tredjejuni

Re: New to Raspbian and Linux? Start here...

Tue May 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi,
I wanna install the different OS versions in VirtualBox to see which one I want to go for IRL later. However, the download of Raspbian “wheezy” is a .img file and I don't know how to make it run. Is there an .iso-file anywhere? :?:

I also can't figure out how the Win32DiskImager. works. I have specified the -img-file but none of the buttons are clickable so I can't pack nor unpack the -img file so to speak.

TimG

Sun May 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Virtualbox simulates a desktop PC, so can only run PC software. Raspbian is made for a computer with a different processor and different architecture, and will not run on a PC.

However, Raspbian is based closely on Debian, which is available for PCs. Take a look at http://www.debian.org/CD/ for ISOs.

Joe Schmoe

Sun May 19, 2013 3:07 pm

I wanna install the different OS versions in VirtualBox to see which one I want to go for IRL later. However, the download of Raspbian “wheezy” is a .img file and I don't know how to make it run. Is there an .iso-file anywhere?
As the other poster has noted (somewhat obtusely), VirtualBox isn't the right tool for this task. Instead, use QEMU. The difference is that VB is a "hard emulator", whereas QEMU is a "soft emulator". You need the later in this case.

Look for a thread called "Emulating Raspberry Pi in Windows the easy way", which contains most of the details you will need.

Finally, though, there is the question of "Why?" Why not just try them out on the Pi itself and see what works best? IMHO, the whole QEMU thing was mostly a stop-gap for the bad old days when no one could get a Pi, and we all needed something to do in the meantime. But now that you already have a Pi, why not just go ahead and use it?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

pkrakow

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Here's a nice excerpt from the Debian administrator's handbook:

CULTURE Flamewar, discussion that catches fire

A “flamewar” is an exceedingly impassioned debate, which frequently ends up with people attacking each other once all reasonable argumentation has been exhausted on both sides. Certain themes are more frequently subject to polemics than others (for example, the choice of text editor, “do you prefer vi or emacs?”). The matters often provoke very rapid e-mail exchanges due to the sheer number of people with an opinion on the matter (everyone) and the very personal nature of such questions.

Nothing particularly useful generally comes from such discussions; stay out of such debates, and rapidly skim through their content. Full reading would be too time-consuming.

:mrgreen:

happyrasp

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Hey I was wondering if it would be possible to install Virtualbox on Raspberry? I remember on Debian Wheezy being able to use the virtual package virtualbox which installed all the necessary packages for Virtualbox. Now this virtualbox package is not available in the repository I am using. The packages that I can download are the following:

virtualbox-dkms
virtualbox-guest-dkms
virtualbox-guest-source
virtualbox-ose
virtualbox-ose-dbg
virtualbox-ose-dkms
virtualbox-ose-fuse
virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms
virtualbox-ose-guest-source
virtualbox-ose-guest-utils
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11
virtualbox-ose-qt
virtualbox-ose-source
virtualbox-source
virtualbox-guest-additions
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso

Does anyone know what packages of the ones listed I need to download in order to start Virtualbox?

Thanks in advance!

itimpi

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 pm

You cannot. Virtualbox is designed to run on Intel based systems, not ARM based one like the Pi.

Oakham

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:33 pm

happyrasp wrote:Hey I was wondering if it would be possible to install Virtualbox on Raspberry? I remember on Debian Wheezy being able to use the virtual package virtualbox which installed all the necessary packages for Virtualbox. Now this virtualbox package is not available in the repository I am using. The packages that I can download are the following:
Thanks in advance!
Where did you find the ARMv6 packages ? All I can fid is this page:

http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/virtualbox

Architecture Package Size Installed Size Files
amd64 12,467.6 kB 44,703.0 kB
  • i386 12,603.1 kB 45,774.0 kB
    Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

happyrasp

Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 am

itimpi wrote:You cannot. Virtualbox is designed to run on Intel based systems, not ARM based one like the Pi.
    Alright that makes sense. Thanks!

Oakham wrote:

I found them here http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... irtualbox/.

Oakham

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:43 am

happyrasp wrote:
      itimpi wrote:You cannot. Virtualbox is designed to run on Intel based systems, not ARM based one like the Pi.
      Alright that makes sense. Thanks!

