treeHouse

youtube broken in chromium

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:37 am

I have Raspbian Jessie, standard updates (dist-upgrade, not rpi-update) on a RPi3. This problem occurs in Chromium. I have the standard pi foundation extentions, plus "uBlock origin extra" installed.

A few days ago youtube started to say "If playback doesn't begin shortly, try restarting your device" with the spinning dots infinitely cycling.

If I restart the pi, it will play a minute or so of a video before the it stops and the message appears with the spinning-logo-dots. No furthur playback will occur.

I've tried reinstalling the rpi mods, but no luck.

Kweb works nicely, but is finicky about what videos it will pass to omxplayer, so not a perfect solution, plus I'd like to be logged in to my youtube account.

Not wanting to have to resort to the command line youtube-dl for every vid, I'm wondering if anyone has any hints at troublshooting? For instance, is there a log file for chromium?

Thanks.

cjan

Re: youtube broken in chromium

Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:48 am

had reported months ago since PIXEL coming, after long time youtube play cause this issue.
but Devs ignore it, no one care about it, the only way is reboot and reboot... etc.

treeHouse

Re: youtube broken in chromium

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:49 am

The thing is, I've had this problem previously, and it was right after installing some video editing software, I believe both kdenlive and openshot (or shotcut ... can't remember which). At that time though, omxplayer was also broken.

After trying to find logs and other things to troubleshoot, to no avail, I tried reinstalling both chromium and kweb. The problem remained.

I wish I remember more clearly how I fixed it--It may have been as simple as uninstalling the video editors. I don't see why they would have an impact, but at some point it was all working again.

The problem with the most recent break is that I haven't installed anything new in quite some time, so it appears chromium's youtube functionality just died on its own, out of the blue.

Not a horrible tragedy: I can just back up my data and start again. It would be nice, though, to know what went wrong and why, if only for documentation's sake.

Return to “Raspbian”