sanfx

Re: Introducing PIXEL desktop: new Raspbian release

Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:53 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
sanfx wrote:Does this distro supports Docker ?
Since DebIan supports it then it should work on Raspbian.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/docker ... pberry-pi/
http://blog.hypriot.com/getting-started ... rm-device/
well I tried hypriot image that contains docker pre installed, I pulled 2 images

and on trying to run the image i am getting this error:

Code: Select all

docker run -it freenas/plex
panic: standard_init_linux.go:175: exec user process caused "exec format error" [recovered]
	panic: standard_init_linux.go:175: exec user process caused "exec format error"

goroutine 1 [running, locked to thread]:
panic(0x3360b0, 0x56e469c0)
	/usr/local/go/src/runtime/panic.go:481 +0x330
github.com/urfave/cli.HandleAction.func1(0x56e79958)
	/go/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:478 +0x328
panic(0x3360b0, 0x56e469c0)
	/usr/local/go/src/runtime/panic.go:443 +0x448
github.com/opencontainers/runc/libcontainer.(*LinuxFactory).StartInitialization.func1(0x56e795e0, 0x56dc27d8, 0x56e79668)
	/go/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/libcontainer/factory_linux.go:259 +0x13c
github.com/opencontainers/runc/libcontainer.(*LinuxFactory).StartInitialization(0x56df0d80, 0x4641cca8, 0x56e469c0)
	/go/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/libcontainer/factory_linux.go:277 +0x498
main.glob.func8(0x56e2a320, 0x0, 0x0)
	/go/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/main_unix.go:26 +0x58
reflect.Value.call(0x2eb600, 0x3f2948, 0x13, 0x3648b8, 0x4, 0x56e79918, 0x1, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0, ...)
	/usr/local/go/src/reflect/value.go:435 +0xeb4
reflect.Value.Call(0x2eb600, 0x3f2948, 0x13, 0x56e79918, 0x1, 0x1, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
	/usr/local/go/src/reflect/value.go:303 +0x84
github.com/urfave/cli.HandleAction(0x2eb600, 0x3f2948, 0x56e2a320, 0x0, 0x0)
	/go/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:487 +0x230
github.com/urfave/cli.Command.Run(0x366cd8, 0x4, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x3d0d50, 0x51, 0x0, ...)
	/go/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/urfave/cli/command.go:191 +0xcd0
github.com/urfave/cli.(*App).Run(0x56e22240, 0x56db2070, 0x2, 0x2, 0x0, 0x0)
	/go/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/Godeps/_workspace/src/github.com/urfave/cli/app.go:240 +0x84c
main.main()
	/go/src/github.com/opencontainers/runc/main.go:137 +0xbb4
and I am getting the same error for

Code: Select all

docker run -it fbender/php54-apache-mysql

rpdom

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 pm

sanfx wrote:
rpdom wrote:Yes, there is Docker for Raspbian on Raspberry Pi. I have tried it out and it does work.
can you share the image you used i would pick that ? i want to run apache and php .
It was a while back. I think I followed the instructions on one of the links that Dougie reposted http://blog.alexellis.io/getting-starte ... pberry-pi/

I then created my own Dockerfile s (I use docker a lot at work, so am reasonably competent with them). I tend to use Alpine Linux because of its small footprint, and nginx for webservers. The Docker documentation is fairly good.

rpdom

Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:00 pm

The "exec format error" message probably means you pulled in an image that is for a PC, not for a Pi. You need armhf versions of images to run.

MitchHamilton

Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:23 am

This is driving me mental, what am I doing wrong?

I have downloaded the torrent for Rasbian Jessie w/Pixel, used Etcher to burn image to USB and rebooted my old Dell laptop making sure that USB was the highest priority boot device and it just hangs on a black screen with an underscore flashing.

I've tried both the torrent file and zip as well as two different 16gb USB sticks. I've also tried these usb sticks in three different computers and they all just hang on a black screen with the flashing underscore...

I'm usually fairly competent with this stuff but it just isn't going my way. Any help is appreciated.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:20 pm

MitchHamilton wrote:This is driving me mental, what am I doing wrong?

