beta-tester

Raspbian Stretch: login cursor jumps to pos0 of line.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 am

hi,

since raspbian stretch images were released (2017-08-16 and 2017-09-07),
i have an issue, that on the login terminal the cursor is jumping to the begin of the line after a while.
what i did:
  1. flash 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img to sd card
  2. boot rpi
  3. wait until login appears ("raspberrypi login:")
  4. wait further longer (~10..15s)
  5. see, that the blinking cursor is jumping to the begin of line, just in front of the "raspberripi login:".
this happens every time after a fresh boot/reboot.

EDIT: it seems to be network related.
in the previous example i had the ethernet cable connected. without the ethernet cable connected, the cursor behaves quite normally.
even when i plug the ethernet cable later, the cursor does not jump.

so reboot without ethernet cable connected, the rpi behaves as usual.
but when the ethernet cable is connected at booting, the cursor is jumping after a while
(~10..15 seconds after "raspberrypi login:" message appears).

i tested 2017-08-16-raspbian-stretch-lite.img and 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch-lite.img and 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch.img;
i tested on a RPi 2 B and a RPi 3 (and RPi1B rev.1);
i tested the RPi's on two different routers (192.168.ccc.xxx and the other 10.bbb.ccc.xxx);

on all combinations the the same behavior.
is the ethernet cable is connected, the cursor jumps after 10..15 seconds after the "raspberrypi login:" message appears.

this is very annoying, because the cursor will also jump, then you are typing in your user name at login. that will be very confusing.

EDIT2: it happens when there is just a switch on the other end of the ethernet cable
(only a switch without any other devices connected, except the RPi itself)
sometimes only the cursor just jumps to the beginning of the line,
sometimes the cursor jumps to the beginning of the line with erasing everything behind the cursor.

EDIT3: added 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch.img to thetested images (when setup to boot into console).
same behavior - cursor jumps
Last edited by beta-tester on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

biasha

Re: Raspbian Stretch: login cursor jumps to pos0 of line.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:51 pm

i confirm this.
i have not tested, but it looks like additional wifi interfaces (i have 3) make it worse. screen blinks, redraws all the time and makes it almost impossible to use.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:07 pm

I've also observed similar, intermittent, behaviour with Stretch (full), on a P3B, booting to command-line, but not subsequently (following a "startx") within a desktop terminal. I put it down to "USB switching" or keyboard issues, since my (wired) keyboard & mouse are shared between the Pi (whatever model, O.S etc. I currently testing GPIO driven hardware with) and a Gigabyte Brix via a USB switch** (and the monitor via an HDMI switch**) and, occasionally, just after "switch over", some key presses were "missed". (Most of the time I'm only using a wired network connection)
Trev.
** Somewhat similar to this older arrangement:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... tcher.html
but w/o the external power to the HDMI switch (that was needed for my "early" Pi's)
Usually running Raspbian Jessie on up to 12 of 13 Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, 2xB+, A+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) and Stretch on my P3B. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

wally333

Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:55 pm

I've also observed it. But since I usually either boot to auto-login with the GUI, or tun off auto login and boot to a usually unused console (headless) and use ssh, I've never investigated further. I can add I've notices it with Pi3, pi2 and PiZero-W with stretch 2017-09-07 as I've decided to upgrade and sync all my Pi versions.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 pm

@beta-tester, @biasha & @wally333 - what PSU are you using? (I'm using this official one: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... _Models.29 which "pre-dates" the P3B) @biasha - your "more severe" issues may more likely to be power related, especially if your "extra" WiFi devices are "power hungry".
Trev.
Usually running Raspbian Jessie on up to 12 of 13 Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, 2xB+, A+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) and Stretch on my P3B. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

beta-tester

Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:15 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:34 pm
@beta-tester, @biasha & @wally333 - what PSU are you using? (I'm using this official one: http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... _Models.29 which "pre-dates" the P3B) @biasha - your "more severe" issues may more likely to be power related, especially if your "extra" WiFi devices are "power hungry".
Trev.
my issue on my RPi it is not PSU related. as PSU, i use >1.5A for RPi1 & PRi2 and >2.5A for RPi3 with no ripples/spikes on 5.1V on the hot end of the micro usb plug.

