fbe

Re: RASPBIAN STRETCH auto login as root not working

Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Actually autologin as pi isn't more secure than autologin as root, as long as pi is allowed to run any programm with sudo.
You don't need autologin as root, to run programs with root privileges. So people who could find the answer to this question, wouldn't search it.
Sorry for both bad news.

n67

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:18 am

fbe wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 pm
Actually autologin as pi isn't more secure than autologin as root, as long as pi is allowed to run any programm with sudo.
You don't need autologin as root, to run programs with root privileges. So people who could find the answer to this question, wouldn't search it.
I don't think these people's concerns was so much about "security", per se, but rather about the fact that running the GUI as root is likely to mess things up in terms of it just not being how the system was designed to be run. I can think of at least two ways this could manifest:
1) Various config files and stuff end up being owned by root and unreadable by the normal user (pi).
2) Lots of other things in the GUI system that assume you are logged in as the normal user.

Note that when you are running the GUI, there are all kinds of things going on "behind the scenes" - that the user is not expected to know about - whereas when you are running CLI, pretty much what you type is what you're getting. The implication of this is that it is safer to run root stuff at CLI level rather than in a GUI.
Sorry for both bad news.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

john314

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 pm

To say I do not need root does not help.
Try /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/01_debian.conf

Different location in stretch

Return to “Raspbian”