bfpa40

Raspbian Stretch WiFi Issue with Pi Zero W

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Having an issue getting my WiFi to work after downloading and installing a the New Raspbian Stretch Desktop Version. This is a completely new build I used etcher to flash the SD Card and installed it in my Pi Zero W and modified my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file as I had become accustomed to doing on Jesse and no worky! Is there a known set of procedures with this new Stretch OS for getting the WiFi to work with a Pi Zero W ?

Upon looking at other posts I have tried the following in my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file without any luck.

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
ssid="your-network-service-set-identifier"
psk="your-network-WPA/WPA2-security-passphrase"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

Please assist..

Thanks in advance

mattmiller

Re: Raspbian Stretch WiFi Issue with Pi Zero W

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 pm

If your using the Desktop version then its much easier to simply use the WiFi GUI option to connect to your router as it eliminates any change of a typo creeping in

bfpa40

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

I tried however the GUI APP when I right click or left click on it doesn't open any other window, so I guess what I am saying is it does nothing therefor I am forced into Terminal land.

mattmiller

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:53 pm

I tried however the GUI APP when I right click or left click on it doesn't open any other window, so I guess what I am saying is it does nothing
So I think we've found the real problem :)

Does the Pi def work with Jessie?

If so, try downloading the latest Stretch (it got updated last week) via a different browser (to eliminate any corruptions with download in orig browser) and give that a run out

bfpa40

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:57 pm

It Did before I decided to go to Stretch it was fully functional;.

bfpa40

Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:59 pm

I am using the Latest Stretch I downloaded it this afternoon and installed it, still no worky!

bfpa40

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:08 pm

I HAVE IT WORKING NOW.. Thank you for the suggestion what I did was to reflash Stretch again and tried the GUI this time I entered the Router Data and it then allows me to select the WiFi Access Point and I put in the Password and Walla.

I appreciate the suggestion as I have been hacking at this all afternoon! Thanks Again

-Brian-

shaolinkhoa

Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:08 am

hi Brian,

I have the same problem with Wifi on pi zero W (raspbian stretch with desktop).

Would you mind telling me what does the WIFI GUI you mentioned ?

Did you mean you connect the lcd with pi zero W then connect Wifi by wifi search in destop environment ?

Update#1:
I see my raspberry pi in my modern: DHCP client List
raspberrypi 192.168.0.112

but when I tried, it return error
ssh pi@192.168.0.112
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.112 port 22: No route to host

thank you and regards,
Khoa

shaolinkhoa

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 am

Hi,

Does anyone know how to fix this ?

Regards

HawaiianPi

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:29 am

shaolinkhoa wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:08 am
hi Brian,

I have the same problem with Wifi on pi zero W (raspbian stretch with desktop).

Would you mind telling me what does the WIFI GUI you mentioned ?

Did you mean you connect the lcd with pi zero W then connect Wifi by wifi search in destop environment ?

Update#1:
I see my raspberry pi in my modern: DHCP client List
raspberrypi 192.168.0.112

but when I tried, it return error
ssh pi@192.168.0.112
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.112 port 22: No route to host

thank you and regards,
Khoa
shaolinkhoa wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:16 am
Hi,

Does anyone know how to fix this ?

Regards
SSH has been disabled by default in Raspbian for quite a while now. To enable it at boot time you need to create a file named "ssh" in the small FAT32 boot partition (the only part of the card that is normally accessible to a Windows or Mac PC). When Raspbian finds that file it will enable SSH and delete the file.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

BiGsTaN

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:38 am

You can try the following:

in

Code: Select all

/etc/network/interface
:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

DougieLawson

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Why?

999999/1000000 folks don't need to add anything to /etc/network/interfaces.
All network configuration on the last version of Jessie and latest version of Stretch is done in /etc/dhcpcd.conf.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

CraigT

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:08 pm

I just had a similar problem getting my Wi-Fi to work on a completely fresh new Raspbian Stretch Lite install on a Pi Zero W.
Cutting a long story short, I believe the problem was with the way I had modified the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
I replaced my modified file with the original file (always good to backup a file before modifying it) and then started again, this time making less modifications (and no tabs), rebooted and it worked! Yay!

Note. In the working file, I only added the ssid and psk lines under my network entry.

I believe the problem could have been because I had used tabs when modifying the file in nano (I tried to remove them all but that didn't seem to fix things) OR because I tried to add network entries for 3 wireless networks (I am not sure whether multiple networks with no preference was an issue or maybe there was a typo in my config - made more likely by having three entries).

If I have a bit more time I may investigate more with the retained incorrect file.

Hope this helps someone else.

Craig

HawaiianPi

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:21 pm

I have recently purchased a Pi Zero W and had no trouble getting SSH and wireless working with my normal procedure.

This is the procedure I use for setting up headless boot with SSH and wireless network. It works with Raspbian Stretch, Desktop or Lite, and with the built-in WiFi on the Pi3 & Zero W, or a Raspbian compatible USB WiFi dongle on other models (tested on an old model B, Pi2 and Pi Zero). Everything is done before you boot the SD card, and can be done on a Windows or Mac computer which only has access to the small FAT32 "boot" partition of a Raspbian imaged SD card.
  1. Grab the latest Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
  2. Grab the Etcher software from https://etcher.io/
  3. Install Etcher and use it to write the Raspbian image to your SD card. You don't need to extract the image or format the card prior to writing. Just choose the Raspbian .zip, pick your SD card and write (if you have trouble, verify the SHA256 checksum of the download).
  4. Remove and reinsert the SD card so that your Windows or Mac PC can see the small FAT32 partition on the SD card (labelled "boot").
  5. On that small partition, create a file with the name ssh (or ssh.txt). It can be empty, the contents don't matter.
  6. If you are connecting the Pi to your router with an Ethernet cable, then you can eject the card and use it to boot your Pi now.
  7. To connect to a wireless network, create another file on the card called wpa_supplicant.conf, which has the following inside:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
    update_config=1
    country=US

network={
    	ssid="Your network name/SSID"
    	psk="Your WPA/WPA2 security key"
    	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    }
    Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.
  8. Safely eject the card from your PC and use it to boot the Pi.
If Raspbian finds an ssh file it will enable SSH and delete the file. If it finds a wpa_supplicant.conf file, it will move it to its correct location and connect to your wireless network. Give your Pi some time to boot and connect to your network (the first boot always takes a bit longer), then you should be able to SSH into the Pi and configure it how you like.

If you have a Zeroconf network service installed (iTunes or the Bonjour Printer service installs Zeroconf), you can SSH into pi@raspberrypi.local (provided you don't have any other Pi computers on your network with the default hostname). Otherwise you can login to your router or use a network scanner app (like Fing for smartphones) to find your Pi's IP address.

If you have attempted this and failed, then pulled power to turn off the Pi, you should start over with a freshly imaged card. Improperly powering down the Pi can cause SSH key generation to fail, which will prevent SSH logins.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

Return to “Raspbian”