spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Introducing PIXEL desktop: new Raspbian release

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:23 am

Martinvb wrote:Thanks, I wil try this. Yesterday I tried to use the same commands to update/upgrade, but no apparent changes were made and the bug remained. I therefore hope that this fix is a recent one. ;) Best, Martin
Yes, the fix went in to apt late last night. It's there now - I checked this morning.

bmstrong

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:48 am

Interesting. I run/built/use a Pi3 at work for our Photo Lab. It's a surprisingly capable GIMP and Krita machine. I set up it with Ubuntu Mate for the techs but couldn't help put try this out to compare the two. Couple things:

Performance is significantly better on GIMP, editing large photo's, making edit's, etc. The whole distribution feels snappier and cleaner. Extremely positive comments from both the tech's on the feel, look and snappiness.

The WiFi is embarrassingly bad compared to Mate. Dropped connections, flakiness, in and out just make it unusable compared to the rock solid WiFi I've experienced with Mate. Is anyone else seeing this discrepancy between the two distributions?

I'm also surprised the ability to overclock is disabled via the raspi-config tool.

spl23

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:26 pm

For anyone who has noticed that Chromium in the PIXEL desktop image has been unable to sync with their Google account, this has now been fixed (the Google API keys were out of date). A new Chromium build has been uploaded to apt - to get it, type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
at the terminal.

HankB

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:26 am

No PIXEL for me!

I get the splash screen on reboot but when I login I have what looks like the original XFCE desktop. LXDE is installed:

hbarta@meeker:~ $ dpkg -l|grep lxde
ii  lxde                                  6                                         all          Metapackage for LXDE
ii  lxde-common                           0.99.0-1                                  all          LXDE configuration data
ii  lxde-core                             6                                         all          Metapackage for the LXDE core
ii  lxde-icon-theme                       0.5.1-1                                   all          LXDE standard icon theme
hbarta@meeker:~ $ 
I don't auto-login and have searched the welcome screen for a means to switch DEs but see none.

I tried 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm' and that made no difference.

I followed the instructions at https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-pixel/ including the three 'apt-get install commands' near the end of the blog. I just reran 'apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade' and nothing new came in.

Should I try a different display manager?

thanks,
hank

Edit: If I log in as 'pi' I get the new desktop. Logging in as my normal user gets the old desktop. It seems like something is broken because the display manager (login screen) should allow the user to choose which desktop environment to use if more than one is installed.

Dub

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:57 am

Don't hide your Raspberry bushel under a UI

At the risk of sounding like someone writing in to an old BBC programme, That's Life - Why, Oh why is there no Raspbian Berry backdrop for the new UI?

Some of us are proud to be using a tiny computer to do something useful. I want my (occasionally publicly visible) desktop to tell people that (not let them think a PC/Laptop's {pah!} doing it)

At least add a link-file to the old desktop image

Milliways

RealVNC vs tightvncserver

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:41 am

I note Raspbian includes RealVNC which is now supported via raspi-config.

I have tightvncserver on my Pi, and start with a systemd service.
I had noted references to RealVNC previously, but never tried (I was deterred by the need for a Personal license), and never found any reason to change.

What are the differences between RealVNC and tightvncserver?

One is obvious, that RealVNC is included in new installations, and supported via raspi-config.
It appears that RealVNC allows remote access to the default console.

Can RealVNC and tightvncserver co-exist. I note I currently have
/usr/bin/vncserver -> /etc/alternatives/vncserver -> /usr/bin/tightvncserver

mikerr

Re:

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:53 am

Dub wrote:Why, Oh why is there no Raspbian Berry backdrop for the new UI?
How about a good community challenge for raspberry themed desktop pictures ?
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Milliways

Re:

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:20 am

Dub wrote:Don't hide your Raspberry bushel under a UI

At the risk of sounding like someone writing in to an old BBC programme, That's Life - Why, Oh why is there no Raspbian Berry backdrop for the new UI?

Some of us are proud to be using a tiny computer to do something useful. I want my (occasionally publicly visible) desktop to tell people that (not let them think a PC/Laptop's {pah!} doing it)

Change your Appearance Settings Picture to /usr/share/raspberrypi-artwork/raspberry-pi-logo-small.png

sconemad

Re: RealVNC vs tightvncserver

Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:15 am

(Firstly I should say that I work for RealVNC, so my answers may be somewhat biased!)
Milliways wrote: I had noted references to RealVNC previously, but never tried (I was deterred by the need for a Personal license), and never found any reason to change.
The Raspberry Pi edition of RealVNC that comes installed on Raspbian includes a license that allows you to use personal-level features free for non-commercial and educational use. That includes encryption, system authentication (i.e. being able to login using the username/password of users on the system, rather than a separate vnc password) as well as various other features.
Milliways wrote: What are the differences between RealVNC and tightvncserver?
Well I can't speak for any other remote desktop solutions, but we have developed a way to capture the screen output at a lower level (assuming you enable experimental direct capture in the options dialog), so you can see things like Minecraft, Kodi and the console if X11 isn't running.
Milliways wrote: Can RealVNC and tightvncserver co-exist. I note I currently have
The packages cannot co-exist currently, because they try to install some of the same files. We are looking into this.

spl23

Re:

Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Dub wrote:Don't hide your Raspberry bushel under a UI

I like the old Raspberry logo as well! It's still on there - /usr/share/raspberrypi-artwork/raspberry-pi-logo-small.png

Dub

Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks, those who replied to my post :)

johndavies

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:21 pm

I did post a comment about not being able to see the #EXTINF:-1,Titles of Radio Station playlists in #EXTM3U files on a Raspberry Pi 3 after adding the Pixel Desktop. Before this update I think I was able to save these created #EXTM3U files on the Text Editor and see the Titles shown after #EXTINF:-1,. It appears that you now need to save these files using nano. You set up and name the file by typing something like sudo nano /home/pi/Radio/bbc.mp3. You can then paste in the #EXTM3U Radio Station list making sure that it has #EXTM3U at the top and has pairs of #EXTINF:-1,Titles and URLs.You save by pressing Ctrl and X, then Y and then pressing Enter. A Raspberry Pi 2 will also read #EXTINF:-1, Titles if they are entered using nano.

scruss

Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:58 pm

johndavies wrote:I did post a comment about not being able to see the #EXTINF:-1,Titles of Radio Station playlists in #EXTM3U files … You set up and name the file by typing something like sudo nano /home/pi/Radio/bbc.mp3. …
Not quite sure I follow you. MP3 playlists should be named file.m3u, not mp3. Maybe start a different thread if this problem's still affecting you?
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

johndavies

Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks. It was just a mistake typing .mp3. I do know how to use .m3u files

clint020

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:41 pm

I am using 23.sept. Pixel desktop.
I have 2 Raspberry Pi3 and both same image installed. And both crashed and needed power off-on
when I used Chromium. If I am remotely in my Raspberries I now totally avoid Chromium cause of that crash.

kusti8

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:43 pm

clint020 wrote:I am using 23.sept. Pixel desktop.
I have 2 Raspberry Pi3 and both same image installed. And both crashed and needed power off-on
when I used Chromium. If I am remotely in my Raspberries I now totally avoid Chromium cause of that crash.
Way more information is needed to know what happened. How long was Chromium open on the Pis? Can you see if any swap was used? Are you doing anything out of the ordinary? What websites?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

PeterO

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:43 pm

Anyone else having trouble with the "Application Launch and Task Bar" Panel applet ? Any added launchers don't work.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

spl23

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:55 pm

PeterO wrote:Anyone else having trouble with the "Application Launch and Task Bar" Panel applet ? Any added launchers don't work.

PeterO
Just tried it on my PIXEL install - works fine here; just added Claws Mail using the Application Launch Bar settings dialog, and the icon appears and starts the program.

If you add an application, check the corresponding entry in ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi/panels/panel - they are in the Plugin { type=launchbar section. Each one should be a valid .desktop file.

Ah - on re-reading this - you shouldn't really be using the "Application Launch and Task Bar" applet - there are now separate applets for Application Launch and for Task Bar. This was introduced with Jessie - the combined applet was a Wheezy feature and is now deprecated. (I should probably remove it...) Remove it and install the two separate applets instead.

PeterO

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:33 am

spl23 wrote:Ah - on re-reading this - you shouldn't really be using the "Application Launch and Task Bar" applet - there are now separate applets for Application Launch and for Task Bar. This was introduced with Jessie - the combined applet was a Wheezy feature and is now deprecated. (I should probably remove it...) Remove it and install the two separate applets instead.
OK. That' what I did in the end.
I only tried it because I accidentally removed the original launcher while trying to remove the "dead" items for wolfram and mathematica which seemed to be lingering in the original launcher with a default "paper aeroplane" icon after purging wolfram-engine.

So yes, if it is broken you should remove it ;)

PeterO
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

spl23

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:44 am

PeterO wrote:I only tried it because I accidentally removed the original launcher while trying to remove the "dead" items for wolfram and mathematica which seemed to be lingering in the original launcher with a default "paper aeroplane" icon after purging wolfram-engine.
To remove icons, just right-click on one of the icons in the launch bar, open the "Application Launcher Settings" dialog, select icon, click "Remove".

PeterO

Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:32 am

spl23 wrote:To remove icons, just right-click on one of the icons in the launch bar, open the "Application Launcher Settings" dialog, select icon, click "Remove".
The problem was caused due to the behaviour being different to the desktops on my Mint17 and Mint18 PCs. On those desktops there appears to be no "Launch Bar", and each application launcher has it's own right click pop-up menu with an individual "Remove from panel" option.

But on the PI, when you right click on an application icon in the Panel the pop-up menu contains "Remove "Application Launch Bar" From Panel".
But if you don't know that the icon is contained in the Application Launch Bar, then at first site this looks like the option that might remove the icon you are trying to remove :roll:

PeterO

HypnoToad

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Just put a clean Jessie install on a spare Pi3, and I'm liking it so far. I really like being able to to turn the Bluetooth and Wifi on from the menu bar.

Is there a way of making the ON/OFF setting for BT and Wifi persistent? So than if I turn off Wifi and BT, then reboot, they'll still be turned off after a reboot or power cycle? This already happens on OSX and Windows, so it would be nice is Raspbian could behave in the same way. :idea:

Milliways wrote:I note Raspbian includes RealVNC which is now supported via raspi-config.

I have tightvncserver on my Pi, and start with a systemd service.
I had noted references to RealVNC previously, but never tried (I was deterred by the need for a Personal license), and never found any reason to change.

What are the differences between RealVNC and tightvncserver?

One is obvious, that RealVNC is included in new installations, and supported via raspi-config.
It appears that RealVNC allows remote access to the default console.

Can RealVNC and tightvncserver co-exist. I note I currently have
I'm still using TightVNC on a RPI2 and it works great, for me RealVNC seems to have a few pros and cons.

RealVNC pros:
- Encryption works out the box
- No need to set up additional passwords for VNC, pi/raspberry works out the box
- Already built in so no need to tinker with which SystemD services which is beyond many newbies to Raspbian IMO
- Display seems smoother or latency seems reduced, on LAN at least, I've not tested over the internet yet

RealVNC cons:
- Doesn't seem to work with the in built 'Screen Sharing' under OSX, but I've downloaded the RealVNC client for OSX and got it running in a few minutes.

If all your VNC client can connect ok to RealVNC I would recommend moving over to RealVNC as it is built in, works out the box, seems faster, etc. the Pro's seems to outweigh the cons, it gets a thumbs up from me. :D

EDIT: The only feature I would like to see is a shared copy/paste buffer over VNC, but I couldn'tget this to work on TightVNC, but if anyone knows how to do it on RealVNC that would be good. :?:

spl23

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:31 pm

HypnoToad wrote:Just put a clean Jessie install on a spare Pi3, and I'm liking it so far. I really like being able to to turn the Bluetooth and Wifi on from the menu bar.

Is there a way of making the ON/OFF setting for BT and Wifi persistent? So than if I turn off Wifi and BT, then reboot, they'll still be turned off after a reboot or power cycle? This already happens on OSX and Windows, so it would be nice is Raspbian could behave in the same way. :idea:
The wifi setting persists across a reboot, the Bluetooth doesn't. This is a bug - we've got a fix for it, but I'm not sure if we've pushed it into apt yet.

Try a "sudo apt-get update" followed by a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" on your clean Jessie image - that will pull in a whole bunch of tweaks and bug fixes. We'll be updating the image download later this month.

HypnoToad

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:01 pm

spl23 wrote:The wifi setting persists across a reboot, the Bluetooth doesn't. This is a bug - we've got a fix for it, but I'm not sure if we've pushed it into apt yet.

Try a "sudo apt-get update" followed by a "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" on your clean Jessie image - that will pull in a whole bunch of tweaks and bug fixes. We'll be updating the image download later this month.
I've done done the update, it took a while to do but after a reboot it now seems to be persistent on reboots for both the BT and Wifi settings, thanks!

I guess my machine may not affected by the bug, or the fix is now been pushed. During the upgrade process it said there was a newer version of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf avaliable, I just went for the default option, so kept the original version of /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

The only small issue I after reboot was the VNC server had been disabled, SSH was still working tho easy enough to switch back on using raspi-config :)

spl23

Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:05 pm

HypnoToad wrote:I guess my machine may not affected by the bug, or the fix is now been pushed.
Everyone's Pi would have been affected - it means that we have indeed pushed the fix! I thought we had, but I wasn't sure...

With regards the lightdm question, it doesn't matter whether you accept the new version or keep the old one - in this case, the result is the same. The question is just a quirk forced on us by apt.

Return to “Raspbian”