simplesi

Finding out about Raspian updates

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:54 am

I noticed that the main Raspbian download is now dated 16thAug and I realised that I wasn't tuned in to stable change releases - is there somewhere these are announced?

And is there a changelog avaiable?

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

AlArenal

Re: Finding out about Raspian updates

Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:06 pm

Nothing really changed. If you use your older installation and make an sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade you have the same effect. The image is just for cenvenience so you don't have to download and install too many newer packages after installation.

It's like Microsoft switching it's sold Windows versions to include the latest service pack.

simplesi

Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:26 pm

The reason for my query is that I've developed a couple of add on scripts so I'd like to be sure that if a newbie comes along and downloads the latest official image, they'll all work :)

Plus it would be nice to know what is being changed as I'm one of those that doesn't run updates on OSes unless I've a problem and the updates fix it :)
(I'm still running Win98 as file servers in schools as they work fine to simply share files between pupils :) )

Simon

AlArenal

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:51 pm

That's not such a great tactic imho, because Debian does "only" bug and security fixes within a branch (Wheezy in this case). Both are always a good thing to have.

When your car manufacturer calls and tells you you can bring in your car to fix something they did wrong and may cause you a crash, would you just refuse because you haven't had a crash yet? ;-)

simplesi

Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:05 pm

em - its a RPi sitting on my desk running nothing of importance - not a car carrying my wife and children on dangerous roads :)

Its one of those = I do things this way - you do things that way - they've both got pros and cons and sometimes I'll lose out by my approach (prob more than you) and sometimes you'll lose out with your approach but mine wins hands down on effort required to carry it out :)

Simon

Blars

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:09 pm

AlArenal wrote:That's not such a great tactic imho, because Debian does "only" bug and security fixes within a branch (Wheezy in this case). Both are always a good thing to have.
preceed "branch" with "stable or oldstable". Wheezy is a testing release currently, and is still being updated somewhat. (at a slow rate since it is in freeze pending becoming stable) sid (unstable) and experimental are always subject to updates.

simplesi

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:11 am

since it is in freeze pending becoming stable
And getting back to my OP :) Where's the place to find that out?

Simon

Hans Olo

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:05 am

I'd like to know this as well. Where is the change log?

mpthompson

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:14 pm

I think there are two issues here, and I'm not sure which specific one being asked for by the OP.

First, with Raspbian images produced by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, you'll need to ask them to provide a list of changes that may have gone into producing the image. However, I don't think that this information will ever cover what changes occurred on individual packages that were upgraded from one release of their image to another. Instead, it would probably consist of any changes they made to the configuration scripts of the tools they use to produce an image. Alex, asb in these forums, is probably the person to ask if such change information is available.

With regards to changes that occur in individual packages, as far as I know, Debian doesn't keep track of this information in a centralized manner. Instead, each package has a change log associated with it listing the changes that occurred in that specific package from one version to the next. Since Raspbian is based on Debian, we provide the same information for each package. To view the changes associated with a specific package, the 'apt-listchanges' tool can be used as described here:

http://www.debianadmin.com/show-what-ha ... anges.html

If someone knows of a better way of getting changelog information from Debian, please let us know.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Indeed there is no global changelog (and if there was it's size would be insane).

Unfortunately due to the way debian and raspbian work the history of packages is nonlinear and a new version in the repo is not nessacerally derived from the previous version in the repo so to really discover the changes between two packages you have to look at both the changelog from the old package and that from the new package. Then you can find their most recent common ancestor and from there determine what changes have been removed and added. I'm not sure apt-listchanges is smart enough to do this.

Also I tried apt-listchanges a while back but quickly deemed it impractical to look at all changes due to their sheer volume.

simplesi

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm

I see the issue now :)

I can see that we'll just have to take what we are given (and grateful we are too!) :)

I'm primarily interested in updates to Scratch to I'll have to see if I can track changes just in that (and probably going to have to track squeak as well!)
Ta for info

Simon
@plugwash - Is that you Peter - its Simon from McrRaspJam here :)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:44 am

simplesi wrote: @plugwash - Is that you Peter - its Simon from McrRaspJam here :)
Yes it's me

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:39 am

simplesi wrote: I'm primarily interested in updates to Scratch to I'll have to see if I can track changes just in that (and probably going to have to track squeak as well!)
Ta for info
As others have said, the image was just silently updated because the only change is that it has the latest packages at the time it was generated (including firmware), so means users don't need to be encouraged to apt-get update && apt-get upgrade immediately after downloading.

I modified the scratch launcher script to deal with issues saving if the Documents dir doesn't exist, and to default to the vm-sound-alsa plugin.

simplesi

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 am

Ta for info

Who removed the /home/pi/Scratch folder and changed things to /home/pi/Documents/Scratch Projects btw us or them? :)
Simon

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:26 am

simplesi wrote:Ta for info

Who removed the /home/pi/Scratch folder and changed things to /home/pi/Documents/Scratch Projects btw us or them? :)
Simon
Seems to be a change in Squeak/Scratch. In fact I note the launcher script (not written by me) sets SQUEAK_USERDIR="$HOME/Scratch", but it seems Scratch no longer defaults to saving projects within that directory.

simplesi

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:34 pm

ta for info
JFI - it turns out that its the Documents/Scratch Projects doesn't exist until Scratch is run for the first time

Simon

Return to “Raspbian”