MrBorg

Raspbian jessie image will not boot - could not expand filesystem

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 am

I have now wasted a lot of time trying (2 whole days) to download noobs and jessie images from the download page. I have tried with 2 different micro SD cards (8GB and 64Gb class 10 cards). I'm trying to boot up from my Raspberry PI 3 model B. But get the error saying "Could not expand filesystem, please try raspi-config or rc_gui. Boot and root partitions are on different devices". I have attached a picture of the boot sequence part (RPI3_jessie_boot_error.jpg).

I'm having all my troubles with image "2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie" - is this images even working? Are all my sd-cards corrupted? Is it only me who is wasting terrible lot of time installing news images for my Raspberry PI projects?
Attachments
RPI3_jessie_boot_error.jpg
RPI3_jessie_boot_error.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Last edited by MrBorg on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaTTuS

Re: Raspbian jessie image will not boot - could not expand filesystem

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:18 am

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 am

MrBorg wrote:
I have now wasted a lot of time trying (2 whole days) to download noobs and jessie images from the download page. I have tried with 2 different micro SD cards (8GB and 64Gb class 10 cards). I'm trying to boot up from my Raspberry PI 3 model B. But get the error saying "Could not expand filesystem, please try raspi-config or rc_gui. Boot and root partitions are on different devices".

I'm having all my troubles with image "2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie" - is this images even working? Are all my sd-cards corrupted? Is it only me who is wasting terrible lot of time installing news images for my Raspberry PI projects?
Use Etcher to unpack / write the "Raspbian Jessie with Desktop OS".IMG to the SD Card, works for me ;)
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

Heater

Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:18 pm

The 2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie works just fine. I have used a few times recently.

How are you writing it to SD card?

I have used etcher without problems. https://etcher.io/

oscarv

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:52 am

I had exactly the same problem. Using 4 different SD cards that worked well before, and on two different Pi's.

In my case, the problem turned out to be that I used win32diskimager.

Using Etcher, the problem was gone.

Very strange, since I've been using win32diskimager for years...

Regards,

Oscar.

Milliways

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 am

oscarv wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:52 am
I had exactly the same problem. Using 4 different SD cards that worked well before, and on two different Pi's.

In my case, the problem turned out to be that I used win32diskimager.

Using Etcher, the problem was gone.

Very strange, since I've been using win32diskimager for years...

Regards,

Oscar.
The problem is probably due to the unusual image sizes.

As noted in viewtopic.php?f=66&t=188207#p1186371 the 2017-07-05 image isn't even an even number of bytes.

The 2017-08-16 image IS a multiple of 4096, but most imaging programs use larger block sizes (for efficiency) - typically 1M or 4M. 4M is probably the ideal, as this corresponds to the Erase Block Size.

Arguably the programs SHOULD copy incomplete blocks, but it would be far better if the Foundation produced images on 4M boundaries (or padded to 4M blocks) there would be no problems. SD Cards will ALWAYS have multiples of 4M storage, and as the images are compressed a few (million) zeros on the end would make no difference to the download size.

The comment by ShiftPlusOne seemed to suggest this would be done.

hommar

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:55 am

MrBorg wrote:
Test this release

oscarv

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 am

>> Test this release

I have not tried that one just yet - but indeed, a slightly older version worked fine with win32diskimager. As does the last OSMC image. Just the last two Raspbian image files seem to cause this issue.

I agree - it's probably the same problem that dogged me when I used dd under Linux long ago for copying custom images - the block size problem.

Still, if this is the cause (win32diskimager not working with the newest images) that will cause headaches and lost hours for many people used to using win32diskimager. Before Etcher, it was the default tool for this purpose on Windows...

codfangler

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:22 am

Well, I was also having this problem and deduced that Win32 was the culprit. But no........ I get exactly the same problem with Etcher. I have tried two sd cards and two PCs and still get the same response. Has anybody got an alternative solution?

B.Goode

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:31 am

codfangler wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:22 am
Well, I was also having this problem and deduced that Win32 was the culprit. But no........ I get exactly the same problem with Etcher. I have tried two sd cards and two PCs and still get the same response. Has anybody got an alternative solution?
Although you may have your own valid reasons for want to run a superceded release of the Operating System, have you tried - for the purposes of troubleshooting - downloading and installing the current 2017-09-07-raspbian-stretch image?

That might help show whether the issue lies with the downloaded image or with the way it is being flashed to a microSD card.

tellytoo

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:13 am

This was the exact problem I was having with the most recent Raspbian 2017-09-07 - followed the normal instructions to dd image to SD card and bam nothing. This seems to be a recent issue, it took me a while of googling to stumble on this post. Etcher mysteriously works.... but it still bothers me that dd doesn't seem to work anymore...

Return to “Raspbian”