Page 6 of 8

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm
by Rascas
cjan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:21 pm
does kodi support VP9 stream?

got a vp9 file, omxplayer can not play at all.
kodi can play but choppy and A/V not sync, or Pis just less power?
btw, mpv-rpi do the good job for vp9 format.
AFAIK Kodi supports VP9 but the Raspberry Pi does not have a VP9 hardware video decoder. So VP9 will be software decoded on the Raspberry Pi in every program, so it might not work good on it, I think I never tried to play vp9 videos in Kodi on the RPi.
Kodi uses ffmpeg, version 3.1.X on Kodi 17.6 which is still the latest stable version. I don't know what mpv-rpi is exactly but the normal mpv also uses ffmpeg. And I don't know what is the version available on the repos (I think it is the normal version, without RPi optimizations), and what version of ffmpeg it is based. Latest version of ffmpeg might have more vp9 optimizations, I am not on par with it.
It should be better for you to ask it on Kodi forums.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:49 pm
by cjan
Rascas wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm
AFAIK Kodi supports VP9 but the Raspberry Pi does not have a VP9 hardware video decoder. So VP9 will be software decoded on the Raspberry Pi in every program, so it might not work good on it, I think I never tried to play vp9 videos in Kodi on the RPi.
Kodi uses ffmpeg, version 3.1.X on Kodi 17.6 which is still the latest stable version. I don't know what mpv-rpi is exactly but the normal mpv also uses ffmpeg. And I don't know what is the version available on the repos (I think it is the normal version, without RPi optimizations), and what version of ffmpeg it is based. Latest version of ffmpeg might have more vp9 optimizations, I am not on par with it.
It should be better for you to ask it on Kodi forums.
Raspbian Repos had ffmpeg-mmal supported now, so do you need rebuild kodi again?
and, mpv-rpi just build with --enable-rpi.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 pm
by Rascas
cjan wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:49 pm
Rascas wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm
AFAIK Kodi supports VP9 but the Raspberry Pi does not have a VP9 hardware video decoder. So VP9 will be software decoded on the Raspberry Pi in every program, so it might not work good on it, I think I never tried to play vp9 videos in Kodi on the RPi.
Kodi uses ffmpeg, version 3.1.X on Kodi 17.6 which is still the latest stable version. I don't know what mpv-rpi is exactly but the normal mpv also uses ffmpeg. And I don't know what is the version available on the repos (I think it is the normal version, without RPi optimizations), and what version of ffmpeg it is based. Latest version of ffmpeg might have more vp9 optimizations, I am not on par with it.
It should be better for you to ask it on Kodi forums.
Raspbian Repos had ffmpeg-mmal supported now, so do you need rebuild kodi again?
and, mpv-rpi just build with --enable-rpi.
Kodi on Raspbian Repos (and pretty much most of all OSs for the RPi that I know off) does not use external ffmpeg libraries, they use their own ffmpeg version which is built in. It has mmal and omx support for a long time ago, besides h265 neon optimizations and others patches/optimizations. You can always build Kodi with an external ffmpeg version but it is not recommended, because of compatibility and stability issues. So Kodi does not need to be rebuilt, it is working just fine and it is already on the latest stable version. But you have all the code at the end of the first post, if you have any proposal to make it better feel free to open a pull request.

PS: about mpv-rpi, I don't use it, Kodi works fine for my multimedia needs.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 am
by cjan
kodi back to system took 5 secs, why?
in Alarm 1 sec only.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:24 am
by Rascas
cjan wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 am
kodi back to system took 5 secs, why?
in Alarm 1 sec only.
What ?

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:31 am
by cjan
Rascas wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:24 am
cjan wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 am
kodi back to system took 5 secs, why?
in Alarm 1 sec only.
What ?
kodi back to Desktop(system)?

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 am
by Rascas
cjan wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:31 am
Rascas wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:24 am
cjan wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 am
kodi back to system took 5 secs, why?
in Alarm 1 sec only.
What ?
kodi back to Desktop(system)?
I still don't understand what you want. What alarm ? If you have any problem please explain it better and post your Kodi log.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:21 am
by cjan
Rascas wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 am
I still don't understand what you want. What alarm ? If you have any problem please explain it better and post your Kodi log.
O..p, my english so bad :(
raspbian -> kodi -> raspbian 5 secs.
Alarm is Arch linux arm.

ps. no error no log.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:37 am
by Rascas
cjan wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:21 am
Rascas wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 am
I still don't understand what you want. What alarm ? If you have any problem please explain it better and post your Kodi log.
O..p, my english so bad :(
raspbian -> kodi -> raspbian 5 secs.
Alarm is Arch linux arm.

ps. no error no log.
2,3,4,5 seconds to quit seems normal for me. Depends on many things, like rpi version, microSD card, addons active, etc. On windows and ubuntu on x86 machines it generally takes more time to quit. A debug log is needed to see if you have a problem or not.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:05 am
by cjan
Rascas wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:37 am
cjan wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:21 am
Rascas wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:36 am
I still don't understand what you want. What alarm ? If you have any problem please explain it better and post your Kodi log.
O..p, my english so bad :(
raspbian -> kodi -> raspbian 5 secs.
Alarm is Arch linux arm.

ps. no error no log.
2,3,4,5 seconds to quit seems normal for me. Depends on many things, like rpi version, microSD card, addons active, etc. On windows and ubuntu on x86 machines it generally takes more time to quit. A debug log is needed to see if you have a problem or not.
no complaint, just saying.
same Pi and same addon etc, kodi in Alarm faster.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:15 am
by Rascas
No it is not, the speed is just the same, I tested it myself, and also tested LibreElec and OSMC. And Kodi on Arch Linux misses some things compared with others like mmal, 3d bluray support, some optimizations like h265, etc.
You can have some problem with your Raspbian + Kodi but without more information and a debug log I can't tell...

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:01 pm
by cjan
kodi updated, what is note?

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:29 pm
by Rascas
cjan wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:01 pm
kodi updated, what is note?
https://github.com/PIPplware/xbmc/commi ... c33f3cb314

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:09 am
by cjan
does kodi play AV1 format when ffmpeg compiled with aom?

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:56 pm
by Rascas
cjan wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:09 am
does kodi play AV1 format when ffmpeg compiled with aom?
I think AV1 support is only available on ffmpeg 4.0, so only on Kodi 18.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 am
by cjan
Rascas wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:49 pm
Kodi 18 will be available when the stable version is released. We might provide test versions of Kodi 18 in a separate repo when the beta/rc versions become available. We will post it here then.
hey, kodi 18 is beta2 now.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:39 pm
by andy1771
Hey there, I'm new to raspberry pi. This Guide seems to be the solution. However, first I need to enable the option G3 : Original non-GL desktop driver but it does not allowed me to do so. It shows me a message saying the GL driver is disabled!. How can I fix this. Please help me.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:31 am
by Rascas
It is OK, "GL driver is disabled" is the message confirming that you selected the "G3 : Original non-GL desktop driver" . Just reboot for changes to take effect.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:07 am
by cjan
kodi can not launch today 10th/Sep. , don't know why?

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am
by Rascas
cjan wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:07 am
kodi can not launch today 10th/Sep. , don't know why?
There wasn't any recent changes to Kodi packages. Does it produce a crashlog ? What is the output if you launch through terminal ?

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 pm
by cjan
Rascas wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am
cjan wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:07 am
kodi can not launch today 10th/Sep. , don't know why?
There wasn't any recent changes to Kodi packages. Does it produce a crashlog ? What is the output if you launch through terminal ?
sorry, its sdcard dying :cry:

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 pm
by Rascas
Kodi 18.0 Leia beta versions now available for Raspbian! More info here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5&t=222954

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:29 am
by mowman
mowman wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:15 pm
I upgraded my RPi2 to Stretch and Kodi 17.6 back in March without incident. 99% of videos are playing fine, as before.

The problem I've found happens at certain parts of 1080p 50 fps h.264 videos. It's sort of like a stuttering/freezing, but I don't see high CPU, low buffers, dropped/skipped frames etc. It happens reproducibly at the same points for a given the video. Portions that appear stuttery will play smoothly for a little while if I do a short jump backwards. In an hour long video there are maybe a dozen points of stuttering, and the stuttering usually resolves itself after about a minute, and usually at the point of a scene change. I suspect Kodi 17.6 might be more dependant on frequent keyframes, but I don't really know how to diagnose this further.

I tried increasing GPU memory from 160 to 256 with no effect. I restored the backup image of my Jessie/Kodi 17.3 install and these stuttery videos play fine.
I fixed my stuttering issue with 1080p 50 Hz on Stretch and can finally leave Jessie!

I added the following line to /boot/config.txt:

Code: Select all

disable_auto_turbo=0
With the aid of bcmstat, I saw on Jessie:
Board: 4 x ARMv7 cores available, ondemand governor (Pi2 Model B rev 1.1, BCM2836 SoC with 1GB RAM by Embest)
Memory: 1008MB (split 848MB ARM, 160MB GPU) plus 100MB Swap
HW Block: | ARM | Core | H264 | SDRAM |
Min Freq: | 600MHz | 250MHz | 0MHz | 450MHz |
Max Freq: | 900MHz | 300MHz | 300MHz | 450MHz |
Voltages: | 0, 1.3500V | +1, 1.2250V |
Other: temp_limit=85, hdmi_force_hotplug=1, hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
Firmware: Jul 3 2017 14:16:43, version 4139c62f14cafdb7d918a3eaa0dbd68cf434e0d8 (tainted) (release)
whereas, on Stretch:
Board: 4 x ARMv7 cores available, ondemand governor (Pi2 Model B rev 1.1, BCM2836 SoC with 1GB RAM by Embest)
Memory: 1024MB (split 864MB ARM, 160MB GPU) plus 100MB Swap
HW Block: | ARM | Core | H264 | SDRAM |
Min Freq: | 600MHz | 250MHz | 0MHz | 450MHz |
Max Freq: | 900MHz | 250MHz | 250MHz | 450MHz |
Voltages: | 0, 1.3500V | +1, 1.2250V |
Other: temp_limit=85, disable_auto_turbo=1, hdmi_force_hotplug=1, hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
Firmware: Nov 4 2018 16:31:07, version ed5baf9520a3c4ca82ba38594b898f0c0446da66 (clean) (release)
I can only guess that the Stretch kernel or firmware has changed the default disable_auto_turbo parameter because my /boot/config.txt is fairly vanilla with no overclocking etc. A quick search found no documentation of this change.

As a note, I did also try setting gpu_freq=300 (stemming from a suggestion by Rascas in an old private message after he reproduced the stuttering on a RPi2 but not a RPi3) but that did not completely fix the stuttering and seemed to result in a higher idle frequency. I suspect the turbo mode allows faster ramping than increasing the max H264 frequency directly.

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:52 pm
by Rascas
Has most may know by now, Kodi 18 Leia is now available on Raspbian.
Here is the announcement/changelog:
https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-180

To keep things easier to track, if anyone has any questions or problems, please post it here instead of the "Kodi 18 Leia beta versions thread"
Thanks

Re: [Guide] Kodi on Raspbian Stretch

Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:41 pm
by Rascas
Updated first post with more info, mainly because of some changes in Kodi 18.