User avatar
PokeEngineer
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: United States

OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:54 am

I'm having some issues when enabling the OpenGL driver. When enabling then after rebooting, the edges of the screen spill over... Any ideas? (Guess I know why they call it "experimental"...)
Be happy! Take a BYTE out of life!
(Also, a proud owner of 1 RPI B+, 1 RPI Zero, and 1 RPI 3)

:D

Check out my GitHub account: https://github.com/PokeEngineer

al887
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:46 pm

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:52 am

Sounds like a driver problem.

--
Aleks J. Vinson
Certified Java Developer
http://www.java-forums.org
Last edited by al887 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PokeEngineer
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: United States

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:13 pm

Can somebody actually help me?
(I'm not the best with patience...)
Be happy! Take a BYTE out of life!
(Also, a proud owner of 1 RPI B+, 1 RPI Zero, and 1 RPI 3)

:D

Check out my GitHub account: https://github.com/PokeEngineer

treeHouse
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:35 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:50 pm

What type of monitor and resolution?
Is it HDMI?

pfharlock
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:03 pm

I'm having a similar issue, the experimental gl driver used to work great for me, when I updated to the latest raspbian with pixel any time I enable the driver the pi get's to the first few lines of the boot screen and then refuses to boot. I've also tried with a fresh image, same problem.

Good luck, when it was working I had good luck wtih the driver, allot of games played great under it.

User avatar
PokeEngineer
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: United States

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:39 pm

It is a Vizio 22" HDTV Model M220VA in 1080p HD.
And yes, it is connected via HDMI.
Be happy! Take a BYTE out of life!
(Also, a proud owner of 1 RPI B+, 1 RPI Zero, and 1 RPI 3)

:D

Check out my GitHub account: https://github.com/PokeEngineer

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:30 pm

The GL driver currently ignores overscan/underscan settings, which is what is causing your problem. As we said, it's experimental - it's not finished yet! Work is ongoing to complete it, which will include having it respect overscan, but for the time being, your only option is to find a different monitor which will work properly with the fixed overscan in the GL driver, or to turn the GL driver off and use the Underscan option in Raspberry Pi Configuration to get your desktop to line up with the edges of your monitor.

We are working on improvements to the GL driver at the moment, but I'm afraid I can't as yet give any concrete timescale for when this will be fixed.

User avatar
PokeEngineer
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: United States

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:23 am

Well, hopefully you get that fixed soon since I don't have the resources nor time to get a new monitor...
Be happy! Take a BYTE out of life!
(Also, a proud owner of 1 RPI B+, 1 RPI Zero, and 1 RPI 3)

:D

Check out my GitHub account: https://github.com/PokeEngineer

User avatar
PokeEngineer
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: United States

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:26 am

And to prevent it from refusing to boot when enabling, I had to not immediately reboot but to shutdown instead.
Be happy! Take a BYTE out of life!
(Also, a proud owner of 1 RPI B+, 1 RPI Zero, and 1 RPI 3)

:D

Check out my GitHub account: https://github.com/PokeEngineer

cjan
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:17 am

if you are in Pixel, try to disable Plymouth splash.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:18 am

RetroPieNerd wrote:Well, hopefully you get that fixed soon since I don't have the resources nor time to get a new monitor...
In that case, I would strongly recommend you just don't try to run the OpenGL desktop driver. We've never claimed that it is finished and ready to use - far from it - that's why it is very clearly labelled as "experimental".

At some point in the future, it will become the default desktop driver, but we are not at that point yet, and we have a very limited amount of software resource to throw at everything we need to do. The OpenGL driver is not a priority for the majority of users, as unless you need to run OpenGL software, it offers no benefit over the standard driver, and given the Pi's primary remit as an education / embedded platform, there aren't many applications people need to run that need OGL.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 4942
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:27 am

spl23 wrote: and given the Pi's primary remit as an education / embedded platform, there aren't many applications people need to run that need OGL.
You seem to be arguing against it, so why is the RPF spending effort on it at all ?

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ghans
Posts: 7871
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:07 pm

AFAIK Broadcom (Avago) are financing it , not the Foundation.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 4942
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:12 pm

ghans wrote:AFAIK Broadcom (Avago) are financing it , not the Foundation.
ghans
Well I must admit I thought it was, but when Simon put "and we have a very limited amount of software resource to throw at everything we need to do. " I wondered if that situation had changed ?

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

ghans
Posts: 7871
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:20 pm

The foundation tries to make their official images to be at least semi-stable , but i guess
Mr.Anholt work and the rest of the Kernel move too fast ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

pfharlock
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:13 pm

Well, just to say it, I appreciate everything the foundation is doing. Great work guys, please keep it up. I'm sure you guys will work out the kinks with the gl driver, I think it will be a great thing for the community when it's ready. Thanks for the suggestion about the splash screen, I will give that a try, now that you mention it, that seems like a likely source of the problem.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:44 am

PeterO wrote:
spl23 wrote: and given the Pi's primary remit as an education / embedded platform, there aren't many applications people need to run that need OGL.
You seem to be arguing against it, so why is the RPF spending effort on it at all ?

PeterO
Because, as I said above:
spl23 wrote:At some point in the future, it will become the default desktop driver...

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:23 pm

PeterO wrote:
ghans wrote:AFAIK Broadcom (Avago) are financing it , not the Foundation.
ghans
Well I must admit I thought it was, but when Simon put "and we have a very limited amount of software resource to throw at everything we need to do. " I wondered if that situation had changed ?

PeterO
The driver itself is being worked on by Broadcom. Its integration with the Raspbian image is being worked on by Raspberry Pi. Neither part is trivial in terms of effort required...

User avatar
PokeEngineer
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: United States

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:25 am

spl23 wrote:
RetroPieNerd wrote:Well, hopefully you get that fixed soon since I don't have the resources nor time to get a new monitor...
In that case, I would strongly recommend you just don't try to run the OpenGL desktop driver. We've never claimed that it is finished and ready to use - far from it - that's why it is very clearly labelled as "experimental".

At some point in the future, it will become the default desktop driver, but we are not at that point yet, and we have a very limited amount of software resource to throw at everything we need to do. The OpenGL driver is not a priority for the majority of users, as unless you need to run OpenGL software, it offers no benefit over the standard driver, and given the Pi's primary remit as an education / embedded platform, there aren't many applications people need to run that need OGL.
Sorry I did not tell you this sooner, I was trying to play a little bit of Minecraft for Java based off these instructions.
Be happy! Take a BYTE out of life!
(Also, a proud owner of 1 RPI B+, 1 RPI Zero, and 1 RPI 3)

:D

Check out my GitHub account: https://github.com/PokeEngineer

User avatar
RichardRussell
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:22 am

spl23 wrote:The GL driver currently ignores overscan/underscan settings, which is what is causing your problem.
In that case I think there's a misunderstanding about what 'overscan' and 'underscan' mean. My monitor displays nothing (black) when the GL Driver is enabled, which suggests that the HDMI signal is out-of-spec. But overscan/underscan shouldn't change the HDMI parameters (the 'raster' in traditional terminology) they should scale the video within the raster.

I could live with the picture being cropped, or having a black edge, but obviously having no picture at all makes the GL Driver unusable for me. I hope it may be possible to fix this fault soon.

Richard.

cjan
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:44 am

have you try update to 4.9? there are big update firmware VC4 etc.

User avatar
RichardRussell
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 am

cjan wrote:have you try update to 4.9? there are big update firmware VC4 etc.
If 4.9 is only currently available as 'BRANCH=next' then no. A bit scary for me, but I might try it!

Richard.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35793
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:15 am

cjan wrote:have you try update to 4.9? there are big update firmware VC4 etc.
Most of the firmware updates are also done in the 4.4.48 master branch. You may not have to get the 4.9.9 kernel.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:02 am

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:46 pm

RichardRussell wrote:
spl23 wrote:The GL driver currently ignores overscan/underscan settings, which is what is causing your problem.
In that case I think there's a misunderstanding about what 'overscan' and 'underscan' mean. My monitor displays nothing (black) when the GL Driver is enabled, which suggests that the HDMI signal is out-of-spec. But overscan/underscan shouldn't change the HDMI parameters (the 'raster' in traditional terminology) they should scale the video within the raster.

I could live with the picture being cropped, or having a black edge, but obviously having no picture at all makes the GL Driver unusable for me. I hope it may be possible to fix this fault soon.

Richard.
I didn't say that the fact that the driver ignores over/underscan settings is what causes *your* problem - I said it was what was causing someone else's problem...

Over/underscan does not currently change the HDMI parameters at all, as there is at present no ability to change the over/underscan setting with the GL driver - the setting to adjust this for the standard driver is ignored by the GL driver - which means that if your monitor is not expecting the signal as produced by the driver, the picture will not fit onto the screen properly.

The experimental (and I stress that word again) driver is not as yet compatible with all monitor sizes and aspect ratios - for example, it produces a black screen on my PiTop, because that is an example of a screen resolution with which it is incompatible. Before we make this the default driver - and that point is some time off - we will fix these issues. But as above - it is still in the experimental stage, so expect glitches. By all means report them, but please don't expect them to be fixed in the near future!

marcelp1
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: OpenGL Driver screen issues

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 am

spl23 wrote:
RichardRussell wrote:
spl23 wrote:The GL driver currently ignores overscan/underscan settings, which is what is causing your problem.
In that case I think there's a misunderstanding about what 'overscan' and 'underscan' mean. My monitor displays nothing (black) when the GL Driver is enabled, which suggests that the HDMI signal is out-of-spec. But overscan/underscan shouldn't change the HDMI parameters (the 'raster' in traditional terminology) they should scale the video within the raster.

I could live with the picture being cropped, or having a black edge, but obviously having no picture at all makes the GL Driver unusable for me. I hope it may be possible to fix this fault soon.

Richard.
I didn't say that the fact that the driver ignores over/underscan settings is what causes *your* problem - I said it was what was causing someone else's problem...

Over/underscan does not currently change the HDMI parameters at all, as there is at present no ability to change the over/underscan setting with the GL driver - the setting to adjust this for the standard driver is ignored by the GL driver - which means that if your monitor is not expecting the signal as produced by the driver, the picture will not fit onto the screen properly.

The experimental (and I stress that word again) driver is not as yet compatible with all monitor sizes and aspect ratios - for example, it produces a black screen on my PiTop, because that is an example of a screen resolution with which it is incompatible. Before we make this the default driver - and that point is some time off - we will fix these issues. But as above - it is still in the experimental stage, so expect glitches. By all means report them, but please don't expect them to be fixed in the near future!
Hi spl23,

I wonder if there is any way to get the screen working on Pi-top with just Jessie Lite installed on the card, instead of Pi-topOS?

Return to “Raspbian”