sudo dpkg -i *.deb
It will complain about missing dependencies. So

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install
should hopefully sort it.

To launch

Code: Select all

compiz --replace
I think you'll be impressed by the progress of vc4.

feelslikeautumn

Re: Wobbly windows in stretch

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:07 pm

Nobody? I can't believe people are not using compiz on the pi. It works really well!

feelslikeautumn

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:27 pm

If you want to compile your own, the latest 0.8 code can be found here https://github.com/compiz-reloaded . If you want the compiz 0.9 series then the latest code is here https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz , but stretch already has a version included https://packages.debian.org/source/stretch/compiz .

I'm sure other gl compositor like kwin or Compton will work too.
Last edited by feelslikeautumn on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

feelslikeautumn

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Has anybody got kwin compositor to work? It doesn't want to start here, but kwin without compositor is working well (in fact the whole kde environment is very usable).

I've also tried gnome-shell which loads, but the performance is nowhere near as good as compiz.

PeterO

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:22 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Nobody? I can't believe people are not using compiz on the pi. It works really well!
I expect most people here are doing useful things with their PIs !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

feelslikeautumn

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:31 pm

PeterO wrote:
feelslikeautumn wrote:
PeterO
Another award winning post from the raspberry pi forum. Well done.

PeterO

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:37 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:31 pm
PeterO wrote:
feelslikeautumn wrote:
PeterO
Another award winning post from the raspberry pi forum. Well done.
Do you think "wobbly windows" are anything other than pointless eye candy ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

feelslikeautumn

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm

There is more to compiz (and other gl compositors) than wobbly windows. I used it as a title since it is somewhat iconic. If you were visually impaired you may find the zoom effect a very useful feature.

Most of the stuff I read that has been done with a pi I think is useless/pointless/trivial/a waste of time. Do I go posting on their threads? No I don't. I respect the work of other people.

If people are not going to use the vc4 driver, them what is the point of developing it? I wanted to highlight the progress that has been made. Something that has so far not been recognised by this site.

ksharindam

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Good job. Do I need to activate open gl driver to use this compiz package?

feelslikeautumn

Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 pm

In raspbian yes. Otherwise it will run with software rendering, but that is so slow in raspbian stretch on the pi. You can use vc4 kms or fkms.

Anton2k

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for this! I remember using this when I first tried Linux (ubuntu) it was called beryl at the time. Great addition to the Pi! and there is nothing wrong with a bit of eye candy! ;)

Thanks,
-Anton

skirmitt

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:27 am

I succesfully installed the package posted above on the latest raspbian release with OpenGL (full) enabled.
The enhanced desktop zoom works very well and is exactly what I need but as stated before the black windows now and then can be anoying.
I tried fiddling with the forced refresh but that didn't help. The taskbar is most of the time hidden.

Any tips to make it work a little bit better ?

Also, would it be possible to enable compiz after startup ?

feelslikeautumn

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm very pleased somebody has found this useful!

At the moment compiz 0.9* seems to work better than 0.8*. When I did my original testing compiling 0.9 to use opengl instead of gles worked better, but I haven't tried that for a while, and it's a bit of pain to make it do that.

Reducing resolution improves 0.8. You may find you get less corruption if you autostart compiz from the start of the session instead of replacing openbox. I'm afraid I've no idea how to do this in raspbian as I don't use it. Sorry!

Kwin works well in the latest versions of Ubuntu. You could give that a go. (It also works under Wayland)

I've stopped working on compiz. I'm hoping to find some time to work on unity8 with the ubports guys. This should be very good for small LCD screens.

skirmitt

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:04 pm

Compiz crashes after using for a few hours and letting it idle (using enhanced desktop zoom). So, not an option.

Do you have this ubuntu build running on a pi ? Wich one do you use ? Can you enable and use the desktop zoom ?

feelslikeautumn

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:27 pm

Yes it's ubuntu on the pi. Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Mate all work well. Even Kubuntu works okay with vc4 (the annoying problem with kde is the extremely slow start up and the settings manager animation likes to crash under vc4).

Try https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/aarch64 ... b/16853/31 and install compiz (0.9) from the repos. In my config.txt I set cma to 256 and gpu mem to 16. I have a resolution of 720p. Don't go crazy with the compiz plugins, and don't have compiz running if you are playing with ccsm (compiz config settings manager). This seems quite stable, but I don't use my pi for hours. About half an hour of use and I want to throw it at the nearest wall!

feelslikeautumn

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:03 pm

skirmitt wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:04 pm
Compiz crashes after using for a few hours and letting it idle
Forgot to say that there seems to be an issue with vc4 and monitor power saving. If I leave my pi for a while and the monitor has turned off, then the system crashes/won't wake up.

Also there should be a new version of Ubuntu mate for the pi released in the next few weeks. Hopefully this will integrate well with compiz.

skirmitt

Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:22 pm

I had the crashes too while using Compiz.
I then installed kwin-x11 with KDE on the Raspbian image. Works pretty well even tough the KDE is a bit on the heavy side.
Kwin works very well ! Network manager is unusable for wifi, had to use WICD for that.

feelslikeautumn

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Yeah I really like kwin. I'm glad you've found something that works for you. I think the crashes are due to problems with vc4, rather than a compiz problem (0.9 is stable enough for my needs).

kwin can be used outside KDE. I think it would be a good choice with LXQT. I still can't believe compiz/kwin is not more widely used! Where are the youtube videos???!!!

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”