MikeAlx

Wifi issue - wpasupplicant installed?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:58 am

Hi, forum and linux newbie here. I've been having "fun" trying to get my wifi dongle up and running (D-Link DWL-G122, vers E1). Having done a bit of googling and edited /etc/network/interfaces and suchlike, I've got to the point where it's seeing the network and trying to connect, but the attempt to get an IP via DHCP is failing/timing out.

My router uses WPA2 security. I was just wondering if wpasupplicant is a standard part of the raspbian install, or if I need to install it separately, as I gather this is a common cause of the above issue with WPA2.

I also note that lsmod seems to show drivers relating to Ralink RT2800 chipset, whereas the info reported by lsusb mentions RT2700 or something like that. Is that expected, or is the OS trying to use the wrong driver?

cheers
Mike

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Wifi issue - wpasupplicant installed?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:20 am

At the moment wireless networking is a bit of a pain. However, we are working on a new release which will include wpa-supplicant and associated code which should make things a lot easier to get working.

I'm not sure whether its installed by default on the current release, but you can easily install it yourself as necessary. (sudo apt-get install wpa-supplicant I think!)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

MikeAlx

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks for the prompt reply. Excuse my ignorance, but is apt-get going to need a network connection to download the relevant files from a remote location, or will they already be sitting somewhere locally?

Thanks
Mike

jamesh

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:48 am

It will need a network connection I'm afraid.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

andyroyal

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:02 am

If you've got another computer you should be able to download the package, copy it to the SD card and install it that way. Exactlly how you do that depends on the OS you're using on the RPi, with debian you'll install it with dpkg. It might be a pain to get any packages it depends on though. Try here:

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/wpasupplicant

MikeAlx

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:50 am

Thanks, will give it a try later.

cheers
Mike

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 am

wpasupplicant and various USB wifi firmwares actually are part of the current Foundation Raspbian image. The main missing thing is a nice UI included to configure that connection. The next image release will have this, plus we've finally pulled in the out of tree RTL8188CUS module.

MikeAlx

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:18 pm

So do I need to do anything to activate it, or should it already be in place? If this isn't the problem then I guess I have to look elsewhere (maybe try a static IP assignment, or temporarily switch over to WEP).

Just a thought - could it be a power issue? The dongle is pulling its power straight from the Raspi at the moment. I'm wondering if it might need a powered hub.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:22 pm

MikeAlx wrote:So do I need to do anything to activate it, or should it already be in place? If this isn't the problem then I guess I have to look elsewhere (maybe try a static IP assignment, or temporarily switch over to WEP).

Just a thought - could it be a power issue? The dongle is pulling its power straight from the Raspi at the moment. I'm wondering if it might need a powered hub.
Yes it's very possible it's a power issue. I've seen very odd behaviour with underpowered USB wifi dongles. You should just be able to use a standard Debian config guide like: http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#wpa_supplicant

MikeAlx

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:45 am

Yay! Success! Looks like it was a config issue after all. Adding gateway, broadcast and netmask values into /etc/network/interfaces seemed to help the dhcp process.

lseidman

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:18 pm

I recommend also grabbing netcf from the repository, it's a good tool for WiFi.

Also, make sure your wpa_supplicant.conf exists.

Code: Select all

/* Thanks,
 * Lance
*/

MikeAlx

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:03 pm

Thanks for the netcf tip - will have a look at it. Wireless seems to be working reliably now. I've set it up with a static IP and have installed TightVNC - handy for using it from my PC. Before I got my RasPi, I'd never noticed how much my wife hogs the TV! :lol:

Return to “Raspbian”