Bosse_B

BUG REPORT: File Manager crashes [solved]

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:12 pm

I have discovered an annoying bug in File Manager:
This is the situation:
Yesterday I installed the latest image of Raspbian PIXEL on an RPi3.
When using File Manager I am configuring it to show the "Detailed List View" by default.
I have also set it to show hidden files and folders.
Now when I use File Manager and display the pi home dir I see the hidden config dirs in the left pane and whenever I click on such an entry (name starts with a period), then FileManager crashes!
It instantly disappears from sight!
If I instead double-click the same directory in the right hand pane then FileManager enters the directory and shows the content. Exactly like it is supposed to.

Why is clicking a directory in the left pane forbidden if the name starts with a period?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: BUG REPORT: File Manager crashes

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:55 pm

I have just tested this on my PIXEL desktop - setting file manager to show hidden folders and to use detailed list view. I see the hidden home directory folders in the directory tree column on the left, and I can both single and double click on them with no problems - they work exactly the same as non-hidden folders in that respect.

I've not made any changes to the behaviour of the file manager code - all I've done is to remove the box around the free space display at the bottom right; this shouldn't have made any difference to the display of folders.

I can't repeat the issue you report, so it may well be something else on your system causing the problem; there aren't any changes in the PIXEL code I can think of which would cause this.

Bosse_B

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Strange, this is on a brand new SDCard imaged with the Nov 2016 PIXEL image and started up that way on an RPi3.
I have now also done an apt-get dist-upgrade so I have the bleeding edge version of it.
Still the same.

I am using RealVNC server and am connected to my PC when I test this.
So I switched over to the monitor connected by HDMI and the mouse connected to the RPi to check.
Same behaviour...

Next I closed the VNC connection and repeated the test, same behaviour. FileManager crashes every time...

EDIT:
The reason I created this system in the first place was to have a blank system where I would test FreePascal and Lazarus installation scripts. So I have installed the dependencies for these as well as a subversion client. But apart from that nothing.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

spl23

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:33 pm

OK, that's really odd. Just out of interest, try the September PIXEL release and see if it's any different.

I've just double-checked on the PiTop I have at home which is running PIXEL with all the changes that went into apt in December, and that's fine too - I can't find anything that makes the file manager crash.

Does it happen with a completely clean (i.e. nothing installed) card with the November release and nothing else, if you use HDMI only?

Bosse_B

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 am

spl23 wrote:OK, that's really odd. Just out of interest, try the September PIXEL release and see if it's any different.
Unfortunately I don't have any more SDcards to test with...
Does it happen with a completely clean (i.e. nothing installed) card with the November release and nothing else, if you use HDMI only?
I'll see if I can get another SDcard to test with.
I have done one change and that is to get RealVNC working: I changed the password for pi.

OT: Why am I not getting any email when a reply has been done on my thread? The notify me checkbox is checked, yet I did not get notice of this reply so only when I refreshed my browser did I see it...
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Bosse_B

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:05 pm

I decided to scrap the content of my SDcard and start over with PIXEL on the same card.
So using the exact same PIXEL image from Nov 2016 I tested the File Manager behavior as soon as it was all started. Seems to work OK.
Then I installed all of the dependencies for my programming environment and the development system itself in the same way as before (I believe at least).
Still File Manager works OK concerning handling the hidden dirs.

So the bottom line seems to be that what I saw was a fluke, which is now gone.
All working fine. :D
Bo Berglund
Sweden

spl23

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Excellent - thanks for letting me know!

Return to “Raspbian”