the issue i observed was tested on RPi with plugged ethernet cable only, nothing else was pluggged, on Stretch full&lite
(2017-08-16/2017-09-07).
on Jessie full&lite (<=2017-07-05), that issue does not exist.

it does not matter, if a usb keyboard is plugged or not.
only the network adapter has to be activated by a ethernet cable on a working switch as minimum, to reproduce that issue.
i didn't tested yet, if it will happen as well on a RPi3 with working WiFi only.
the cursor jump only happens only one single time at each boot into the console (with or without autologin). doesn't matter if Stretch full or lite version is installed, but it must be setted up to boot into the console.

but you are right. some of the other users issue reports here sounds more like PSU related problems.

PS.: i don't know, what the problem is to reproduce/test the issue:
1. simple flash Raspberry Stretch lite (2017-09-07) to a SD card,
2. plug that card to a RPi.
3. plug HDMI cable to RPi and the other end to TV.
4. plug ethernet cable to RPi and the other end to a working switch/router
5. power up the RPi.
6. wait til login message.
7. wait ~20 sec.
8. answer the question, is the cursor now in the first column of the line or not.
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:14 pm

beta-tester wrote: ...
PS.: i don't know, what the problem is to reproduce/test the issue:
1. simple flash Raspberry Stretch lite (2017-09-07) to a SD card,
2. plug that card to a RPi.
3. plug HDMI cable to RPi and the other end to TV.
4. plug ethernet cable to RPi and the other end to a working switch/router
5. power up the RPi.
6. wait til login message.
7. wait ~20 sec.
8. answer the question, is the cursor now in the first column of the line or not.
Unfortunately (at least for me) it's an "intermittent problem" ie. difficult to reproduce consistently - ie. it hasn't happened during the last dozen or so boot-ups w/o any O.S. updates or connected hardware changes. But I am making greater effort to switch the keyboard/mouse USB and HDMI connection as soon as possible after power up (the PSU switch is at floor level whereas the USB and HSMI switches are on the desk, to the left of and behind the monitor - hence the second or two delay :o )
Trev.

beta-tester

Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:51 pm

@FTrevorGowen: sorry, it wasn't my intention to blame you im my previous "PS".
my hope was that somebody/the creator of the Raspbian Stretch image will see that post and see, verify and confirm that it is a real existing issue...
but to me, it seems, that none of the image creators seen that thread. :(

DougieLawson

Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:05 pm

The problem will lie with the getty that's running on tty1.

Code: Select all

/sbin/agetty --noclear tty1 linux
that gets started from /lib/systemd/system/getty@.service.

agetty is part of the util-linux package

The bug tracker for it is here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

beta-tester

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:05 pm
The problem will lie with the getty that's running on tty1.

/sbin/agetty --noclear tty1 linux
that gets started from /lib/systemd/system/getty@.service.

agetty is part of the util-linux package

The bug tracker for it is here: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable
at the moment i can not find a bug report, that fits to my observed issue.

is there something, i can turn on or off to get rid of the cursor jump on the console?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:38 pm

A "bit of an update" from my P.o.V.: As part of setting up/testing a "three Pi's vesa-mounted to one monitor setup" I've just downloaded and written an up-to-date stretch (full) image and booted it up on a powerbank-powered (no "thunderbolts") early Pi B2 (ie. older than a B+) with a wireless mini-keyboard and a WiFi dongle plugged into its USB ports. For that setup (so far) no "login cursor jump" has been observed.
Trev.

