HypnoToad

Re: RealVNC vs tightvncserver

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:57 pm

spl23 wrote:
HypnoToad wrote:I guess my machine may not affected by the bug, or the fix is now been pushed.
Everyone's Pi would have been affected - it means that we have indeed pushed the fix! I thought we had, but I wasn't sure...

With regards the lightdm question, it doesn't matter whether you accept the new version or keep the old one - in this case, the result is the same. The question is just a quirk forced on us by apt.
Gotcha, thanks, I'm glad the fix is live and working also. :)

Raspiportable

Re: Introducing PIXEL desktop: new Raspbian release

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi!

What's about Raspbian PIXEL optimization?

I want to save resources in order to use them in my tasks, so I always want a ultra-lightweight and fast / optimized OS.

PIXEL saves CPU cycles or RAM usage in Desktop or real-life software over Raspbian Jessie??
Benchmarks??

Maybe I try new lightweight Chromium with HW acceleration, in order to compare it with Epiphany and Iceweasel (Firefox) (all of them HW accel.) . What I should choose, if I want to mix saving a bit of resources and enjoy HW acceleration??

Switch on/off WiFi and Bluetooth in Desktop is GREAT !!

I have heard that Simon Long and their team has fixed several bugs and issues with PIXEL, so I feel trust with their work.

Bye!!
RPi 3B
MicroSD UHS1 Samsung
Maxi DIY Heatsink + Open Case.

Raspbian Ultralightweight

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:35 am

Raspiportable wrote:What's about Raspbian PIXEL optimization?

I want to save resources in order to use them in my tasks, so I always want a ultra-lightweight and fast / optimized OS.

PIXEL saves CPU cycles or RAM usage in Desktop or real-life software over Raspbian Jessie??
There are no significant performance optimisations in PIXEL over the previous Jessie release, other than some kernel tweaks and the change to a 32-bit framebuffer by default. (Which will accelerate some applications and slow down others, so it's likely to be performance-neutral overall.) We're not really looking at making performance optimisations to the core OS or DE; there are some VideoCore-optimised low-level libraries used for functions like memcpy, but that's about it.

Where we are making performance optimisations is in specific applications, such as the web browser and Scratch.

gkreidl

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:41 pm

spl23 wrote:the change to a 32-bit framebuffer by default. (Which will accelerate some applications and slow down others, so it's likely to be performance-neutral overall.) ...
I've always used a 32bit framebuffer (24 bits color + Alpha channel) on all my RPis, because I hate bad image quality. I've never experienced any performance issues. All the bit shifting involved with displaying 16 bit color slows things down.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Raspiportable

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:44 pm

spl23 wrote:

There are no significant performance optimisations in PIXEL over the previous Jessie release, other than some kernel tweaks and the change to a 32-bit framebuffer by default. (Which will accelerate some applications and slow down others, so it's likely to be performance-neutral overall.) We're not really looking at making performance optimisations to the core OS or DE; there are some VideoCore-optimised low-level libraries used for functions like memcpy, but that's about it.

Where we are making performance optimisations is in specific applications, such as the web browser and Scratch.
Thanks a lot for your reply!

I would be pleased if I see soon several optimizations on GPU, RAM and CPU usage, or reach same performance using less resources.

In your opinion, what's the best lightweight browser with HW acceleration to surf on Internet or watching vídeos ??
Iceweasel, Chromium, Epiphany....

My best regards to Raspberry Pi team !!
Last edited by Raspiportable on Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPi 3B
MicroSD UHS1 Samsung

spl23

Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:49 pm

gkreidl wrote:
spl23 wrote:the change to a 32-bit framebuffer by default. (Which will accelerate some applications and slow down others, so it's likely to be performance-neutral overall.) ...
I've always used a 32bit framebuffer (24 bits color + Alpha channel) on all my RPis, because I hate bad image quality. I've never experienced any performance issues. All the bit shifting involved with displaying 16 bit color slows things down.
Yes, in a lot of cases the 32-bit buffer improves performance; but there are some applications which output a 16-bit framebuffer, which now needs to be converted for the 32-bit buffer. It's swings and roundabouts - but you're right that the screen does *look* significantly better with the 32-bit buffer. We mainly switched over because of the new desktop images, which look much nicer in 32-bit.

cresfang

Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:23 am

Anyone can point me how to get the bluetooth and wifi switch?
Coz my bluetooth menu only show the old: Make discoverable, add device, remove device.
And the wifi only show current connected and available SSID.

I can't find the new menu anywhere.

Yes, I'm running Jessie latest with PIXEL.... I just finished upgrade from old Jessie.
Raspberry Pi 3

spl23

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:48 am

cresfang wrote:Anyone can point me how to get the bluetooth and wifi switch?
Coz my bluetooth menu only show the old: Make discoverable, add device, remove device.
And the wifi only show current connected and available SSID.

I can't find the new menu anywhere.

Yes, I'm running Jessie latest with PIXEL.... I just finished upgrade from old Jessie.
sudo apt-get install rfkill

cresfang

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:03 am

thanks..... ;)
Raspberry Pi 3

Ongelma

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:21 am

None of the tutorials on "How to autostart chrome in kiosk mode" no longer work after trying them in pixel. They all work fine in jessie. But in Jessie, installing Chrome was pain in the ace. Any new tutorials available?

Some frontend gui would be cool to enable apps from pixel desktop to autostart on boot.

cresfang

Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:43 am

Anyone notices slow IP obtaining (dhcp) from router since last update?
Prior getting actual IP, its assigned with random IP.
Raspberry Pi 3

spl23

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:36 pm

cresfang wrote:Anyone notices slow IP obtaining (dhcp) from router since last update?
I'm not aware of anything changing in the networking code in this release.

PeterO

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:55 pm

spl23 wrote:
cresfang wrote:Anyone notices slow IP obtaining (dhcp) from router since last update?
I've noticed ntp not working after some boots (but this is on a SD-cardless boot from a USB hdd).

Petero
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

spl23

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:01 pm

PeterO wrote:
spl23 wrote:
I've noticed ntp not working after some boots (but this is on a SD-cardless boot from a USB hdd).

Petero
That's been an intermittent issue ever since I started at Pi (and probably before), but we've never managed to repeat it reliably enough to be able to debug it. It seems to be very dependent on the network you are connected to, which means it is probably some irritating timing glitch somewhere in Raspbian.

Raspiportable

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:40 pm

spl23 wrote:

I have already installed pixel. Up to date, I'm pleased about high performance, RAM and CPU usage are very very similar to Jessie. A bit more "eye candy" than previous version.

Switch on / off WiFi and Bluetooth on desktop is very useful, and might Pi would be able to save energy when these switchers were off.

Chromium for Pi is incredibly faster! I'm very surprised!

I would be grateful if developers release new optimizations and save-resources tricks.
RPi 3B
MicroSD UHS1 Samsung

bensimmo

Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:59 am

It is still Jessie, that it the version number of the underlying operating system.
Pixel is the branding they have given to the look and features of their desktop part of it.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:15 am

bensimmo wrote:It is still Jessie, that it the version number of the underlying operating system.
Pixel is the branding they have given to the look and features of their desktop part of it.
It is amazing the ideas some people surmise from not reading what is written, on the Downloads Page it states:

Raspbian Jessie with PIXEL
Image with PIXEL desktop based on Debian Jessie
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

fs007

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:06 pm

I updated my pi with apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, etc. but i don't see the pixel desktop. When i enter startx i still get the old LXDE desktop.
apt-get didn't even download the new wallpapers tp /usr/share/pixel-wallpaper
Maybe my package lists are faulty ?
Any help would be apriciated !

kusti8

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:19 pm

fs007 wrote:I updated my pi with apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade, etc. but i don't see the pixel desktop. When i enter startx i still get the old LXDE desktop.
apt-get didn't even download the new wallpapers tp /usr/share/pixel-wallpaper
Maybe my package lists are faulty ?
Any help would be apriciated !

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install -y rpi-chromium-mods
sudo apt-get install -y python-sense-emu python3-sense-emu
sudo apt-get install -y python-sense-emu-doc realvnc-vnc-viewer
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

buja

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:25 pm

PIXEL solved at least one problem: I can now run Dia. :D
(see viewtopic.php?f=28&t=126974)

fs007

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:48 pm

"sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y python-sense-emu-doc realvnc-vnc-viewer"

That's exactly what i did, but no PIXEL Desktop.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:55 pm

fs007 wrote:"sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y python-sense-emu-doc realvnc-vnc-viewer"

That's exactly what i did, but no PIXEL Desktop.
Output of 'apt-cache policy'?

Edit: that is probably not a relevant question, if you were able to install chromium mods. Instead, is 'raspberrypi-ui-mods' installed?

fs007

Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:13 pm

@ ShiftPlusOne
You nailed it !
After apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods i i have a nice PIXEL Desktop.
Thank you very much !

But the next issue: Chromium doesn't start. No error message, just does not start !?!

Edit: Chromium runs when started by the user "pi". Does not start under user "root". Is that a bug or a feature ?

rpdom

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:34 pm

fs007 wrote:Chromium runs when started by the user "pi". Does not start under user "root". Is that a bug or a feature ?
You should never run a web browser as root.

kusti8

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:02 pm

rpdom wrote:
fs007 wrote:Chromium runs when started by the user "pi". Does not start under user "root". Is that a bug or a feature ?
You should never run a web browser as root.
+1
Never run a web browser as root. Chromium will not allow this because of how sandboxing works and for security reasons.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “Raspbian”