Alvaro

Today's upgrade - reboot required?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:32 pm

After typing apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, I got this:

Code: Select all

The following packages will be upgraded:
  libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0
  raspberrypi-bootloader
Are these firmware packages, and do they require a reboot?

Jamstah

Re: Today's upgrade - reboot required?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:39 pm

Yes.

To be exact, its the files in raspberrypi-bootloader that need the reboot. That package includes the firmware and the kernel.

Alvaro

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks.

gstreeter

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:01 pm

A warning or better name of the update would have been useful in order to avoid my custom kernel getting overwritten. Can you maybe see your way to separating out Deb package updates from kernel and firmware updates to avoid this issue in the future please?

TarjeiB

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:46 am

gstreeter wrote:A warning or better name of the update would have been useful in order to avoid my custom kernel getting overwritten. Can you maybe see your way to separating out Deb package updates from kernel and firmware updates to avoid this issue in the future please?
I personally use this solution:

sudo echo "raspberrypi-bootloader hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
will stop the bootloader package (kernel) from updating.

If you want to upgrade the firmware, use 'rpi-update' like this:

sudo SKIP_KERNEL=1 rpi-update
it will not overwrite your custom kernel, but update the firmware.

nicknml

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:51 am

I ran the upgrade yesterday that somehow resulted in my start.elf being deleted.

I ran apt-get upgrade today and here is what it did:

Setting up raspberrypi-bootloader (1.20120831-1) ...
Your current start.elf is the same as arm240_start.elf
Was not able to detect current memory split
No diversion 'diversion of /boot/arm128_start.elf by rpikernelhack', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /boot/arm192_start.elf by rpikernelhack', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /boot/arm224_start.elf by rpikernelhack', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /boot/arm240_start.elf by rpikernelhack', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /boot/bootcode.bin by rpikernelhack', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /boot/kernel.img by rpikernelhack', none removed.

I looked in in the boot folder and it apparently has removed arm128_start.elf, arm192_start.elf, etc

Crap, now it won't boot up :(. UPDATE: simply pulled some of the missing files from the raspbian image file that got deleted and it's working again.

nicknml

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:46 pm

By the way, is there a quick way do get those files in the /boot directory updated to the latest versions (I'm guessing that's what raspberrypi-bootloader what attempting to do)?

TarjeiB

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:04 pm

nicknml wrote:By the way, is there a quick way do get those files in the /boot directory updated to the latest versions (I'm guessing that's what raspberrypi-bootloader what attempting to do)?
You can use "rpi-update" for that to get the newest test-stuff in /boot. You'll find it on google if it's not on your system already :)

nicknml

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 pm

TarjeiB wrote:
nicknml wrote:By the way, is there a quick way do get those files in the /boot directory updated to the latest versions (I'm guessing that's what raspberrypi-bootloader what attempting to do)?
You can use "rpi-update" for that to get the newest test-stuff in /boot. You'll find it on google if it's not on your system already :)
I'm just interested in the latest stable versions.

TarjeiB

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:39 pm

nicknml wrote: I'm just interested in the latest stable versions.
I'm not sure I understand - do you mean the latest stable versions of kernel AND firmware? In that case, just let the packages update and you're on the latest stable version.

If you want the stable firmware but custom kernel, I'm not sure if there's an easy solution at the moment.

nicknml

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:50 pm

TarjeiB wrote:
nicknml wrote: I'm just interested in the latest stable versions.
I'm not sure I understand - do you mean the latest stable versions of kernel AND firmware? In that case, just let the packages update and you're on the latest stable version.

If you want the stable firmware but custom kernel, I'm not sure if there's an easy solution at the moment.
I meant the former, since I had to replace some of the files from the original image that are older than the current ones (note the firmware itself appears to be updated, it has a date of August 25th). I ran apt-get install -reinstall raspberrypi-bootloader and it appears to have worked this time (file hashes differ.)

cutterjohn

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:54 pm

nicknml wrote:I'm just interested in the latest stable versions.
Then you should be OK as the user above suggested, hold raspberrypi-bootloader package, and use hexxeh's rpi-update script with the argument to hold updating the kernel, assuming that you're running your own kernel build.

Looks to me like all the raspberrypi-bootloader package does is add in the latest fw builds, while retaining the 3.1.9+ base kernel builds(if any) while rpi-update has the latest fw build + the 3.2.27+ kernel.

Personally I'm going the rpi-update (complete latest fw + kernel, no reason for me to build my own kernel ATM, and I've still yet to get my desktop setup to cross-compile via distcc for the rpi... ) with no real problems so far, and have raspberrypi-bootloader held.

So how is the kernel config interface these days? I've been through text file version, and curses text console verrsion, but I haven't bothered to compile my own kernel in almost a decade now. (Initially because it took so long for little added benefit, then out of sheer laziness that packaged kernel had everything that I needed enabled already.)

(distcc as I've alread modified and re-built some modestly complex sw packages that took hours to build(thankfully on first pass), and frankly I don't have the patience for such lengthy compiles IF they end in a late compiletime error out, e.g. badly configure autogen script that misses out on thorough deps... I've had that happen on a smaller package(10m or so compile) and it was such a case that the package had to be "clean" to successfully finish compile, so some lib deps that crapped out linking before some additional ancillary packages got compiled... a real mess...)

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:03 pm

cutterjohn wrote: Looks to me like all the raspberrypi-bootloader package does is add in the latest fw builds, while retaining the 3.1.9+ base kernel builds(if any) while rpi-update has the latest fw build + the 3.2.27+ kernel.
No, raspberrypi-bootloader now has 3.2.27. It's just updated fairly irregularly. For a more frequently updated apt repo see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&p=165244

Or of course use rpi-update if you prefer.

cutterjohn

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 pm

asb wrote:
cutterjohn wrote: Looks to me like all the raspberrypi-bootloader package does is add in the latest fw builds, while retaining the 3.1.9+ base kernel builds(if any) while rpi-update has the latest fw build + the 3.2.27+ kernel.
No, raspberrypi-bootloader now has 3.2.27. It's just updated fairly irregularly. For a more frequently updated apt repo see http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 0&p=165244

Or of course use rpi-update if you prefer.
well, they've gone and well and truly broken it now.

libraspberrypi0 now DEPENDS upon raspberrypi-bootloader which means with the latest update I am now stalled at:

The following packages have been kept back:
  libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 raspberrypi-bootloader
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Of course the "workaround" is to FORCE install anyways, however I'd be MUCH happier seeing bootloader removed as a dependency...

Return to “Raspbian”