recantha

Time for a new version of Raspbian?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi.
Given how long apt-get upgrade and Hexxeh's update script now takes to run, would it be possible for the Foundation to release a new version of the Raspbian image with all the updates included?

--
Mike
My Raspberry Pi blog with all my latest projects and links to articles
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Time for a new version of Raspbian?

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I believe there is something in the pipeline, but these things take a while to 1) Get everything in and 2) Test to make sure it all works.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Montala

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Wasn't a new one only released a few days ago?

I have just checked the download page and their would appear to be an updated version of Raspbian "wheezy" dated 16th August 2012.

Now, I try and keep a fairly close eye on the Forums, and what is currently 'going on', but I have completely missed any announcement about this latest release... has their actually been one?

Thanks! :)

dom

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:43 pm

No big announcement. It's just a refresh. It will be virtually identical to an old image that has ran
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Just means a newly imaged sdcard will have some useful bug fixes (especially the FAT corruption).

Montala

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:53 pm

dom wrote:No big announcement. It's just a refresh. It will be virtually identical to an old image that has ran

Just means a newly imaged sdcard will have some useful bug fixes (especially the FAT corruption).
Thanks Dom!

I would have thought that the later would be quite important for a lot of users... I will be downloading it first thing in the morning!

recantha

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:47 am

*groans* I must have missed the updated version by a matter of hours...
http://raspberrypipod.blogspot.com. +++ Current project: PiPodTricorder - lots of sensors, lots of mini-displays, breadboarding, bit of programming.

maui

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:32 am

Is there some way to get a release note? ...like what has been updatet/corrected? ;)

for ex. is the 1-Wire driver in the new build?

RaTTuS

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:36 am

Montala wrote:
dom wrote:No big announcement. It's just a refresh. It will be virtually identical to an old image that has ran

Thanks Dom!

I would have thought that the later would be quite important for a lot of users... I will be downloading it first thing in the morning!
just keep uptodate with
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

sotris99

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 am

yesterday i did sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade finished upgrading my raspberry pi.

then i did sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and some more upgrades appeared. why is this happening?
Ἓν οἶδα, ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα. (All I know is that I know nothing)

recantha

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:01 am

I suspect it's because there are a lot of people contributing to the open source project - the Raspbian image will tap into that, so there will probably always be updates.

I'm very glad that a new image has been posted on the Download page. Although, yes, I can just type in all the commands to keep updated, as I said it gets to be a very boring process waiting for the (increasingly large) updates when you're re-installing your SD card several times a day trying to get that all-important completely-working base image for your hardware!

jerry.tk

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:30 am

recantha wrote: I'm very glad that a new image has been posted on the Download page. Although, yes, I can just type in all the commands to keep updated, as I said it gets to be a very boring process waiting for the (increasingly large) updates when you're re-installing your SD card several times a day trying to get that all-important completely-working base image for your hardware!
You can always backup your current SD card state to some image file and write that back instead of the original official image. This way you would keep your updates and settings.

recantha

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 am

Yes, I know that. Sorry, got my "What if someone who doesn't know what they're doing is trying to do this?" hat on.

Return to “Raspbian”