knuxyl

[SOLVED] xfce4-panel on Raspbian Jessie RPi3

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:38 am

I tried installing xfce4 on raspbian and set it to startup. i noticed my audio from my browser was like 3 seconds behind video and I had no idea what to do so I decided to start building xfce onto lxsession without using xfwm

i had the xfce desktop and panel working in lxsession and video and audio were synced in browser, then i installed xfce4-whisker plugin, restarted, and my audio was out of sync again. I uninstalled the plugin but it didn't fix the problem.

I would just use Xubuntu but it outputs the absolute worst audio output through composite, it's not encoding it right and it is mainly just very loud static, u can barely hear the messed up audio through it.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and can help? I'd much rather just get Xubuntu to work but I've already done so much work on Raspbian, so whichever solution I can get would be fine.

The specific audio problem I'm having with xfce4-panel and Raspbian is from Netflix, I didn't test youtube or anything else (which is working on chromium atm, i posted a way below)
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=175573

But it works fine with lxpanel and xfce4-desktop. I've narrowed it down to xfce4-panel, but I have no idea why it would cause these audio problems. Maybe I should try to get rid of the volume applet on the panel.
Last edited by knuxyl on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

knuxyl

Re: xfce4-panel on Raspbian Jessie RPi3

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 am

I fixed the problem by building upon openbox session instead of lxsession. I don't know what the problem was.

I just created an autostart in ~/.config/openbox/ and added
nmapplet &
xfdesktop &
xfce4-panel

and I have a completely working xfce4 environment with openbox wm with no audio sync issues.

btw, the whisker menu you can get from xfce4-panel is most certainly worth switching to xfce

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”