DougieLawson

Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:41 pm

beta-tester wrote:

is there something, i can turn on or off to get rid of the cursor jump on the console?
Simply create a bug report.
MQTT Evangelist

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Further update on my obs.
1) @beta-tester can you confirm that you didn't have "auto-login" enabled (from your O.P. you appear not to).
2) I now suspect I'm seeing a different issue in that when I find the cursor to be at pos0 an unwanted "auto-login" has happened. Exactly how that's being triggered I'm not sure but may be related to whether I shutdown from the command-line direct (whether running startx --> desktop and subsequently returning there or not) or from a remote login.) Depending upon whether I'm testing "stuff hanging from the GPIO's" I may log into a Pi (currently usually my P3B) fully (ie. command-line --> startx --> desktop) or just to command-line, and then "KVM" switch back to a Gigabyte Brix and re-connect via a PuTTY SSH session. In the latter case I'm often also remotely logged in to another Pi (a P2B) which is running the wiki from which I generate my webpages and during editing sessions therein may need to transfer 'photos from the Brix and console text from the P3B session etc. I usually "KVM" switch back to the P3B to shut it down but occasionally do so from the PuTTY session. I'm wondering if the latter is the "trigger" for what I've noted.
Trev.

beta-tester

Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:54 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:41 pm
beta-tester wrote:
Simply create a bug report.
but i still don't know, if it is an issue of Debian in general or if it is only an issue in Raspbian distro. if only Raspbian is affected then it makes no sense to open a (faulty) bug report on Debian.
FTrevorGowen wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:31 pm
@beta-tester can you confirm that you didn't have "auto-login" enabled (from your O.P. you appear not to).
it does not matter, if auto-login is enables or not.
i tried both.
without auto-login, then the cursor jumps to first column in front of the login message "raspberry login:".
if i use auto-login, then the cursor jumps to first column in front of "pi@raspberry:~ $"

DougieLawson

Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:51 pm

What possible changes would Raspbian need to the upstream package? If it's a bug, it's a bug in DebIan.
MQTT Evangelist

HawaiianPi

Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 pm

The bug seems pretty benign, as it doesn't affect the actual login process. I just booted my Raspbian Stretch Lite SD card and waited for the cursor to jump to the beginning of the line, then I entered my login name and password as always, and even though it looked odd on the screen, the login worked as expected.

So you can pretty much ignore it as far as I can tell.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

beta-tester

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:12 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 pm
So you can pretty much ignore it as far as I can tell.
yes, i know, that it is more an "cosmetically" issue.
but it looks so ugly.
i want to know the reason why it happens and where exactly it cames from to get rid of that issue.
or better to tell it somebody who is responseble for that issue.

shatteredsword

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:26 pm

this bug is still around and honestly the only reason i haven't moved to Stretch.
It also doesn't just do it at login, sometimes it will jump in the middle of typing a command.

HawaiianPi

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:57 am

Are you all still experiencing this after fully updating the OS?

There was a pretty big update/upgrade recently, and I haven't seen the cursor jump since then.

Tested on Raspberry Pi Zero v1.3 and Pi3B
2017-09-07 Raspbian Stretch Lite

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
Tested with SSH and a serial console cable and observed no cursor jump in Windows 10 WSL terminal. Also, no cursor jump in PuTTY terminal (SSH) or Raspbian Stretch Linux terminal on my Pi3 (SSH from Pi3 to Pi Zero).

Rebooted a bunch of times to see if it was a fluke, but it seems to be fixed.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

beta-tester

Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:47 pm

i did the upgrade, and indeed i go a new bootloader and kernel "...raspberrypi-kernel (1.20171029-1) over (1.20170811-1)..."
but i still have the exact same issue.
RPI1, Raspbian Stretch Lite, directly connected to TV via HDMI.
booting RPi, showing up "raspberry login:", after some seconds the cursor jumps to the first column of the same row.
sometimes the cursor only jumps to the first column, sometimes the cursor jumps to the first column and deletes everything between previous position and first column position.

Return to “Raspbian”