Mansome

Re: Introducing PIXEL desktop: new Raspbian release

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:46 pm

How is the performance on this? I have been constantly tweaking the Pi to get more speed out of it without having to overclock. My main concern with this is how Kodi runs and possibly retropie. In the past I have used jessie lite and manually install LXDE but I hear its phased out. I am hoping Pixel is the alternative. So I guess my question is how do I go from a jessie lite to pixel without all the extra bloat but just the eye candy part. I dont need all those extra apps that serve no purpose.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:46 pm

Mansome wrote:How is the performance on this? I have been constantly tweaking the Pi to get more speed out of it without having to overclock. My main concern with this is how Kodi runs and possibly retropie. In the past I have used jessie lite and manually install LXDE but I hear its phased out. I am hoping Pixel is the alternative. So I guess my question is how do I go from a jessie lite to pixel without all the extra bloat but just the eye candy part. I dont need all those extra apps that serve no purpose.
The imminent death of LXDE seems to be a frequent topic of discussion in these parts... LXDE has not been "phased out" - it is still included as an updated package in the testing branch (Stretch) of Debian, and the unstable branch (Sid). While it is not under active development, that doesn't mean it is dead - it just means people have stopped changing it. I've spent two years making it work more consistently, fixing bugs and improving its visual appearance - we will be sticking with it for the foreseeable future, because it works. The latest new shiny thing is all very well, but it invariably brings with it a new set of bugs to fix - there is a lot to be said for mature, stable code.

You can install LXDE from the Raspbian repos, and it will continue to be provided in there for at least the next few years.

PIXEL is a customised version of LXDE - you can't really install one without the other. There are some unneeded applications (calculator, image viewer etc) but really, the easy thing to do is to install the whole thing. As for bloat - the main aim of LXDE was to be as free from it as possible. It's not 100% successful, but it's pretty good.

duncan tse

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:11 am

Dear Sir,

Once I installed pixel desktop,
1. I could not see my windows XP shared folder as before
2. there is no icon under menu "Go"

Please advise [email protected]

mikerr wrote:Good to finally to move to a more standard browser with chromium. Long overdue.
Epiphany was increasingly old and buggy - replacing it was always my first job on install...

All nice pretty changes, good for a desktop - but not sure on removing "cryptic boot messages"
- they are a standard part of linux and raspberry pi is supposed to be educating users, not hiding details - that is the way of apple :twisted: .

Mostly a great update !

msperl

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:25 am

After upgrading to Pixel on my rpi3 (with all the steps as per the announcement - dist_upgrade and install chromium-mods) starting chromium results in the window staying blank and it does not redraw and chromium consumes 40% CPU.

If I start chromium from the command line I get the following messages repeatedly:
```
[4040:4040:0930/101412:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(4422)] GLES2DecoderImpl: Context lost because context no longer current after resize callback.
[4040:4040:0930/101412:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(4548)] Error: 5 for Command kResizeCHROMIUM
[4040:4040:0930/101412:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(4548)] Error: 4 for Command kGenTexturesImmediate
```

Any Ideas?

roloph

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:55 am

hi

Pixel is nice, esp. with the add of Chromium.
I've got an issue since the Pixel upgrade that my menu/taskbar disappeared and is missing now even after rebooting.

Any idea?
Thanks
Roloph.

jamesh

Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:48 pm

msperl wrote:After upgrading to Pixel on my rpi3 (with all the steps as per the announcement - dist_upgrade and install chromium-mods) starting chromium results in the window staying blank and it does not redraw and chromium consumes 40% CPU.

If I start chromium from the command line I get the following messages repeatedly:
```
[4040:4040:0930/101412:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(4422)] GLES2DecoderImpl: Context lost because context no longer current after resize callback.
[4040:4040:0930/101412:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(4548)] Error: 5 for Command kResizeCHROMIUM
[4040:4040:0930/101412:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder.cc(4548)] Error: 4 for Command kGenTexturesImmediate
```

Any Ideas?
If you are using the experimental graphic driver, turn it off , they are incompatible at the moment.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Kratos

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:42 pm

I really like Chromium now! Before on the Pi web browsing was possible, but just a bit slow. Now the thing flies! HW accelerated video is a real treat too. Thanks for all the work poured into this! :D

Kratos
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

Mansome

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:44 pm

So I finally gave this a try on one of my slower SD cards. Its pretty fast performance. I could switch to this. It does break my install scripts that I used for an alternate account for kodi. Let me ask this. Is there a way just to install the gui and nothing else? Like is there an apt-get just for the gui?

neemo

Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:57 pm

Hello, I am a new Raspberry Pi user. After reading about the latest OS with Pixel, I'm very excited to install it on my RPi and get it going, however, I am having a lot of trouble just downloading the zip file. Has anyone else ran into this? When I go to unzip the file, I get an error that there are no contents in the file to unzip. This has happened twice on two different computers. The download is really slow, to mitigate this I hooked up ethernet to my laptop but no change. Tried downloading Jessie Lite, but even that is snail-pace slow. Having searched the forum and other places on the internet, it appears everyone else is able to download and unzip the Raspbian OS file just fine. I am at a loss! Any ideas?

