Diaoul

XBMC for Raspbian

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Hi guys,

I saw a lot of distributions out there dedicated to make XBMC work more or less "out of the box" (Raspbmc, XBian, OpenElec).
I think installing XBMC should be as simple as

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install xbmc-rbp
So I decided to make a .deb package and an easy and reliable packaging suite heavily inspired by upstream. This is tested and working, you can refer to the README for usage and installation instruction.
I hope we'll see this package on the official Raspbian repository soon, in the meantime I put my precompiled .deb files in the download section.

Repository: https://github.com/Diaoul/xbmc-rbp-packaging

Current status:
  • Samba support
  • NFS support
  • No Airplay support
  • No CEC support
Any feedback and/or contribution is welcome

ghans

Re: XBMC for Raspbian

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Why don't you cooperate ?

I saw at least 3 different efforts to package XBMC as .deb (which i can not understand) - along the different XMBC distros ( which I can understand to a limited degree) ?

Can't you put some of your bugtrackers and repos together ? Working against each other dilutes the power of
open source , IMHO !

But else , i honestly want to thank you for your efforts. I would talk to asb and mthopmson to have it included in the repos.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Diaoul

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:47 pm

Cooperate with what ? Currently there is no packaging suite to gather on, no project, just some people working on their own and publishing .deb files once they got XBMC to compile.

I put all that together and ported the way XBMC is packaged under Debian to Raspbian so that it could be handled by the package maintainers later on.

This is an opportunity for people willing to help to work on a correct basis.

Juggler

Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:45 pm

just great if we have apt-get install xbmc with all configurable "bells and whistles".
waiting for "packagers" to unite.

p.s.: xbian distro is far from perfect as of 0.6.2

smonkey

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:00 am

I like the idea of this :)

As long as it's easily updatable, for example if you add in airplay support, people can just apt-get update / apt-get upgrade to get the latest.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice to make it modular, like php in debian for example, so people can pick and choose what they want, ie...
apt-get install xbmc xbmc-nfs xbmc-pulsecec
etc..

ghans

Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:14 am

@Diaoul

Those were the guys :

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =35&t=9210
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=12455

And here are the Raspbian guys :

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 66&t=10304

So how do you collaborate ? I do not know.
But a common blog and a common repo would be good , IMHO. Then just a PayPal "Donate !" button and
you should be ready to go !?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Diaoul

Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 am

1st link is about chrooting OpenElec under Raspbian which isn't the point here
2nd link is tomaz's package with no packaging suite, just .deb files available and those are really ugly (from a packaging point of view) but working (from a user point of view)
3rd link is a way to compile XBMC and it helped me a bit but has not much to do with packaging

I think you misunderstand, this is not another XBMC .deb, this is XBMC's packaging suite for Debian ported to Raspbian.
This is not redundant with anything done yet as no one did this before. I hope this will open the way to a xbmc-rbp package in Raspbian and hope that some developers will help me in achieving this goal.

ghans

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks for clearing this up , Diaoul !

I was actually thinking that you could PM the others , asking thek if they are interested
to collaborate with you. I just talk from a user standpoint. For me , a central Rasbian package project would be
better than have to talk to different people.

ghans

Return to “Raspbian”