asandford

Firmware upgrades

Thu May 11, 2017 12:25 am

I'm running an old (4+ years) system which needs to be upgraded to jessie at some point.

I'd still like to receive firmware upgrades which should be OS independant, do I get them?

DougieLawson

Re: Firmware upgrades

Thu May 11, 2017 12:27 am

Backup your SDCard to a bootable clone (since this could go badly wrong).
sudo rpi-update gets you to 4.9.27+ #997 with the latest firmware/bootcode and device tree stuff.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

asandford

Thu May 11, 2017 12:35 am

DougieLawson wrote:Backup your SDCard to a bootable clone (since this could go badly wrong).
sudo rpi-update gets you to 4.9.27+ #997 with the latest firmware/bootcode and device tree stuff.
Do you think I don't know that already?

My sdcard is a 2GB card with the firmware on, my OS is on a 1TB HDD

Edit: I want stable, not bleeding edge

DougieLawson

Thu May 11, 2017 12:37 am

If you don't upgrade to Jessie (and later to Stretch) then rpi-update and crossed fingers is your only option. Wheezy stopped getting firmware/kernel/bootcode fixes in Sept 2015.
MQTT Evangelist

asandford

Thu May 11, 2017 12:47 am

DougieLawson wrote:If you don't upgrade to Jessie (and later to Stretch) then rpi-update and crossed fingers is your only option. Wheezy stopped getting firmware/kernel/bootcode fixes in Sept 2015.
Yes, I know, but firmware and OS should be separated. There is no reason that if i don't run raspbian jessie that I don't get (OS neutral) firmware updates.

DougieLawson

Thu May 11, 2017 12:51 am

asandford wrote: Yes, I know, but firmware and OS should be separated. There is no reason that if i don't run raspbian jessie that I don't get (OS neutral) firmware updates.
That's not possible, the two are deeply intertwined especially since the device tree stuff appeared. You can't boot a non-device tree kernel with device tree bootcode. You can't boot a device tree kernel with ancient non-device tree bootcode. That's why rpi-update delivers both pieces. I don't understand why the apt-get stuff is broken into two pieces.
MQTT Evangelist

asandford

Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 pm

DougieLawson wrote:[
That's not possible, the two are deeply intertwined especially since the device tree stuff appeared. You can't boot a non-device tree kernel with device tree bootcode. You can't boot a device tree kernel with ancient non-device tree bootcode. That's why rpi-update delivers both pieces. I don't understand why the apt-get stuff is broken into two pieces.
I don't think it's impossible though. It's just a big middle finger to non-raspbian jessie users to merge the OS with the firmware. To an extent, the linux kernal should be indifferent to the distro being loaded - they should be seperate entities.

lahcejopa

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi,

I - for a change - run a Raspbian Buster on RPi2 pulling most of the packages from raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian (my sources.list below) and some from the archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ (mainly firmware-*, librasberrypi[0;-bin], raspberrypi-bootloader and raspberrypi-kernel).

The thing is that archive.raspberrypi.org/debian has no testing dist packages.

However these firmware/kernel available in the raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian seem very different (as they have "nokernel" suffix). Is there a way to:
1) flawlessly move just to raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian repo and
2) still have a recent firmware/kernel managed via .deb packets and not using rpi-update?

EDIT:
Forgot to past the sources.list file

deb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian testing main contrib non-free rpi #firmware
deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ stretch main ui

Thanks,
Lahc

Return to “Raspbian”