DavidS

Stripping Raspbian.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:34 am

I have decided to give Raspbian a bit more time to prove itself. Though I need to strip it down to something useful, without breaking anything.

So does anyone have a complete list of what packages can safely be removed in removing Java, Wolfram, Mathmatica, OpenOffice, Python (except as needed for core components), Scratch, Sonic Pi, and all of the GUI based IDE's (except LeafPad if you count that)?

I must admit that the default Desktop Environment is nice. And the GMU toolchain is usable.

Also is there a good open source ARM assembler for Linux? Something that comes close to the syntax of the traditional ARM assemblers as used on RISC OS?
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

fruit-uk

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:44 am

Why don't you start with the Lite version and add in the bits you need?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Stripping Raspbian.

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:45 am

Retired disgracefully.....

Gavinmc42

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:35 am

Raspbian has proved itself over and over, it is still the one to use if you need the kitchen sink.
Jessie Lite is not that light at 1GB+, we need a Jessie Microlite?
Arch Linux, piCore, both start small and you add stuff.
Have not had much luck with Dietpi or Minbian, but that could just be me.

Ultimate strip down is Ultibo :lol:
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

jahboater

Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:17 pm

DavidS wrote:Also is there a good open source ARM assembler for Linux? Something that comes close to the syntax of the traditional ARM assemblers as used on RISC OS?
There is only "as" that I know of - it works well.

And to repeat what others have already said, start with Raspbian Lite!

scruss

Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:03 pm

DavidS wrote:… what packages can safely be removed in removing Java, Wolfram, Mathmatica, OpenOffice, Python (except as needed for core components), Scratch, Sonic Pi, and all of the GUI based IDE's (except LeafPad if you count that)?
nodered: it's huge, and it's the sort of thing you'd never use.

I'd leave Python. Various system things depend on having it there, and no-one's quite sure if 2.x or 3.x is the one to keep. Also, most extra packages don't slow your computer down in any way, and storage is so cheap that it's hardly worth the bother.

As for an assembler, asasm still builds. Tim Rowledge's instructions from 2013 still hold, but I found I had to install the following packages first:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install bison flex libarchive-dev build-essential subversion autoconf libtool
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

DavidS

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:49 pm

scruss wrote:
DavidS wrote:… what packages can safely be removed in removing Java, Wolfram, Mathmatica, OpenOffice, Python (except as needed for core components), Scratch, Sonic Pi, and all of the GUI based IDE's (except LeafPad if you count that)?
nodered: it's huge, and it's the sort of thing you'd never use.

I'd leave Python. Various system things depend on having it there, and no-one's quite sure if 2.x or 3.x is the one to keep. Also, most extra packages don't slow your computer down in any way, and storage is so cheap that it's hardly worth the bother.

As for an assembler, asasm still builds. Tim Rowledge's instructions from 2013 still hold, but I found I had to install the following packages first:

sudo apt install bison flex libarchive-dev build-essential subversion autoconf libtool
Storage may be cheap. Though I am leaving it on an SD Card, and primarily using it for 3D modeling, and Slicing until I can get a good 3d modeler and slicer working on RISC OS for 3D printing. SD Cards are not cheap for storage. 8GB does not go very far when you are dealing with a modern Linux system, unlike with RISC OS where I could never use 8GB (unless for videos).

Kind of ironic in that I already wrote a G-CODE interpreter and output system in BASIC V in order to use a Raspberry Pi as a controler for a 3D Printer, though ended up going with a RepRap board instead. Even if I were using another RISC OS based RPi as a controler I would still need a modeler and slicer on at least one RPi to keep up with my 3D printing needs (make the models, scale as needed, and slice to G-CODE).

===================================
Thank you for the note on assemblers. I will look at that.