Mansome

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:05 am

It was super slow for me too, had to use the torrent option. You could have possibly used noobs to install it and it would download it directly to the SD card.

mikerr

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:01 am

There is a problem with zip files wither more than 4GB of files like the Pixel download.

Often windows standard zip extractor won't work properly, neither will Mac unzip

- use 7-zip on windows, The UnArchiver on Mac
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

msperl

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:33 am

jamesh wrote: If you are using the experimental graphic driver, turn it off , they are incompatible at the moment.
I have justed used the default raspbian image and nothing more and then updated it as per documentation!

Only changes to boot had to do with HDMI:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ grep -v "#" /boot/config.txt | sort | uniq

dtparam=audio=on
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=16
normal X is running:

[email protected]:~ $ ps uaxwwww | grep /usr/bin/X | grep -v grep
root       614  0.5  8.4 188588 80036 tty7     Ss+  10:01   0:28 /usr/bin/X :0 -seat seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch

MarkDH102

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:10 am

Ok, I've just done the update and dist-upgrade on a Pi3 (remotely using vnc)
The icons changed appearance, but the windows didn't get rounded edges.
I then did a sudo reboot and now I just have a intermittently (random) flashing red LED.
I get one single flash of the green LED very shortly after power up.
I did have the openGL driver installed.
Have I trashed everything?
Pity as I had a build of Stellarium running nicely on there.
My fault for not doing a backup.

lumsdot

Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Its nice, well done, chromium rules, youtube works well.
what would be a good additon would be a simple overclock app,
so you could overclock pi 3 and class 10sd cards.

MarkDH102

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:04 pm

Ok, my non-booting may have been caused by what I've posted here...

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=161546&p=1045585#p1045585

spl23

Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:32 pm

lumsdot wrote:Its nice, well done, chromium rules, youtube works well.
what would be a good additon would be a simple overclock app,
so you could overclock pi 3 and class 10sd cards.
All the overclock modes we support are accessible via the command-line raspi-config tool or on the Performance tab of the GUI Raspberry Pi Configuration application.

neemo

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:02 pm

Thanks @mikerr. I used 7-zip and was able to extract my files (after re-downloading raspbian for the 3rd time!).
@mansome thanks for the feedback. I tried with NOOBS as well had same issue. Not sure why download was so buggy, but after trying again and using 7-zip it worked. Strange!

johndavies

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:07 pm

Before I downloaded the Pixel Desktop to my Raspberry Pi 3, I was able to pick up the #EXTINF:-1 Titles for video and radio station playlists. Now only the URLs are shown on the screen and these are shortened. Is there anyway that I can get this useful feature back?

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:10 pm

neemo wrote:Thanks @mikerr. I used 7-zip and was able to extract my files (after re-downloading raspbian for the 3rd time!).
@mansome thanks for the feedback. I tried with NOOBS as well had same issue. Not sure why download was so buggy, but after trying again and using 7-zip it worked. Strange!
Zip files have a file size limit of 4,294,967,295 bytes, which is a little under the size of the image. Zip64 is an extension to the original zip format which overcomes some of its limitations. Although zip64 has been around for 15 years and widely supported for about 8 years, windows and macos don't support it in their built-in tools.

alexryan

Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:35 am

on a mac this works ...

brew install p7zip
7z x 2016-09-23-raspbian-jessie.zip

msperl

Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:08 am

msperl wrote:
jamesh wrote: If you are using the experimental graphic driver, turn it off , they are incompatible at the moment.
I have justed used the default raspbian image and nothing more and then updated it as per documentation!
Note: it turns out that chromium is incompatible with libgl1-mesa-swx11, which - for some reason was installed on my system.

You may want to add the following to your "howto upgrade":

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-glx
then chromium starts up ok!

See also: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=776388

Martinvb

Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Same here, menu is gone after the update but system and apps seem to work (can e.g. open text documents on the desktop with LibreOffice). Is there a command to reload the menu, or perhaps resets default settings? Thx, Martin
roloph wrote:I've got an issue since the Pixel upgrade that my menu/taskbar disappeared and is missing now even after rebooting.

spl23

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:37 am

The bug causing the main menu to crash for some users has now been fixed - it was an error in the icon code in the menu plugin which I introduced while trying to fix another problem.

A fixed version is now available in apt - to get it, open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and then reboot.

If you still have problems with the menu crashing after that, please post to this thread to let me know.

Apologies to everyone affected for the inconvenience.

castletonroad

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:45 am

MarkDH102 wrote:Ok, I've just done the update and dist-upgrade on a Pi3 (remotely using vnc)
The icons changed appearance, but the windows didn't get rounded edges.
I then did a sudo reboot and now I just have a intermittently (random) flashing red LED.
I get one single flash of the green LED very shortly after power up.
I did have the openGL driver installed.
Have I trashed everything?
Pity as I had a build of Stellarium running nicely on there.
My fault for not doing a backup.
Isn't an intermittently flashing red light a symptom of insufficient power? Is your Pi running off a 2A PSU?
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B | Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Martinvb

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks, I wil try this. Yesterday I tried to use the same commands to update/upgrade, but no apparent changes were made and the bug remained. I therefore hope that this fix is a recent one. ;) Best, Martin

Return to “Raspbian”