The_Handy_Andy

Stretch update knocked out my dongle

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:42 pm

Today I updated Jessie to Stretch using this method:

To upgrade, first modify the files /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list. In both files, change every occurrence of the word ‘jessie’ to ‘stretch’. (Both files will require sudo to edit.)

Then open a terminal window and execute

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade

Answer ‘yes’ to any prompts. There may also be a point at which the install pauses while a page of information is shown on the screen – hold the ‘space’ key to scroll through all of this and then hit ‘q’ to continue.

Finally, if you are not using PulseAudio for anything other than Bluetooth audio, remove it from the image by entering

sudo apt-get -y purge "pulseaudio*"

After the update which took roughly 4 hours (on a Pi2 ... (why didn't I just do a fresh install?)) my wifi dongle was no longer recognised!

Anyone got any ideas?

asandford

Re: Stretch update knocked out my dongle

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:56 pm

The_Handy_Andy wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:42 pm
After the update which took roughly 4 hours (on a Pi2 ... (why didn't I just do a fresh install?)) my wifi dongle was no longer recognised!

Anyone got any ideas?
And your wifi dongle is?

Does it show in lsusb?

Are there any errors when you type dmesg?

why didn't you just do a fresh install?

The_Handy_Andy

Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:26 pm

the dongle is a Dynamode WL-700N-MRT (REALTEK 8188SU chipset)

I didn't do a fresh install because of the other OSs on the disk

drmullins

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:08 am

You could try installing r92su kernel module
See my earlier post
viewtopic.php?t=191844

HeadGeek

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:18 pm

I am having the same issue. I created a Stretch Lite microSD from scratch. I edited wpa_supplicant.conf to add the network information. When I boot the Scratch Lite SD card the WiFi dongle I am using is not recognized. Boot Jessie Lite and it is. If I change the WiFi dongle to an EDIMAX dongle then it works with Stretch and Jessie. This tells me the configuration of the WiFi is correct. It also tells me that for some reason the support/driver for my other dongle (RTL8188EUS) has been removed from Stretch.
How do I get Stretch to work with my RTL8188 dongles ?
Why was it removed from Stretch ?
Is this going to be an ongoing issue moving forward ? In other words, will the next and all subsequent releases of Raspian also lack the RTL8188 driver ?

Thanks for the help

drmullins

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:44 am

The r8188su and r8191su dongles (amongst others) use the r8712u kernel module both in jessie and stretch. r8712u is present in stretch (as in jessie) i.e. it has not been removed but it is a 'staging' driver which means it is not fully tested - and it doesn't work properly in stretch. You need to replace r8712u by r92su driver as detailed in my post. You may also want to try configuring with dkms so that r92su driver is automatically reinstalled after a kernel upgrade, The bug has been reported on raspberry pi kernel page on github and will hopefully be fixed in due course.

Return to “Raspbian”