wallarug

Re: Updating to the 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian image

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:22 am

dom wrote:

I think this comes from the script that disables overclock (ondemand governor) when shift key is held down on boot. If you have no keyboard plugged in there is no /dev/input/event.
The quick fix is to plug in a keyboard or ignore the (harmless) error message.

The less quick fix is to change the script that detects the shift key to handle no keyboard more gracefully.
Thanks Dom. ;)

cito

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:09 am

I believe I have the raspbian version from the main website

I've noticed in other posts people with newer firmware and kernels but I've ran apt-get update && upgrade && dist-upgrade and made sure I've got latest and greatest at least from apt.

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ vcgencmd version
Oct 25 2012 16:37:21
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 346337 (release)
[email protected] ~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

that's as of today what's showing but as mentioned I've seen newer kernels and firmware in screenshots in other threads and such.
I noticed that I dont have rpi-update with my distro I installed.

does it work with this distro?
and is there a changelog to see what's new in the firmware/kernels?

where I can find the changelogs to see what's new and is it ok to manually install rpi-update and run it would it work on my verison of raspbian?

I started with the raspbian on this sites preferred distros so was just curious if I could get better performance with the newer firmware/kernels ive seen in other threads.

I thought apt-get upgrade && dist-upgrade would update my kernel and firmware but I guess not

thanks for any help and such

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:41 pm

cito wrote: that's as of today what's showing but as mentioned I've seen newer kernels and firmware in screenshots in other threads and such.
I noticed that I dont have rpi-update with my distro I installed.

does it work with this distro?
Yes
cito wrote: and is there a changelog to see what's new in the firmware/kernels?
where I can find the changelogs to see what's new and is it ok to manually install rpi-update and run it would it work on my verison of raspbian?
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/commits/master
cito wrote: I started with the raspbian on this sites preferred distros so was just curious if I could get better performance with the newer firmware/kernels ive seen in other threads.
I thought apt-get upgrade && dist-upgrade would update my kernel and firmware but I guess not
apt-get upgrade gets you the latest "stable" firmware. rpi-update gets you the latest "development" firmware.
The "development" firmware has newer features and bug fixes, but may introduce instabilty (although that tends to be rare).
The "stable" firmware will be updated to latest "development" firmware soon (within a couple of weeks), assuming no problems emerge.

cito

Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:02 pm

ah ok thanks for the info

I'll stick with stable I guess since the new firmware will be coming soon anyhow. I was just curious for new features.

everything is working as intended atm so I won't press my luck and will just wait for it to show up on apt-get

thanks

Return to “Raspbian”