Jason_25

How much money and/or time to get Chromium added to repos?

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:45 am

I was disappointed to see that I still cannot apt-get chromium-browser. I would sooner go without any form of internet multimedia then have to compile chromium from source again or install from a 3rd-party repo. No one else wants to type stuff into their sources.list either. If chromium is open source and the most popular browser, why the heck do we not have it? How much money is it going to cost, seriously? I searched for a Debian bounty system and only see one for bugs.

The only reason I can see after searching for Debian not having Chromium already is because they could not keep up with security patches. That is not a valid excuse to drop software. No one at Debian is personally accountable for security problems anyway. I am sure we all would be glad to have a working, if insecure browser in the repos. Also, I understand that the compilation process for Chromium is huge and a pain, but if I can get it compiled then, again, there is no excuse for an experienced developer not to be able to.

How to get the ball rolling on this so we are not stuck in crap browser land forever?

fruitoftheloom

Re: How much money and/or time to get Chromium added to repo

Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:56 am

The reason Chromium is not in Raspbian Jessie Repository is because it will not compile for ARMv6, therefore the RPF would need to offer multiple Jessie .IMG files.

This has been discussed several times, though an alternative Browser is Firefox ESR.

FYI ARMv6 CPU is in the BCM2835 SoC of RPi0 / RPi1 / CM1

Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

fruit-uk

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:05 am

Jason_25 wrote:IThe only reason I can see after searching for Debian not having Chromium already is because they could not keep up with security patches. That is not a valid excuse to drop software.
You really think that?

gkreidl

Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:13 am

Jason_25 wrote:... or install from a 3rd-party repo. No one else wants to type stuff into their sources.list either. ...
Why not? Lot's of people have done so and get a working version of chromium-browser and recent updates.
kusti8 is doing a great job here.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Jason_25

Re:

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:30 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:The reason Chromium is not in Raspbian Jessie Repository is because it will not compile for ARMv6, therefore the RPF would need to offer multiple Jessie .IMG files.

This has been discussed several times, though an alternative Browser is Firefox ESR.

FYI ARMv6 CPU is in the BCM2835 SoC of RPi0 / RPi1 / CM1

This is where I am starting to get confused. Traditionally, in x86 land, there is plenty of software available in the repos that does not work on certain CPUs but can still be installed. For instance, Chromium itself requires SSE2 but it can be installed from the repos by someone running an AMD Athlon XP CPU which lacks SSE2 support. But crucially, we don't hold everyone back because people with obsolete computers maybe can't run some program. Screw those people, seriously.

Firefox is a gigantic piece of crap for my needs though. I do not have my doctorate in computer engineering so am unable to bypass SSL errors. It's a one line process in Chromium.
fruit-uk wrote:
Jason_25 wrote:IThe only reason I can see after searching for Debian not having Chromium already is because they could not keep up with security patches. That is not a valid excuse to drop software.
You really think that?
That is the only reason I could find through searching. Please enlighten me otherwise.
gkreidl wrote:
Jason_25 wrote:... or install from a 3rd-party repo. No one else wants to type stuff into their sources.list either. ...
Why not? Lot's of people have done so and get a working version of chromium-browser and recent updates.
kusti8 is doing a great job here.
He really is and I appreciate everything he has done. I would prefer to personally use, and distribute, only software that I have personally compiled from source or installed from a major trusted repo.

kusti8

Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:12 pm

In the land of x86, there are so many products by so many different companies that it is impossible for them to all work together and it's a miracle that they all work as well as they do.

The Raspberry Pi is one company /charity who develops an OS. They have said backwards compatibility to be important, so that beginners won't be confused and loose support or people buying old hardware will not be lost. They have stated that they intend to support ARMv6 for 5 years from launch, like Debian, but with the Pi Zero this is another five years. Most software works fine with this.

The fact is that Chromium would be very slow on older devices as well. I have no idea why Debian dropped support for this. But unless you are a person who only retrieves things from a single repo and has never downloaded a binary or downloaded a source and gone through the entire thing to make sure it is safe, I see no reason why the current situation is bad. I am providing packages and many people have seen success. Isn't that what a big repo is? A place where many people trust the software coming out of it?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

ghans

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:14 pm

If you really abhor the idea of backwards compability and a non-rolling release model one
wonders why you choose to run Raspbian.

Just to drive that point home :
Raspbian only exists because some people considered "obsolete" ARMv6
machines of such relevance that they were willing to recompile all of Debian.

If you can complain about Linux distros it is not about a lack of choice.

Rumor has it that some people are already running an AArch64 kernel on their Pi3s. They
seem to be unable to use some peripherials though (including the framebuffer ... ?!) ;)

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Koeshi

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:30 pm

ghans wrote: Rumor has it that some people are already running an AArch64 kernel on their Pi3s. They
seem to be unable to use some peripherials though (including the framebuffer ... ?!) ;)

ghans
I must ask where you have seen this rumour as I would quite like to give that a try.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Re:

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Jason_25 wrote: But crucially, we don't hold everyone back because people with obsolete computers maybe can't run some program. Screw those people, seriously.
Well, how very nice of you. Basically saying the CM, Pi0 and Zero users are unimportant? Well, to misquote NTNOCN, I think you are unimportant too, Mr Jason_25.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Koeshi wrote:
ghans wrote: Rumor has it that some people are already running an AArch64 kernel on their Pi3s. They

ghans
I must ask where you have seen this rumour as I would quite like to give that a try.
Fedora Distro: https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2016/06/new ... s-uploaded

adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

raspremo

Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:54 am

+1 for the request of Chromium!
kusti8 is doing a great job with his repo, but a special device like RPi3 needs an official, fast and fully featured browser like Chromium.. Web/Epiphany is unstable and lacks too many functions.

gkreidl

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:44 pm

raspremo wrote:+1 for the request of Chromium!
kusti8 is doing a great job with his repo, but a special device like RPi3 needs an official, fast and fully featured browser like Chromium.. Web/Epiphany is unstable and lacks too many functions.
Didn't you read the thread and the explanations given? The Raspbian repository is compiled for ARMv6 to be compatible for all RPi versions. There is no chromium-browser version for ARMv6 Jessie (and it would be too slow, anyway).
What's wrong with adding a special repository with programs compiled for ARMv7?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:09 pm

raspremo wrote:+1 for the request of Chromium!
OK go out and buy a RPi ZERO, create a Raspbian Jessie SD Card then boot it up and install Chromium Browser, then please come back here and inform us oldies why it does not function :D
adieu

Return to “Raspbian”