riahc3
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:09 am

Powershell for Raspbian?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:24 am

With Powershell now open source, will we see Powershell for Raspbian?

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 9442
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:47 am

why?
what is wrong with bash
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

mihol
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:03 am

a lot of Windows developers & admin people have Powershell skills acquired over the last 10 years but they lack similar skills for using bash. Is that a good enough answer?

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 3589
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:07 am

mihol wrote:a lot of Windows developers & admin people have Powershell skills acquired over the last 10 years but they lack similar skills for using bash. Is that a good enough answer?
That's just being lazy !
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Djarid
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:40 am

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:44 am

There's nothing wrong with bash at all, in fact it was a significant influence in the development of Monad (the pre-release name of Powershell).

However, powershell is a significant evolution on just about every other shell. Pipelining entire objects instead of just the stdout alone is sufficient to want to have this in raspbian

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 29343
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:29 am

Why would anyone want to use powershell when Ubuntu's bash is natively installable on Windows 10? Microsoft have developed an installer package for that. https://msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/ ... tall_guide I've been using that for a couple of months now.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 9442
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:05 am

DougieLawson wrote:Why would anyone want to use powershell when Ubuntu's bash is natively installable on Windows 10? Microsoft have developed an installer package for that. https://msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/ ... tall_guide I've been using that for a couple of months now.
as have I - it is very very useful more me
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ssfdre38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:21 am

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:30 am

i tested powershell onto my test raspberry pi and it doesnt look like it will support it all. Even if you try to build it from source it will stop you right away cause its not an x64 processor or os
Rasbian Latest Builds on SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspbian/
Github at https://github.com/ssfdre38

3 2B & 1 3B

mihol
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:42 pm

ssfdre38 wrote:i tested powershell onto my test raspberry pi and it doesnt look like it will support it all. Even if you try to build it from source it will stop you right away cause its not an x64 processor
As there are new (alpha) versions every 2 weeks or so, do you remember what version (i.e. v6.0.0-alpha.8) you tried?

Knowing the exact error would allow to open an issue in their GITHUB repository
PS: For interested parties, new releases are downloadable from https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/releases

ssfdre38
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:21 am

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:13 pm

they just dont support ARMf so they wont support raspbian to use Power Shell and yes i have tested beta's and their alphas
Rasbian Latest Builds on SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspbian/
Github at https://github.com/ssfdre38

3 2B & 1 3B

mihol
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:53 pm

@ssfdre38, a currently proposed merge for .NET core "[Arm/CI] Add hardfp build to arm32_ci_script.sh #12577" https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/pull/12577 and an existing PowerShell issue would seem related.
https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/1635 mentions ARM already
'OS: Windows or Unix
Architecture: ARM, amd64, x86'

The pending merge would address the first of several dependency for porting PowerShell to ARM platform.
Hence from my view this looks like its just a matter of time until PowerShell on RaspberryPi will become available.
Would you share this view?

ewaller
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:.... when Ubuntu's bash is natively installable ...
Whose Bash? Come on, credit where credit is due.

mihol
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:55 pm

I've raised an enhancement issue on Powershell GitHub.https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/2463
Interested parties should login to GitHub and use 'add your reaction' to vote for this change :D

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 29343
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:41 pm

ewaller wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:.... when Ubuntu's bash is natively installable ...
Whose Bash? Come on, credit where credit is due.
Don't be pedantic. The deal is between Microsoft & Canonical.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

bensimmo
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:46 pm

mihol wrote:@ssfdre38, a currently proposed merge for .NET core "[Arm/CI] Add hardfp build to arm32_ci_script.sh #12577" https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/pull/12577 and an existing PowerShell issue would seem related.
https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/1635 mentions ARM already
'OS: Windows or Unix
Architecture: ARM, amd64, x86'

The pending merge would address the first of several dependency for porting PowerShell to ARM platform.
Hence from my view this looks like its just a matter of time until PowerShell on RaspberryPi will become available.
Would you share this view?
But is that ARM WinIoT or ARM Raspbian ?
I can see them trying to get it on WinIoT, still more choice for any platform is always a good thing. Use what you prefer.

mihol
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:46 am

I assumed Raspbian because of instructions 'Install for Debian 8' on https://www.microsoft.com/net/core#debian

Don't have access to my Pi currenly in oder to try it and confirm :( due to vacation ;)

bensimmo
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:24 am

On there they only have Deb files for Ubuntu X64, debian just has the binaries, again in X64.

With WinIoT, I also believe at the moment you run it remotely and not physically while on the Pi.
You would think they would get it working on WinIoT first, but who knows.

apetitjean
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:00 am

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 am

Hello everyone!

As you may know, Microsoft just released .Net Core 2.0 that now supports (still in preview) ARM32 processors.
I haven't had the time yet to try but my guess is it is now theoretically possible to run PowerShell version 6 (still in beta too) on Raspberry.

Here are some interesting pointers :
- Installing PowerShell on Raspberry (translated discussion thread from French)
- Installer PowerShell sur Raspberry Pi (Original topic)

Arnaud

eshess
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:13 pm

apetitjean wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 am
Hello everyone!

As you may know, Microsoft just released .Net Core 2.0 that now supports (still in preview) ARM32 processors.
I haven't had the time yet to try but my guess is it is now theoretically possible to run PowerShell version 6 (still in beta too) on Raspberry.

Here are some interesting pointers :
- Installing PowerShell on Raspberry (translated discussion thread from French)
- Installer PowerShell sur Raspberry Pi (Original topic)

Arnaud
I tried this weekend and failed. RasPi 3 and both Ubuntu 16.04 and Raspbian. I compiled the native binaries on the pi after cloning in the PS repo, then had to copy that out to a dev box, since the .NET SDK is also unsupported on ARM at this time, compile there and ship back to the pi. PS starts up but then crashes with a segmentation fault. Something to do with those native binaries.

eshess
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:35 pm

Note that an issue is open for this on the repo:
https://github.com/powershell/powershell/issues/2463

Other people encountered the same and opened an issue on the dotnet repo to fix the local binaries:
https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr/issues/13667

CecilWard
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:17 pm

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:58 pm

I would love to see Powershell for ARM. The object pipeline thing is so sensible. I just don't know how o/s dependent the code is though, for all I know some of the spec wouldn't make sense away from Windows, never mind the code? If it doesn't run on ARM processors then that's just sloppy design or rubbish coding. If they can't run it one Win RT for ARM then they should go and stand in the corner until home time.

Heater
Posts: 7591
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Powershell for Raspbian?

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:49 am

Djarid,
Pipelining entire objects instead of just the stdout alone is sufficient to want to have this in raspbian.
CecilWard,
The object pipeline thing is so sensible.
Could either of you tell me how pipelining objects in shell commands is in anyway useful on an OS where none of the programs that run on it support piping objects in or out?

In fact can you give me an example of when piping objects is useful ?

To my mind the ultimate simplicity of Unix pipes just shoveling byte streams around is one of the main strengths of a Unix system. One can connect anything to anything even if those programs were developed independently and have no knowledge of each other.

If I want to pipe objects around I can overlay that on top of Unix pipes by using JSON format or Protocol Buffers or whatever I like.

Return to “Raspbian”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests