metaldallen

Can't connect microsoft 3600 bluetooth mouse

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:58 am

Hi Im using rasberian jessie (2017) and raspberry pi 3 model b. I have a Deltaco bluetooth keyboard that i made work, writing from it right now, The mouse pairs but it says, "paired successfully but this device has no service witch can be used with the raspberry pi". I have red on other sites that people have problem with this mouse and other bluetooth mices.

So im woundering if its can be solved somehow? It seems like a trail and error to buy a new mouse. But should it not just work?

Thank you in advance.

Douglas6

Re: Can't connect microsoft 3600 bluetooth mouse

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:58 pm

What is the make and model of the mouse? Is it a BLE (Smart Bluetooth) device?
[EDIT: Sorry, I see it is a BLE device. These types of mice will not work on a Raspberry Pi.]

metaldallen

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Oh :( can you rekommend a other one? That will work. Not so pricy.

Douglas6

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:32 pm

No, I'm afraid I've never used a Bluetooth mouse. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

EULERPI

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Douglas6 wrote:What is the make and model of the mouse? Is it a BLE (Smart Bluetooth) device?
[EDIT: Sorry, I see it is a BLE device. These types of mice will not work on a Raspberry Pi.]
The raspberry pi.org website https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 3-model-b/ says the Pi 3 B has "Bluetooth 4.1 and Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE)".

Does anyone happen to know what is the problem with using a Bluetooth Low Energy mouse with a Raspberry Pi 3? (apart from Bluez does/did not seem to support it)?

Does anyone know if the Pi foundation is working on software to enable the Pi3 B BLE feature to work with BLE mice?.

Regards

Nick (another Pi user (Pi 3 B) with a non working Microsoft Bluetooth mouse)

metaldallen

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:48 pm

EULERPI wrote:
Douglas6 wrote:What is the make and model of the mouse? Is it a BLE (Smart Bluetooth) device?
The raspberry pi.org website https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 3-model-b/ says the Pi 3 B has "Bluetooth 4.1 and Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE)".

Does anyone happen to know what is the problem with using a Bluetooth Low Energy mouse with a Raspberry Pi 3? (apart from Bluez does/did not seem to support it)?

Does anyone know if the Pi foundation is working on software to enable the Pi3 B BLE feature to work with BLE mice?.

Regards

So you have the same mouse and pi model as me?

Hope we can get some answers.

Douglas6

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:05 pm

BLE mouses are relatively non-standard at present, and require special (proprietary?) drivers. I'm not sure if support will make it into the BlueZ software, or manufacturers will provide Linux drivers. I'm fairly certain that the Raspberry Pi Foundation has no plans for adding BLE HID support.

EULERPI

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:34 pm

metaldallen wrote:
EULERPI wrote:

Regards

So you have the same mouse and pi model as me?

Hope we can get some answers.
Yes, its the same mouse model and my PIs are three Raspberry Pi 3 model Bs (with Nov 2016 or later Raspbian).

I just had to go and check what model my mouse was as I put it to one side once I couldn't get it to work with any of the Pi 3 Bs.

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be Bluetooth section of the Raspberry Pi verified peripherals on the elinux.org website. Maybe just a note provided from the Pi Foundation would do to be inserted saying what the present status is regarding the PI 3B and BLE mice.

I don't think its entirely trivial if BLE mice can't be used with the Pi 3 B as the mouse cost me half the price of a Pi 3 B. I acknowledge that PI 3 Bs can easily be remotely accessed from a PC with mouse now that Real VNC has been included with Raspbian/Pixel, but the overhead reduces the frames per second my OpenCV programs can process ( I need the mouse to adjust the OpenCV sliders on the screen so I can optimise the image recognition without hitting the Frames Per Second too badly)

PS I've also had a challenge with connecting to a Bluetooth Speaker from a command line/script but another forum user has just asked a similar question to that I've asked previously so I'm hoping for second time lucky.

Regards

Nick (still willing on the PI Foundation making hardware and software that encourages the young and the young at heart to be suRPrised and insPIred what computers can do for them and the community).

Douglas6

Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:12 am

EULERPI wrote: I don't think its entirely trivial if BLE mice can't be used with the Pi 3 B as the mouse cost me half the price of a Pi 3 B..
Sorry, I don't think it is the responsibility of the Pi community that you bought a device that makes no claims for working under Linux. No matter your cost. At any rate, your grief is with the manufacturer.

metaldallen

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi i have now brought a new mouse, bluetooth 3 (with out BLE) and it works. So bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) was the problem.

I now have a mouse that i can not use but well I have one that works now.

alpacalunch3.14

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:53 am

I was having the same problem. I bought a Microsoft 3600 Bluetooth Mouse and could not get it to connect to my pi 3 model b. I followed the instructions here to update to the latest version of bluez. After updating to bluez-5.44 I have had no further problems. I am able to connect to and use the mouse normally. Hopefully this is helpful.

EULERPI

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:37 am

Thanks,

I think I'll try the instructions on a spare micro SD card of the latest Raspbian Jessie.

Maybe the experimental version of Bluez will fix the problem of choppy Bluetooth audio output when wifi is enabled.

Regards

Nick

jonathancorrin

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:15 pm

I can confirm that the Microsoft 3600 Bluetooth mouse works on a RPi W. I followed the instructions at the link above on my RPi Zero with a Bluetooth dongle; didn't seem to work, tried everything.

Swapped the SD card over to a RPiW and it still didn't work however after some mucking about its now works. Not sure what made it work but I'll create a new image from scratch and try to perfect some fool proof instructions. ;)

jonathancorrin

Sat May 20, 2017 10:23 am

Okay so you don't need to update the bluetooth software. The following instructions work on a fresh image of Jessie that in downloaded I February 2017.

To install the low energy bluetooth device aka the Microsoft 3600 mouse:

Reboot the pi
open terminal window and type the following lines:

sudo hciconfig hci0 down
sudo hciconfig hci0 up
bluetoothctl
scan on

Press the discovery button on the bluetooth device, the device should popup in the terminal along with its bluetooth address, then type the following where X is the bluetooth address :

pair X

A dialogue box should popup stating that the bluetooth device would like to connect, press connect and then the ok button on the next popup.

And your mouse should now work!!!

Wizardling

Tue May 23, 2017 1:22 am

Those instructions worked great for my own Raspberry Pi 3 and MS 3600 BT mouse.

However there is one minor niggle, and it's very minor. I now get prompted to pair the mouse every time I reboot, yet the mouse is already moving the pointer. If I deny, it removes the mouse as trusted and it stops working till I add it back. Any idea what I can do to have it just work, as it seems to anyway, without this annoying prompt?
Frog blast the vent core!

Douglas6

Tue May 23, 2017 1:39 am

If you have connected the mouse using the Raspberry Pi's GUI panel, it should also be trusted. To be sure, open bluetoothctl in a terminal window, and check it with 'info <bdaddr>'. If not trusted, try 'trust <bdaddr>'. Close bluetoothctl with 'exit'.

Wizardling

Tue May 23, 2017 1:58 am

Simply removing the default BT menu applet sorted this - no more spurious pairing prompts :-)
Frog blast the vent core!

jdrch

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:09 am

jonathancorrin wrote:

sudo hciconfig hci0 down
sudo hciconfig hci0 up
bluetoothctl
scan on
You're a godsend. The above subset of your instructions worked for me on Raspbian 9.0, and I didn't even have to reboot. I had been struggling to connect a Logitech M720 Triathlon mouse (the matching keyboard connected just fine.) FWIW Blueman and Solaar did nothing to solve the issue either.

Thanks again!

alxt17

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am

Oh god, you are a life saver!! I worked on my MX Master 2S.

I was able to use my bluetooth(BLE) mouse normally but since yesterday, it cannot connect anymore. I've tried rebooting, reconnecting, deleting and adding device again and again. I even reinstalling the raspbian. But none of these works. I was even considering that was my mouse got broken.

Then I found your post and it worked perfectly!!! Thanks again!

jonathancorrin wrote:
Okay so you don't need to update the bluetooth software. The following instructions work on a fresh image of Jessie that in downloaded I February 2017.

Reboot the pi

sudo hciconfig hci0 down
sudo hciconfig hci0 up
bluetoothctl
scan on

Press the discovery button on the bluetooth device, the device should popup in the terminal along with its bluetooth address, then type the following where X is the bluetooth address :

pair X

A dialogue box should popup stating that the bluetooth device would like to connect, press connect and then the ok button on the next popup.

Ultcrt

Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:41 am

jonathancorrin wrote:

Reboot the pi

sudo hciconfig hci0 down
sudo hciconfig hci0 up
bluetoothctl
scan on

pair X

Thank you! I successfully connected my mx anywhere 2s

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”