andrewjs18

raspberry pi will not reboot

Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:27 am

hi there,

I have a raspberry pi b+ model that simply will not reboot when issuing any of the reboot commands:
sudo reboot, sudo shutdown -r now, etc...those commands seem to shut down the system, never rebooting it. when I say shutdown, all of the lights on the board are off except a red light, which I assume is to signify that the board has power. The only way to get the device to power back up after a "reboot" is to unplug the power cable and plug it back in.

I'm not too sure what's going on here. this pi was recently upgraded from debian 7 to debian 8, but the problem existed on both versions of the OS.

I don't know what information would be useful to provide. I did take a quick video of the pi after issuing the reboot command: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObZ-CcMY3tQ

I don't know that the video will reveal anything useful - it looks ok to me. if there's any commands I should run to provide data, please let me know.

thanks in advance!

Bellisarius

Re: raspberry pi will not reboot

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:20 am

I don't think it's a software issue as it does reach the shutdown point. PSU and reset cct's in the RPI are poor, the problem may be electrical. What is that little message that flashes in the middle of the monitor just before it goes down?

andrewjs18

Re: raspberry pi will not reboot

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:17 pm

is there a model raspberry pi with better circuitry? I do have a 2nd raspberry pi b+ model that I haven't used in ages. I should update it and see if it has problems rebooting properly.

the message that flashes is just the standard monitor auto-detect message.

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”