I have downloaded the torrent for Rasbian Jessie w/Pixel, used Etcher to burn image to USB and rebooted my old Dell laptop making sure that USB was the highest priority boot device and it just hangs on a black screen with an underscore flashing.

I've tried both the torrent file and zip as well as two different 16gb USB sticks. I've also tried these usb sticks in three different computers and they all just hang on a black screen with the flashing underscore...

I'm usually fairly competent with this stuff but it just isn't going my way. Any help is appreciated.
The normal Rasbian Jessie w/Pixel isn't for x86 PC, its for ARM based Raspberry PI's.
There IS a version of Debian (not Raspbian) with the Pixel desktop, for x86 PC's (see recent blogs) but it's not this.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:27 pm

MitchHamilton wrote:This is driving me mental, what am I doing wrong?

Welcome, may I ask why you are trying to boot Raspbian Jessie with Pixel which is configured to run on a Raspberry Pi SBC on a Dell Machine ???

Maybe you are actually seeking Pixel OS for x86 CPU machines ? if so see:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

crosland

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:46 pm

HI,

What's changed in the 2017-01-11 release? The release note link is stale and links to the previous version.

Andrew

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:05 pm

crosland wrote:HI,

What's changed in the 2017-01-11 release? The release note link is stale and links to the previous version.

Andrew
The only change is the Boot Partition is now Formatted FAT32 for standalone Raspbian Jessie with Pixel, previously it was FAT16...
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

crosland

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 pm

What's the difference between "FAT32 for standalone Raspbian Jessie with Pixel" and "FAT32"?

I thought FAT32 was FAT32.

Andrew

rpdom

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:39 pm

I believe that was a tyop. Fruit probably meant to say "was FAT16".

B.Goode

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:40 pm

See this previous thread, in particular the first reply: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=171024&hilit=Fat16#p1095955

crosland

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks.

I did try a forum search but 2017-01-11 doesn't produce any hits :(

evansste

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:20 pm

So far, I'm only moderately content with one operating system which I've been able to install on my Raspberry Pi. It's Ubuntu Mate. Of all of the Raspberry Pi operating systems, it's the only one, that I know of, which truly allows plug-n-play WiFi. With Ubuntu Mate, I plug in my WiFi dongle, and am able to get it to work without having to download programs or configure any files.

Downloading programs, like wpa_supplicant, is a real problem when you don't already have internet access. I have a WiFi dongle, and am in an area with a strong WiFi network. But I can't access it because, with PIXEL, or any other OS other than Ubuntu Mate, it seems I have to download some other program (wpa_supplicant) in order to get it to work. With Ubuntu Mate, I don't have to download anything. However, Ubuntu Mate seems a bit unstable to me. I had it for not even two days before it became unusable. Icons don't show up anymore, and basic programs cease to function. My suspicion is that Ubuntu Mate is a hefty operating system for the Raspberry Pi 2. So I tried going back to PIXEL, only to be reminded that I can't get WiFi (internet access) without already having internet access. What a disappointment.

So far, enabling WiFi is the biggest disappointment I have with most of the Raspbian operating systems. It's a huge deal since any Linux operating system is difficult to maintain without some form of intermet access.

k-pi

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:38 am

Likely your problem is lack of firmware, copy the (/lib) /firmware directory from Ubuntu to a pendrive, install Raspbian, & if your wifi doesn't work, copy the contents of your saved /firmware directory into the Raspbian /firmware directory, then reboot.
(It should work on any Linux distro.)

KevinA

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:09 pm

Nice interface, great startup options. Just got my new Raspberry PI Zero W, downloaded the Pixel release of Raspbian and was real happy with the setup except:

1. In Raspberry PI Configuration changing the password fails with no error when the new password is less than 8? (Need length error)
2. If you are lucky enough to get a Zero W in the U.S. you must set the keyboard up to get the @ sign to work, can't geo-locate use the IP for localization on startup and prompt to change it?

The other issue I'm having is power supplies, china thinks a 2,000ma or 1,000ma label is suppose to produce 500ma actual current I guess. With the W the video output drops out but it still appears to boot. This is with an external mouse USB dongle and bluetooth keyboard.

Now with you can get Amazon to distribute with unlimited numbers life would be great!

mattmiller

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:35 am

With Ubuntu Mate, I plug in my WiFi dongle, and am able to get it to work without having to download programs or configure any files.
All I can say is that you must be very unlucky to be using a WiFi dongle that is not supported by Raspbian - most of them just work.
Downloading programs, like wpa_supplicant
Playing around with any wpa_suppplicant files is only necessary when doing advanced stuff - there's no need to go anywhere near it for normally connecting to a wireless network

The network icon at the top right of the screen usually allows people to simply connect to their wireless network like on any other desktop OS
So far, enabling WiFi is the biggest disappointment I have with most of the Raspbian operating systems. It's a huge deal since any Linux operating system is difficult to maintain without some form of internet access.
Can I suggest just buying another WiFi dongle - 99/100 any cheap one from Ebay will do the job - I've never bought one that just didn't work (I've got about 20)
Last edited by mattmiller on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martin Frezman

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:52 am

BTW wpa_supplicant isn't a program
Of course it is. What else could it be?
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

mattmiller

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:59 am

Of course it is. What else could it be?
I hadn't considered the OP would be re-downloading wpa_supplicant itself :)
I've amended my post accordingly :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:53 am

evansste wrote:So far, enabling WiFi is the biggest disappointment I have with most of the Raspbian operating systems. It's a huge deal since any Linux operating system is difficult to maintain without some form of intermet access.
There's only one Raspbian OS, and the wireless in that seems to work fine, using the inbuilt wireless of the Pi3, or with any/all the USB dongles I've tried on older devices.

So what actual problem are you seeing?

(New docs here.....https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

KineticTech

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 am

At the risk of offending someone... is there an easy way to uninstall PIXEL?

I have a Raspberry Pi with a modified touchscreen that I use to control many systems on my power wheelchair and tonight I had to update some X11-lib stuff and somehow PIXEL decided to install itself. Like other glitches I see reported on this forum, I was lucky to get them all.

My licensed RealVNC config deleted, X-Windows will not start, my WiFi adapter no longer working, touch screen gone. Yeah, most of the breakage is just not my getting to a gnome desktop but gosh darn it... I was really attached my functioning Raspberry Pi.

Should have backed it up. I know. The stupid thing has most of the guts inside the wheelchair so 20 minutes just to get at the card but still... should have backed it up. Really don't want to have to start from scratch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- KineticTech

sconemad

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 am

KineticTech wrote: My licensed RealVNC config deleted,
I may be able to help you with the RealVNC issue. The new "VNC Connect" version which was made available on 16th Feb this year removed the need for the bundled license key which was included in previous versions. There was a problem, however, if you had a virtual desktop running when you did the update, it would not allow new connections, complaining of a missing license. The solution is to restart the virtual mode server, or simply restart the Pi. Is that the issue you're seeing, or something else?

The Monkey

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:19 pm

This is going to be awesome.

jamesh

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:46 pm

The Monkey wrote:This is going to be awesome.
Already is!

nickmarkfurness

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:02 pm

I am using the new Jessie build from the 2nd March 2017 and i am experiencing an issue with the built in wifi on the R.Pi 3.
When i use the UI to select the wifi SSID and enter the password it connects and works fine but about 30 seconds later without fail is disassociates the wifi and i have to re-enter the wifi password to connect.
I have this issue on a previous version manually upgraded and a fresh install of the image downloaded from this site.
I didn't have this issue before i upgraded.
I have tried to turn power saving manger off and this has had no impact.

I can't be the only one experiencing this issue can i? The issue would be with the wireless router could it? I will try next a different wireless network but can anyone give me any advise please?

Thanks.

jamesh

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:09 pm

I'm not seeing that with the same release, connected to a Pi based Wifi network. So it is probably something to do with the router. Have you changed any settings on it recently.

Meanwhile, try 'dmesg' on the Pi showing the issue - anything odd at the end of it related to wifi?

Return to “Raspbian”