current issue is that 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 both are not working anymore.

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm

McLion wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am
I'm not sure I get the last few posts.
2.2.8 is running for quite some time - what are the new changes about?
The current issue is that 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 both are not working anymore.
The original patch URL didn't work any more and so I made the patch available again.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

rebroad
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:49 am

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:40 am
Thanks for this great step-by-step guide. It worked fine and compiled. However, when I try to play a movie (e.g. 720p Spiderman) the sound works but the window contents is just black.

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:54 am

rebroad wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:49 am
gkreidl wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:40 am
Thanks for this great step-by-step guide. It worked fine and compiled. However, when I try to play a movie (e.g. 720p Spiderman) the sound works but the window contents is just black.
Did you select OpenMax IL output for video?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

airdrummer
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:58 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:46 pm

just compiled/installed successfully using op
Linux raspian 4.9.80-v7+ #1098 SMP Fri Mar 9 19:11:42 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
vlc-2.2.8 patched
decode_MPG2=license in /boot/config.txt
but playbck shows initial image, then freezes, sound continues playing, only responds to spacebar(pause/play) & a few others, some by crashing:-\ and no jump/nav keys work
VLC media player 2.2.8 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.7-14-g3cc1d8cba9)
[01e1e918] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

** (vlc:5727): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
[6a50d720] core vout display error: Failed to set fullscreen
[6a50d720] core vout display error: Failed to change zoom
[6a50d720] core vout display error: Failed to set on top
*** Error in `vlc': double free or corruption (out): 0x67c02fc0 ***
Aborted
any clues?

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:53 am

airdrummer wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:46 pm
just compiled/installed successfully using op
Linux raspian 4.9.80-v7+ #1098 SMP Fri Mar 9 19:11:42 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
vlc-2.2.8 patched
decode_MPG2=license in /boot/config.txt
but playbck shows initial image, then freezes, sound continues playing, only responds to spacebar(pause/play) & a few others, some by crashing:-\ and no jump/nav keys work
VLC media player 2.2.8 Weatherwax (revision 2.2.7-14-g3cc1d8cba9)
[01e1e918] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

** (vlc:5727): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
[6a50d720] core vout display error: Failed to set fullscreen
[6a50d720] core vout display error: Failed to change zoom
[6a50d720] core vout display error: Failed to set on top
*** Error in `vlc': double free or corruption (out): 0x67c02fc0 ***
Aborted
any clues?
Size of GPU memory?
Does the video appear in an overlay or inside a window frame?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

airdrummer
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:58 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:47 pm

Size of GPU memory?
i reduced it from 256 to 128 and now it plays properly, but NO keys work:-\
Does the video appear in an overlay or inside a window frame?
overlay...that's the whole point, h/w accel, right?

i'll try again when i get a chance...running osmc now, but the kodi playback UI sux, which is why i'm trying to get vlc working...

chinaguy
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:27 am
Location: Shanghai

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:07 am

It worked well for me on 2 RP3 this week. Works well for 1080 video files up to 30fps, I tried it with my GoPro files at 1080/50fps but it did not work.

Only dissapointment was not been able to use the Shortcuts to control the video playback, any fix for this issue?

Many Thanks for the GREAT WORK done on this.

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:03 am

chinaguy wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:07 am
It worked well for me on 2 RP3 this week. Works well for 1080 video files up to 30fps, I tried it with my GoPro files at 1080/50fps but it did not work.

Only dissapointment was not been able to use the Shortcuts to control the video playback, any fix for this issue?

Many Thanks for the GREAT WORK done on this.
Shortcuts do work for me. What may happen is, that the VLC window looses focus (if you click the mouse somewhere outside the window). Maximizing the VLC window before you start playing something might help.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

User avatar
richlion2
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 am

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Hello,

an excellent tutorial. I have a RPI 3 B+. First I tried compiling the newest VLC 3.0.1 downloaded from their official web site. Although I managed to update all the missing libraries and the compilation went well I kept getting failures when launching, as I would get messaged from version 2.2. So I decided to follow these instructions. I am a bit lost however right at the start:

1) I got the VLC source:

Code: Select all

wget https://download.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.8/vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz
2) I got the patch:

Code: Select all

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/vlc-2.2.8-ffmpeg3-1.patch
I have two files:
vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz
vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz.1

Was I correct to untar them like this?
tar -xJf vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz
tar -xJf vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz.1
Should that not have modified the folder vlc-2.2.8 with the newer versions?

./bootstrap went OK.

However this has lost me completely:
Now it's time to add the patch we have downloaded earlier, which requires two commands:

Code: Select all

patch -Np1 -i ../vlc-2.2.8-ffmpeg3-1.patch
I am in the folder vlc-2.2.8 and I get this:

Code: Select all

patch: **** Can't open patch file ../vlc-2.2.8-ffmpeg3-1.patch : No such file or directory
It seems I am missing something, anyone willing to help?

Thanks
Richard

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:50 am

richlion2 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm
Hello,

an excellent tutorial. I have a RPI 3 B+. First I tried compiling the newest VLC 3.0.1 downloaded from their official web site. Although I managed to update all the missing libraries and the compilation went well I kept getting failures when launching, as I would get messaged from version 2.2. So I decided to follow these instructions. I am a bit lost however right at the start:

1) I got the VLC source:

Code: Select all

wget https://download.videolan.org/vlc/2.2.8/vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz
2) I got the patch:

Code: Select all

wget http://steinerdatenbank.de/software/vlc-2.2.8-ffmpeg3-1.patch
I have two files:
vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz
vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz.1

Was I correct to untar them like this?
tar -xJf vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz
tar -xJf vlc-2.2.8.tar.xz.1
Should that not have modified the folder vlc-2.2.8 with the newer versions?

./bootstrap went OK.

However this has lost me completely:
Now it's time to add the patch we have downloaded earlier, which requires two commands:

Code: Select all

patch -Np1 -i ../vlc-2.2.8-ffmpeg3-1.patch
I am in the folder vlc-2.2.8 and I get this:

Code: Select all

patch: **** Can't open patch file ../vlc-2.2.8-ffmpeg3-1.patch : No such file or directory
It seems I am missing something, anyone willing to help?

Thanks
Richard
Obviously you downloaded the VLC archive twice and missed downloading the patch.

I also tried to compile VLC 3.0, but neither the omx-plugin nor the mmal-plugin worked.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

DCal
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm

I am getting this response to this command. 'libtool' and 'autoconf' do not seem to be installing. Is this going to be a problem for me?

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt-get install autopoint pkg-config libtool build-essential autoconf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package autoconf is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Package libtool is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Unable to locate package autopoint
E: Package 'libtool' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'autoconf' has no installation candidate

gkreidl
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Tutorial: Compile VLC with HW acceleration - Stretch, RPi 2/3

Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 am

DCal wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm
I am getting this response to this command. 'libtool' and 'autoconf' do not seem to be installing. Is this going to be a problem for me?

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt-get install autopoint pkg-config libtool build-essential autoconf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package autoconf is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

Package libtool is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Unable to locate package autopoint
E: Package 'libtool' has no installation candidate
E: Package 'autoconf' has no installation candidate
Run
sudo apt-get update
and try again.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Raspbian”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests