lseidman

[Project] Flash

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:38 am

Great news!

As many people keep complaining they can't view YouTube or just Flash Videos in general, I have been getting closer to making that happen (see screen shot).

Bare with me, the actual code/project is a mess and trying to figure a way now to bundle it to work for all.

Attachments
raspflash.gif
raspflash.gif (53.49 KiB) Viewed 5322 times

ghans

Re: [Project] Flash

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Just one question : How ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

lseidman

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:16 pm

ghans wrote:Just one question : How ?

ghans
Well, originally U was setting up custom MIME Types and using user scripts to launch Gstreamer and using a bunch of other libraries but I have an even better and under 5Min Method, sad I wasted days for what now takes seconds...

The tutorial is at:
http://compulsivetech.biz/lance/2012/09 ... -in-midori

Which the video is being rendered & it will be on TechMeShow, my YouTube tech channel.

Good luck, tell me if you have success!

Code: Select all

/* Thanks,
 * Lance
*/

lb

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:26 pm

You are using Gnash, which is not a usable replacement for Adobe Flash at all. Gnash only implements a fraction of Flash's features and is very buggy and slow. Furthermore, hardware-accelerated video decoding isn't implemented.

We'll never have a Flash implementation on the Pi that works well. Just accept it as a fact. It makes a lot more sense to invest the manpower into making HTML5 video fast and accelerated.

lseidman

Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

lb wrote:You are using Gnash, which is not a usable replacement for Adobe Flash at all. Gnash only implements a fraction of Flash's features and is very buggy and slow. Furthermore, hardware-accelerated video decoding isn't implemented.

We'll never have a Flash implementation on the Pi that works well. Just accept it as a fact. It makes a lot more sense to invest the manpower into making HTML5 video fast and accelerated.
What features do you hope to receive that Gnash isn't providing you? Also if you want the true libflashplugin (my SS is what I was making my flash player around, not Gnash originally), install Firefox as it can use the actual Flash Plugin for Linux from Adobe but so far can't implement it with Midori.

Also remember, the PI has only 128-256MB RAM. Most browsers alone & the OS use a big chunk of it, regardless of onboard GPU Rendering, still need codec's, software that can efficiently use them. So, the miracle you're hoping for isn't likely to happen in something like Raspbian (on current boards) most video playback isn't going to be 100% if you have a browser loading a plugin/codec with 256MB or less. Especially if you're remotely connecting to the PI via VNC/RDP, straight HDMI output will obviously be better.

Anyhow, let me know what features you feel is lacking, I obviously don't see the ones you're speaking of (Unless you're speaking of Webcam, Audio, Storage...). I'd appreciate it, maybe we can make an addon to it or I will continue my flash plugin using the official adobe plugin. The best bet would probably force download of the video file as streaming + playback + limitations = tears.

Looking forward to your response & as always, thanks for your response, it helps tremendously!

/* Thanks,
 * Lance
*/

lseidman

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:17 pm

Well, I was just able to get Webm/HTML5 Video playback and via VNC it was awful but hooked it up via HDMI to my TV and wasn't bad at all...

How? Install FFMPEG & Install VLC, load the YouTube Page in VLC and it will auto-play the video.

/* Thanks,
 * Lance
*/

lb

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:36 pm

What features do you hope to receive that Gnash isn't providing you?
I'm not hoping for anything. ;) Gnash simply does not work in a usable fashion at all with most Flash content, and this has been its state for years. Moreover, the Pi is simply too slow and restricted for most Flash content, and I think we agree on that.

lseidman

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:46 pm

lb wrote:
What features do you hope to receive that Gnash isn't providing you?
I'm not hoping for anything. ;) Gnash simply does not work in a usable fashion at all with most Flash content, and this has been its state for years. Moreover, the Pi is simply too slow and restricted for most Flash content, and I think we agree on that.
Flash playback is absolutely bad, no doubt & yes the PI currently is underpowered & likely it won't change much even if I continue my plugin unfortunately, I can't get more than 16.7FPS & too slow to release, I'll be egged yet :).

So, I suppose maybe I will make a User Script to detect flash content for YouTube & send to VLC fot Webm Playback.

I appreciate your response! I do hate to give up on projects but over clocking doesn't seem useful or an easy fix for people.

On to finding what software/problems people are having and make solutions.

Have a good day!

/* Thanks,
 * Lance
*/

ghans

Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:07 am

Well , perhaps OpenVG could help with Flash acceleration.
And OpenMAX for HTML5 video . I think that the HTML5 approach might be easier to implement , too.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:03 am

Abobe did have a version of flash with an OpenVG backend - used on mobile devices. That was pretty usable on the Videocore 3. I got that working with graphics, but never got video working. (required interfacing to the decoders, I just did VG)

However, this was custom protoype code using the actual Flash codebase that was never released, and probably never will be.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

lseidman

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:50 am

ghans wrote:Well , perhaps OpenVG could help with Flash acceleration.
And OpenMAX for HTML5 video . I think that the HTML5 approach might be easier to implement , too.

ghans
I will try it out. I have to say VLC seems to run pretty good for me doing Webm.

/* Thanks,
 * Lance
*/

Sander

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:18 am

Some remarks, facts and opinion:

- Flash is proprietary, and non-open
- Adobe is stopping support for Flash on Android and Linux
- Apple has decided not to use/support Flash on iPad etc. However, you can watch YouTube on your iPad. So you don't need Flash to watch Youtube.
- My opinion: leave Flash alone and don't invest any time into it.

- Focus on HTML5 and future proof open standards.
- You can visit http://www.youtube.com/html5 to 1) see what your browser supports and 2) join HTML5
- If you visit http://m.youtube.com/, the video links are of the format 'rtsp://v6.cache1.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQkhJvEhEL5j7xMYDSANFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBWluZGV4YNO92pGV6PfVTQw=/0/0/0/video.3gp'
- On my Ubuntu, I can click those links in my webbrowser: via xdg-open, it opens totem, and totem plays the video. Warning: 3gp appears to be very low resolution.
- After installing totem on my Raspi, I can (kind of) watch youtube video's by using these commands:

totem 'rtsp://v3.cache5.c.youtube.com/CjYLENy73wIaLQmqJcepGxdN-xMYESARFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSBWluZGV4YJTM3OSFm5WmUAw=/0/0/0/video.3gp'
and

totem 'http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=0u8KUgUqprw'
- I was able to instruct iceweasel (aka Firefox) to open totem for rtsp:// links.
- IMHO it is more straight forward to make playing these video's on Raspi work very well. Maybe GPU / hardware support is needed?

ghans

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 am

@Sander
GPU support is what we need. Problem is that nobody , including me , is up to it.

ghans

matbos

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:03 am

It says: this video is currently unavaliable

ghans

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:30 am

@matbos
Youtube uses Geo-IP , Sessions and a CDN. Every ABSOLUTE video link is
unique and will become invalid after some time.

So just try using m.youtube.com or the HTML5 version ...

ghans

Sander

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:45 am

ghans wrote:@Sander
GPU support is what we need. Problem is that nobody , including me , is up to it.

ghans
I read omxplayer has GPU support. If so, then GPU support on Raspi is possible (and not hidden by Broadcom closed source stuff), right?

Anyway: to do some benchmarking, I downloaded this open source movie:

wget http://download.blender.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_480p_surround-fix.avi
Playing it with totem results in a stalling movie. Explainable by totem not having GPU support?
Playing it with omxplayer results in ... nothing. Just a few lines of codec info on the screen.

EDIT:

I changed the Raspi memory setting (CPU:GPU) to 128:128, rebooted the Raspi, and now omxplayer does play the movie ... and flawlessly!

Easy way to check your memory setting: "free -m".

So ... omxplayer proves that Raspi GPU acceleration is possible ... *if* someone cares enough to do it. ;)

AFAIK omxplayer can only play local files and cannot play rtsp streams. Pity.
Last edited by Sander on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghans

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am

GPU support is only exposed through a set of APIs.
Those are defined through the Khronos group.
Very few people seem to be fit in working with those , furthermore
there seem to be some quirks specific to the Broadcom implementation.
And the generic documentation does not seem enough.

ghans

Licaon_Kter

Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 am

Gnash works great, plays a lot of Flash advertisments, but no real content. :(

Regarding Youtube get minitube (apt-get install minitube ) and you can just download the videos. Playing them not so much, as it uses VLC and that's not (yet) accelerated.
BFQ+BFS or RT on a RPi? 4'real: https://github.com/licaon-kter/ (source and compiled!)

Hiro

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm

I know this is moving away from the OP idea of a browser based method of viewing Youtube but i think the best idea currently may be Whitey. Don't let the fact that it is a command line program put you off as it is very easy to use and will fill the gap until a browser based solution is found.
If you fancy a try have a look here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8157

lseidman

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Hiro wrote:I know this is moving away from the OP idea of a browser based method of viewing Youtube but i think the best idea currently may be Whitey. Don't let the fact that it is a command line program put you off as it is very easy to use and will fill the gap until a browser based solution is found.
If you fancy a try have a look here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8157
I will take a look at it, thanks. As for browser-based, Gnash works & VLC works for standalone but unfortunately with all items, they'll probably be slow due to processing power.

Thanks again!

/* Thanks,
 * Lance
*/

Return to “Raspbian”