TerryC65

Running Raspbian 'Live'

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 am

Hi,

Is there such a thing as a 'Live' Raspbian installation. By that I mean that the distro is read from the SD card into RAM and then everything runs from memory.

The reason I would like to use this is that I am currently working on a Project using a Pi Zero to ring the bells in a Model Town Minster. The thing will have to run unattended for long periods (weeks and months) and suffer from uncontrolled shut-downs due to power cuts, operators simply pulling the plug, etc (no monitor or keyboard). A live instance will protect the SD Card from corruption.

Last year, we did something similar using piCore and this has been running successfully since March, but there are a number of reasons why it would be better to do it with Raspbian this time.

Has anyone done it?

r3d4

Re: Running Raspbian 'Live'

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:58 am

If you mean 'Live' like the "live cd's" that use squashfs overlay

Like heater talks about in the 'Raspbian with Read-only Root' hear
Heater wrote:I don't get the point of running from RAM when you can have a write protected root and an overlay file system.
I think i read that berryboot used/uses squashfs ect but have not personaly booted any berry boot image.

What are the advantages of Raspbian over piCore ?

TerryC65

Re: Running Raspbian 'Live'

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:15 pm

r3d4 wrote:If you mean 'Live' like the "live cd's" that use squashfs overlay

Like heater talks about in the 'Raspbian with Read-only Root' hear
Heater wrote:I don't get the point of running from RAM when you can have a write protected root and an overlay file system.
I think i read that berryboot used/uses squashfs ect but have not personaly booted any berry boot image.

What are the advantages of Raspbian over piCore ?
Thanks for that, I'll look into the idea of a read-only root; that may be all I need.

For us, the main advantage of running Raspbian is that we can use all the capabilities that Python provides on Raspbian. Last year, we wanted to use wiringpi2 Python wrapper for its hardware PWM capabilities, but the piCore image only supported the basic wiringpi lib, so we ended up rewriting in C. This year, we want to use apscheduler, but that doesn't exist in piCore, so we would have to build and install it.

All these things are doable, but the majority of the volunteers who run the Model Town are not that technically aware. Python on the Pi is getting a lot of support in schools etc, so it is more likely that the system will be maintained after I am long gone if we keep it simple.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”