It is so dificult to locate good ARM assemblers for Linux that actualy use the normal syntax that is so familiar to all who use RISC OS (the original popular ARM OS).
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

scruss

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:16 pm

DavidS wrote:8GB does not go very far when you are dealing with a modern Linux system
Price of decent microSD cards (A-Data Class 10), in Canadian Dollars, including tax, from Canada Computers:
  • 8 GB — $7.12; 89¢/GB
  • 16 GB — $9.03; 56¢/GB
  • 32 GB — $13.55; 42¢/GB
So 8GB cards are the most expensive. If you have to spend time paring down a distribution to make it fit, you're effectively saying that your time is worth less than nothing.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

DavidS

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:08 am

scruss wrote:
DavidS wrote:8GB does not go very far when you are dealing with a modern Linux system
Price of decent microSD cards (A-Data Class 10), in Canadian Dollars, including tax, from Canada Computers:
  • 8 GB — $7.12; 89¢/GB
  • 16 GB — $9.03; 56¢/GB
  • 32 GB — $13.55; 42¢/GB
So 8GB cards are the most expensive. If you have to spend time paring down a distribution to make it fit, you're effectively saying that your time is worth less than nothing.
Thank you for making my point.

8GB = free to me. 16GB > $10.00USD, etc.

mikerr

Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:33 am

Minibian fits on 512MB and still has apt,
so anything required is only an apt-get command away.

Going smaller you lose that convenience and standardisation.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

jahboater

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:09 am

For the popular samsung evo cards on amazon.

8GB £9.99
16GB £5.57
32GB £8.99

That's with a (rather good) sd card reader included. The 8GB card is not available without it. (the samsung card reader has a nice push-push socket like the Pi used to have).

DavidS

Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:35 pm

Well I have decided for Raspbian to just deal with the 8GB until I have a little money to purchase a 64GB SD card. There are a number of things I have stripped out, though it still takes near 2GB on the card.

Thankfully OpenSCAD scripts, STL files, and G-CODE files do not take much space.

Besides I still have RISC OS for the day to day stuff as well as coding :) .

DavidS

Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:37 pm

Oh and:
I am kind of beginning to like youtube, which plays well on the RPi2 in Raspbian using the included WebKit browser.

peterlite

Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 pm

I tried building a light LXDE system by adding LXDE to Raspbian Lite and it failed. Lots of little errors. Far easier to strip down Raspbian Strong Ale.

My delete list from : https://petermoulding.com/raspberry-pi/ ... -configure
bluej
claws-mail
greenfoot
minecraft-pi
nodered
scratch
sonic-pi
wolfram-engine

asandford

Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:42 pm

peterlite wrote:I tried building a light LXDE system by adding LXDE to Raspbian Lite and it failed. Lots of little errors. Far easier to strip down Raspbian Strong Ale.
to add desktop to jessie lite takes one command:

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
(as I suggested to you here)

peterlite

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:54 pm

@asandford, thank you for reminding me about that package. I used an early release of Jessie, the one where the Bluetooth indicator did not work, and followed a page where you added LXDE plus a small number of other packages.

There were some other items outside of LXDE that I had to add to make the system usable through the GUI. The number of things I had to add to LXDE was similar to the number of things I delete when stripping down the full version of Raspbian. I find it faster and easier to start with the full Raspbian.

The download cost works out to be similar because the initial full Raspbian download is compressed while the individual package downloads are not. The main thing to remember with full Raspbian is to delete the stuff you do not want before running the first update.

If someone wanted to maintain a third version, a Raspbian LXDE lite version would be my choice. From LibreOffice, I would include only the Writer for creating documentation. I would preinstall x11vnc so people could perform the initial install without a screen.

mikerr

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:13 am

peterlite wrote:If someone wanted to maintain a third version, a Raspbian LXDE lite version would be my choice.
I have a Raspbian LIte GUI image here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/raspian-lite-gui/

Fresh raspberrypi.org Lite image, gui added via 'apt-get install raspberry-ui-mods" above - still fits on 2GB card.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Raspbian”