DirkS

Re: New to Raspbian and Linux? Start here...

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:28 pm

momoz wrote:Hello
Hello to you too.

Please create a new topic with for your question. By hiding it in an old topic the chances of getting a useful response are very slim...
BTW; do you actually have a problem with SPI?

momoz

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello,

For the moment I don't have problem for SPI, but my friend who worked has some time problem on the Chip enable line.

for that reason I'd like to work on the oldest version 3.18

Thank you

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:56 pm

momoz wrote:Hello,

I'm new to raspbian, and just to start I'd like to install on my Raspberry Pi B+ the Raspbian Jessie.
in the download section I've found that thers's the version 4.1 for Debian Jessie but I'd like to install thee oldest version 3.18

I need this version:
Linux raspberrypi 3.18.7+ #755 PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:14:31 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

could you please tell me where can I find this image?

If you ask me why I need this old version because I have a friend who told me that the Linux kernels that use the feature called “device-tree” seem to have a timing related problem with the SPI CE lines. This may cause communication disorders / problems on the SPI bus. (For the Raspberry Pi the kernel versions 4.x and newer seem to have that problem.)

so to far a way from that problem I said is better to install the Linux raspberrypi 3.18.7+ version

Thank you in advance

Best regards
The standalone Raspbian Wheezy .IMG from May 2015 has 3.18.x Kernel

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

TheGuyUk

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:17 am

I am new to Raspbian and command line Linux.

The trouble with this thread is it more about experienced users suggesting possible commands a new to Raspbian and Linux person might need or use.

Older people might recall command line operating systems but today a lot of people use Windows, Mac, Apple ios or Android which use the graphics user interface of drop and drag, click and do.

What is needed is a sticky that assumes no prior Raspbian or Linux derivative use, ie

Raspbian is a operating system for computer in the same way as Microsoft Windows, Mac, Apple ios or Android are operating system that allow you to use the device they are working on.

Raspbian has a graphics user interface that allows you to use a mouse and keyboard to use the computer Raspbian works on and run the programmes that come installed and ready to work as part of the installed Raspbian operating system.

Raspbian also allows use of what is called a command line to tell Raspbian operating system what to do. These commands can be issued using a programme called a Terminal. The commands are a collection of letters or words that Raspbian understands and then does the required task asked but only if the command follows the correct way, syntax for writing the command.

Examples are

Sudo

Apt-get

At first this will seem strange but with practice and learning one or two commands at a time as well as reading up on what Raspbian is and what it can do, things will make more sense.

You will meet many people who are very experienced with Raspbian and the other operating systems Raspbian is based on, some of which are Debian, Linux, Unix.
Some of these people have jobs working with the operating systems just mentioned, every day.

Remember to be patient with them, they forget how strange and confusing a totally new way of doing things on a computer system, you are still learning, can be.

They expect people to Read The Full Manual rather than bother with silly easy questions but Raspbian Noobs comes with no visible manual Not even a " Read me" text file on the graphics user interface, desktop"

It can be a steep learning curve and is affected by what you happen to already know or not know about computers and the Raspbian operating system.

Even looking on the internet can result in different solutions or topics being found on how to use Raspbian which means everybody can have a different point of view on what to learn and when.

It is similar to going to a new country with a map but not understanding fully the place names or language used by the people.

Just a suggestion. ;)

janborkowski

Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:00 am

Hi all, I am new to raspbian and Linux. I have an old pc and I want to install Raspbian as my only operating system. Is it possible? So this means no windows no osx.

Thank you!

Jan

dasmanul

Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:20 am

Hi Jan,

Raspbian is a Linux distribution especially for the Raspberry Pi single board computer and can only be installed there.

There are plenty of Linux distributions to choose from for a PC, however. Do a web search for "Linux Mint", "Ubuntu", "Debian", or maybe just for "recommended Linux distribution for beginner". I'm currently using Mint.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:21 am

janborkowski wrote:Hi all, I am new to raspbian and Linux. I have an old pc and I want to install Raspbian as my only operating system. Is it possible? So this means no windows no osx.

Thank you!

Jan
Raspbian is a respin of Debian 8 Jessie with a modified LXDE Desktop specifically for the Raspberry Pi SBC.

I personally have a 12 year old HP MiniPC Turion64 which will has Lubuntu installed and is far more usable than Windows XP (it will not run Windows7) fortunately it has 1GB Memory. If it only had 512MB Memory would of installed Debian LXDE instead. Both Operating Systems have a similar look and feel to Raspbian.

My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

flagtrax

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:19 am

Being a member of several forums like the Arduino forum, the Everything 8266 forum, off topic forums, like tractor forums, diesel forums, etc; I totally agree as a Brand Newbie to the Raspberry Pi world and this forum that steering a neophyte like myself is definitely needed to keep the levels of frustration down. By steering I mean pointing to valid information so that one can learn and grow. I must say however that so far this thread has served to more confuse me than enlighten me. I have next to no knowledge of Raspian, Linux or nature of the beast. My command line skills date back to the days of the 8080 cpu, coding in assembly, and using operating systems like CP/M, DOS, and RTE (HP). Point being that other than those posts pointing me to a reference, I have little understanding of what is being said. I think this is the very think the originator was meaning....

Return to “Raspbian”