yonubear

rpi2 constant sd curruption

Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:23 pm

I am in need of some help I finally upgraded my rpi to a rpi2 however I keeps corrupting sd cards I have tried multiple cards and it is always the same result I it will lockup then not boot with FS problems. I have all logs and temp folds in ram drives and disabled swap files.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks,
Yonu

mikronauts

Re: rpi2 constant sd curruption

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:02 am

I can only think of:

1) bad RPi 2

2) bad power supply

3) bad power cable

4) old firmware, try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update
yonubear wrote:I am in need of some help I finally upgraded my rpi to a rpi2 however I keeps corrupting sd cards I have tried multiple cards and it is always the same result I it will lockup then not boot with FS problems. I have all logs and temp folds in ram drives and disabled swap files.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks,
Yonu
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

yonubear

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:06 am

I have tried the firmware update already

Power I have tried 3 power cord and several power adapters. I don't get a flashing read light..

How would I go about testing the rpi2?

Thanks,
Yonu

klricks

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:22 am

Overclocking?
Properly powering down the RPi?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

yonubear

Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:25 am

Nope not overclocking it.

And yeah I always shut it down properly in fact I shut it down the other day killed power and when I reconnected power today it would not boot. The odd part is if I take the card out and place it in a Linux pc I can read the partition and files fine.

Thanks,
Yonu

peterlite

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:39 am

Are the FS problems in Ext4 or FAT partition?

yonubear

Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:22 pm

When I fsck the card it complains about the superblock on the ext4 but it says it can't fix it.

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:48 pm

If you're trying to fsck the live filesystem, it won't work. If you're trying to fsck on another linuxen boxen, then take the time to rsync the data to a new card and retire the old one. (Or wipe the partition table and start over and hope the card doesn't bork out on you later.)
Account Inactive

yonubear

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:26 pm

OK I did try to fsck on a different pc. And this is a brand new card. I did a fresh install when I got the new card just to make sure.

Thanks,
Yonu

peterlite

Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:33 am

If it is the card, what brand/model? I use only Samsung and Sandisk because they always work despite my rough treatment. No problems from static or from sitting on the cards or accidentally using them as a coaster for my coffee mug.

Most of the other brands do not make their product. What you get with some brands is whatever they purchased cheap that week from an unknown factory.

The next problem I found was using the NOOBS card supplied in a kit. NOOBS screwed up something when it was supposed to reallocate the Ext4 partition and switch to Raspbian. After that I used only straight Raspbian downloads and never had problems.

Some USB hub/cables provided too little power and corrupted Raspbian partition. The recommended power supplies always work. My USB 3 hub with the 4 amp power supply, combined with short USB cables, always works.

yonubear

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:28 am

The current card is a sandisk I don't have the model handy but it is a 16gb class10 I am using the current build of raspbian rather than noobs. As for power I actually even tried powering it from the 5v rail of my server psu via the GPIO 5v pins to rule out power issues.

Simple question would moving the OS off the SD card to a flash drive do any good to test the problem?

Thanks,
Yonu

peterlite

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:32 am

I find flash drives more variable and less reliable than SD cards. A real SSD should help. You boot from the FAT partition on the microSD card to an Ext4 partition on an SSD. The Ext4 partition on the SD card should not be updated during the boot and should never corrupt.

Return to “Raspbian”