ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Flash Player now available for Chromium

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:54 am

You couldn't possibly have an ulterior motive to say that? It couldn't possibly be that you use unethical practices to promote your own distro by smearing the official one?

Why don't you show us YOUR agreement with Adobe and/or Google to distribute pepperflash? It's in your distro after all.

If anybody bothered to download your distro, you don't think they would find non-free content? We license what we provide, how about you?

We also don't go around astro-turfing. You make accounts to ask and answer your own questions and then thank yourself (viewtopic.php?f=63&t=161996 and on reddit). Then you also talk, in third person, about how you're some sort of expert.
DNPNWO wrote: I read some of rive's posts here, and he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable when it came to cooling and overclocking. I think the foundation gave him a raw deal banning him.
When you get called out on it, you start abusing people and editing your posts.
CJNK3.png
CJNK3.png (48.15 KiB) Viewed 4588 times
Find a new hobby.

spl23

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:56 am

jbrams wrote:I would like to see that license agreement from Adobe as well. Maybe there is a reason why the foundation doesn't want anyone to see it. :?
The license terms between Adobe and Raspberry Pi are covered by a non-disclosure agreement. The "reason we don't want anyone to see it" is that we would be in violation of the NDA if we published it, and subject to the resultant legal action from Adobe.

This is standard practice for agreements between companies, and not (much as I'm sure you would like to claim otherwise) evidence of anything sinister. Companies do not generally publish their contracts with partners for all to see.

As far as an end user is concerned, the licensing terms are as per Adobe's EULA, as above.

Michele31415

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:10 pm

I followed the instructions in the OP, started Chromium and went to http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/livestream. That gave me a pop-up saying "This website requires the Flash 11.1 (or higher) player. You may upgrade your Flash plug-in by visiting the Flash Download Center." But it doesn't say how to make such a visit.

Is the Flash provided in Chromium < 11.1 or is it just not working for me?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 pm

Michele31415 wrote:I followed the instructions in the OP, started Chromium and went to http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/livestream. That gave me a pop-up saying "This website requires the Flash 11.1 (or higher) player. You may upgrade your Flash plug-in by visiting the Flash Download Center." But it doesn't say how to make such a visit.

Is the Flash provided in Chromium < 11.1 or is it just not working for me?
Are you running a fully updated Raspbian Jessie with Pixel DE ?

Is your Raspberry Pi a model 2B or 3B ?
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Michele31415

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:45 pm

"Are you running a fully updated Raspbian Jessie"

Yes.

"with Pixel DE ?"

If that's the one with the "road to nowhere" wallpaper, then yes.

"Is your Raspberry Pi a model 2B or 3B ?"

3B.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Michele31415 wrote:"Are you running a fully updated Raspbian Jessie"

Yes.

"with Pixel DE ?"

If that's the one with the "road to nowhere" wallpaper, then yes.

"Is your Raspberry Pi a model 2B or 3B ?"

3B.
Flash player is built into chromium-browser version 56, when you access a website with Flash content, playing the content should request that you enable Flash ( by default it is disabled )

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=162525
adieu

Michele31415

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:24 pm

Well I'm running Chromium Version 56.0.2924.84 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 8.0. But as I said before, when I try to play a video it doesn't ask me to enable Flash, it tells me I need to install Flash v. 11.1 or higher, suggesting that Flash is not installed. Could you go to www.tcm.com and tell me if you can play the videos there? Thanks.

spl23

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 pm

I've just tried that site and get the same message - it looks as if it is incompatible with the version of Flash available for Pi.

Michele31415

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:42 am

"I've just tried that site and get the same message - it looks as if it is incompatible with the version of Flash available for Pi."

Thanks very much for checking. That at least let's me know where I'm at.

bensimmo

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:06 am

If you go to
chrome:plugins
in the address bar.
Does it show you the flash version?

