yossarian

Support timeline for Jessie

Thu May 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi,
I'm running Raspbian Jessie and I use SSH to monitor some things when I am traveling. I assume Raspbian will move to Stretch when it becomes stable and I was wondering how long I will be able to get security updates for Jessie. I'm kind of new to linux, so I don't know if the security updates I'm interested in are coming straight from Debian repos or are dependant on the Raspbian repos. I basically just want to keep my SSH access safe and updated.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

DougieLawson

Re: Support timeline for Jessie

Thu May 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Jessie went stable in April 2015 and Wheezy was dropped in September with some security updates until May 2018
The same is likely to be true with Jessie to Stretch (about six months after it goes stable for Raspbian to move to Stretch only).

I have three machines running Stretch from http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ already (although without any support for packages from http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ as that piece wasn't available for testing when I built them).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm

davesteele wrote:See Debian LTS
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS
The Raspberry Pi Foundation offer Raspbian which is a re-spin of Debian, when Wheezy wrnt end of life the RPF chosr not offer a Community Supported LTS. I would not ecpect the RPF to offer a Community Supported Radpbian Jessie LTS past May 2018
Retired disgracefully.....

yossarian

Thu May 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Ok, I think I got it. Don't expect updates for Jessie from Raspbian repos after ~May 2018.
Thanks guys.

ghans

Fri May 05, 2017 7:05 am

Uhh ... Wheezy is supposed to be dropped in May 2018. Jessie should be suppported till May 2020.

At least that will be the case for Debian.

EDIT: This only applies to the new LTS project. Mainline support periods were indeed shorter.

ghans
Last edited by ghans on Mon May 08, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 05, 2017 9:29 am

ghans wrote:Uhh ... Wheezy is supposed to be dropped in May 2018. Jessie should be suppported till May 2020.

At least that will be the case for Debian.

ghans
Only if it is Community Supported LTS. In the link above Debian state it is up to other people to support. There is no gaurauntee that any ARMHF specific security issues get fixed ?

Debian Long Term Support

Debian Long Term Support (LTS) is a project to extend the lifetime of all Debian stable releases to (at least) 5 years. Debian LTS will not be handled by the Debian security team, but by a separate group of volunteers and companies interested in making it a success.

Thus the Debian LTS team takes over security maintenance of the various releases once the Debian Security team stops its work.
Retired disgracefully.....

bstrobl

Fri May 05, 2017 11:38 am

If I remember correctly, jessie will use the standard repos for LTS, while wheezy required a manual repo change. As for whether support will be kept for raspbian jessie once stretch is out, that will be up to the raspbian maintainers. I belive wheezy support was pretty much dropped once jessie came out.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm

We will keep sucking down and recompiling updates from Debian for as long as Debian keeps releasing them. However pi-specific components (including the kernel) for jessie are unlikely to see updates once the default moves on to stretch.

ghans

Fri May 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Does Raspbian have dedicated "security" or LTS repos like Debian ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Raspbian”