Michele31415

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 pm

It says

Code: Select all

Adobe Flash Player - Version: 11.2.999.999
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r999
which is odd, since TCM is complaining it wants > 11.1 and it looks to me like 11.2 is indeed greater than 11.1. Maybe it's time to complain to them. I'd really like to use my Pi as a micro-media center connected to the TV in the living room but this is a deal-killer.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Michele31415 wrote:It says

which is odd, since TCM is complaining it wants > 11.1 and it looks to me like 11.2 is indeed greater than 11.1. Maybe it's time to complain to them. I'd really like to use my Pi as a micro-media center connected to the TV in the living room but this is a deal-killer.
This is weird in Chromium plugins I get the above...

..but going to Adobes webpage: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATION
Your Flash Version
Your browser name
Google Chrome
Your Operating System (OS)
Linux
adieu

fruitoftheloom

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:30 pm

Look at the SOURCE CODE for http://www.tcm.com weird ?? I thought that web sites should be written for any browser ??

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<!--[if lt IE 7]> <html class="no-js lt-ie9 lt-ie8 lt-ie7 ie6" lang="en"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]> <html class="no-js lt-ie9 lt-ie8 ie7" lang="en"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8]> <html class="no-js lt-ie9 ie8" lang="en"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 9]> <html class="no-js lt-ie9 ie9" lang="en"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if gt IE 9]><!--> <html class="no-js ie10plus" lang="en" xmlns:og="http://ogp.me/ns#" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml"> <!--<![endif]-->
<head>

adieu

Michele31415

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Well aybe we're getting somewhere. When I go to that adobe site I get:

"Flash Player is pre-installed in Google Chrome, but not enabled."

with a suggestion that I go to chrome:plugins to select enable. But it's already enabled there. They also said to check "Always allowed to run", and that wasn't checked.

So I did that and went back to TCM. Same result - "You need Flash > 11.1".. Then while I was sitting there contemplating that message, it suddenly disappeared and I got the pop-up that wanted me to select my cable provider. So I entered that information. The pop-up closed and it showed me the first frame of the video with the circle chasing its tail buffering icon. But now it's stuck on that. It's been five minutes and it hasn't started playing yet. The Pi is hard-wired to my LAN.

But thanks very much for the suggestion. This is still progress!

UPDATE

I tried watching one of the trailers on TCM. These are free and don't require a cable login. That played just fine. So it looks now like just a problem with my access rights or something. Flash does appear to be working. Thanks!

bensimmo

Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:31 pm

That 24.0.... Is just another part number., they list the latest version with that number too.

You shouldn't need to always enable, chrome will ask you.
Is the Advert Blocker still running (I forget the name, ublock?) If so, try disabling it for that site.
Click on the icon and hit the on/off looking button.

Michele31415

Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm

There may be something to that. I tried watching a movie using Chrome on a PC running XP. If I open an incognito window, it sits there loading forever. But in a regular window, it loads and plays OK. I tried it on four different PC's. It works on two of them, not on the other two. Back to the Pi, I completely disabled the adblocker (uBlock Origin) in settings. But the video still won't load. It's still hung up somewhere. I wrote to TCM for help - like I'll ever hear from them.

spl23

Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:03 pm

The version number embedded in the ARM Flash Player is gibberish, as far as I know - it never gets updated to reflect changes, so don't rely on it as accurate...

Michele31415

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Well that's good to know, but it appears that Flash itself is in fact now working on tcm.com. I can see their free content (trailers, etc.) just fine. It's only the subscription content (actual movies) that's getting hung up and never completing, even though I am in fact a subscriber. So it must be something in their authentication service or something. I've sent a message to TCM about this, though I doubt I'm going to hear anything from them.

If anyone has an idea of how to figure out what Flash is wanting while it's showing that "circle chasing its tail" icon, I'd love to hear it. I have several other PC's in the house where I actually can watch that content. RIght now it's only on the Pi that it's getting stuck somewhere.

Michele31415

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Doing some more experimetning, I tried Firefox. That doesn't work either - it's always stuck on loading the video. Then I tried epiphany. As soon as I opened the TCM live stream pages, the following appeared in the console window:

** Message: console message: http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/js/watchlist.js @398: watchlist init from target

** Message: console message: https://www.facebook.com/connect/ping?client_id=1439234139722039&domain=www.tcm.com&origin=1&redirect_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fstaticxx.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2Fr%2Fao6eUeuGXQq.js%3Fversion%3D42%23cb%3Df2041222a8%26domain%3Dwww.tcm.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.tcm.com%252Ff297b0d928%26relation%3Dparent&response_type=token%2Csigned_request%2Ccode&sdk=joey @1: URL Blocked: This redirect failed because the redirect URI is not whitelisted in the app?s Client OAuth Settings. Make sure Client and Web OAuth Login are on and add all your app domains as Valid OAuth Redirect URIs.

(epiphany-browser:18650): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 83183 was not found when attempting to remove it
What the heck is that all about? I don't even have a Facebook account. I have no idea what they want here.

yavstr

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm new to the Pi and board and have been looking over some of the posts about Flash and AIR.

I can't help but notice people saying it's not available and never will be, but in fact there are some alternative Flash players out that will run on the platform. Back in 2005 I worked on creating a Flash player with a company in France and we did in fact have a Flash player running on ARM devices. We successfully played videos as well as custom made Flash games. I've lost track of the company and their development over the years but since the Flash player source code is available one could port over their own player for use on any device.

I know things have changed over the years and it does look like AIR maybe available for the Pi (very nice), and with the use of Python seems like it could give some of us old Flash/Flex devs a nice playground.

Cheers and happy dev-ing.

Gadgetguy

Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:47 am

spl23 wrote:

The version number embedded in the ARM Flash Player is gibberish, as far as I know - it never gets updated to reflect changes, so don't rely on it as accurate...

Please see my post at :
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=180278

Solved: register& use correct adobe flash version

xl97

Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:15 am

Hi gang-

Sorry to dig up an old post.. but I didnt want to create a NEW topic on Flash.

I know Flash for the web is more or less DEAD... but for closed apps and menu/gui's I think it can still create some amazing results..

"back in the day" I used to be a Flash developer (for several years) ActionScript (AS) 1.0 & 2.0.. never really got in to 3.0 as I could see the writing on the wall at that time and a new job led me more towards WAMP base apps.

Anywho..

I am not clear do Flash based apps/Flash Player work on the Pi 3 or not?

I dont want to 'go to youtube and watch videos'...

I want to be able to play/load a LOCAL flash file (.swf.. and all required assets, classes, .html ..etc) but loaded LOCALLY.. and displayed on whatever monitor/display connected to the Pi3..

My app also requires a webcam..

On a PC.. the flash app would:

* load via browser.
* detect and initiate connected webcam
* play the live webcam stream in the browser/flash movie..
* overlay flash animation/data over the webcam 'feed'

This all works fine and as intended when running from a PC...

my problem or more 'goal' is to see if can also run on the Pi 3 and work/bhave the same way?

I havent re-visted this project in a long time.. but figured I'd ask since stumbling upon this thread.

Question: Does this work for anyone with a Pi and connected webcam? (I dont have mine connected at the moment.. heck even if a on a PC please try.. I threw it together real quick a a test)

http://www.dmstudios.net/misc/HUD_test/ ... demo1.html

or

http://www.dmstudios.net/misc/HUD_test/ ... demo2.html

No web cam detection/usage, just a flash movie.. (with some effect tests for a damaged HUD/noise look)
http://www.dmstudios.net/misc/HUD_test/TV_test1.html

Thanks!

kusti8

Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:19 pm

Flash works in Chromium like it would in a desktop. And I'm pretty sure Chromium can open up swf files, so it should work.

But it would be much easier to just write everything with html5
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

spufidoo

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:04 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 pm
Thank you. Sorted that with sudo apt-mark hold rpi-chromium-mods.

There's no sane reason why the morons at MIT picked a dead technology for Scratch 2.0. The reason for that remains a complete mystery.
Couldn't agree more!

Return to “Raspbian”