Oakham wrote:

I found them here http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... irtualbox/.
        They are the same packages I linked to 4.1.18-dfsg-2+deb7u1 :)
        Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

neamerjell

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:35 am

Having previous experience with MS-DOS is a major plus! Most of the concepts will transfer over to Linux. Some of the commands will even be familiar: cd, mkdir, move...

Things that I used most often in DOS that work differently in Linux:
        -clear the screen
        DOS
        cls
        LINUX
        clear

List the contents of the current directory, grouping sub-directories first, sorting by name, and showing one screen full at a time
        DOS
        dir /o:gn /p
        LINUX
        ls --color=auto --group-directories-first -laFh | less
        (that is a pipe character between -laFh and less)

Warm boot
        DOS
        [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL]
        LINUX
        sudo reboot
        or
        sudo shutdown -r now

Edit a file
        DOS
        edit c:\path\filename.ext
        LINUX
        nano /path/filename.ext
        there are other editors available, but I've gotten comfortable with nano

Stop a runaway program
        DOS
        [CTRL]+c
        LINUX
        [CTRL]+z

Create a file directly from the command line
        DOS
        copy con filename.ext
        this text is in the file
        [CTRL]+z
        LINUX
        cat > filename.ext
        this text is in the file
        [CTRL]+d

Then there are the things that are only roughly equivalent:
        DOS attrib is a little bit like Linux chmod, the DOS file autoexec.bat is kind of like the Linux file ~/.bashrc, the DOS file config.sys is a little bit like the Linux file /boot/config.txt

Like I mentioned earlier, the concepts will transfer over, but there are enough differences to keep it, um, interesting? confusing? Perhaps both! :)

confuseling

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Post the actual error messages!

Some of the worst things you can write in a request for help are "I get an error", or "It says something about..."

The only polite response is "What is the error?", and most of the wizened old Linux gurus won't bother to post that.

If you're not connected to the net, you can record a transcript of a terminal session with the utility 'script'.

Code: Select all

$ script myerrors

will create a file called 'myerrors', logging all terminal output until you type 'exit'. You can then copy this file to the Windows / Mac readable partition of your SD card - 'sudo cp myerrors /boot'.

If you are using a different locale, you can prepend commands with 'LANG = c' to temporarily override it, and give output in English. For example

$ LANG=c sudo aptitude install <package which won't install>

----

Preventing people from having to fish for the right information out of you will lead to you getting more helpful responses - as the old adage goes, "You need to help others to help you."
        http://forums.debian.net

dosch

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Tanga wrote:I use leafpad. Yeah, I know, no credibility, but I don't see the reason to struggle with clunky non-gui and obscure text editors. I just right click on the file that needs editing and have it execute the command sudo leafpad ...
        Where can I find/get LeafPad? Nothing happens when I type

LeafPad
        in CLI.

Also

sudo apt-get install LeafPad
        doesn't do anything for me...

DeeJay

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:47 pm

dosch wrote:
        Tanga wrote:I use leafpad. Yeah, I know, no credibility, but I don't see the reason to struggle with clunky non-gui and obscure text editors. I just right click on the file that needs editing and have it execute the command sudo leafpad ...
        Where can I find/get LeafPad? Nothing happens when I type

LeafPad
        in CLI.

Also

sudo apt-get install LeafPad
        doesn't do anything for me...
        Not LeafPad.

leafpad - that's all.

It's installed in Raspbian by default, no need to try to install it again.
        How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
        How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

doveman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm trying to follow this guide to install an OpenVPN server http://jamesslootweg.com/view/Using_you ... cess_point

but I'm having problems with practically everything.

I'm using Putty to connect (and WinSCP which would be easier to edit the files with but that doesn't have permission to edit anything so I can't do much with it). I had to run sudo vi pptpd.conf to be able to write that file but vi is acting up and keeps doing weird things, like when I'm typing an IP address, it will suddenly duplicate it about 20 times, so that I have to go to the end and delete all this (Backspace doesn't seem to work to delete either, so that makes it more fiddly), or sometimes typing . will make it create a new line and I can't find a way to delete these blank lines, which I don't suppose affects the functioning of the file but makes it look messy and it annoying.

I've got as far as editing /etc/rc.local but I can't edit that at all, even though I'm running su vi rc.local, as it says it's read-only.

I tried some of the things suggested in this thread but "script myerrors" gives "~bash: /usr/bin/script/: cannot execute binary file" and "sudo script myerrors" gives "/usr/bin/script/: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")".

I've copied some of the output from Putty below to show what I'm getting.

Using username "pi".
        pi@192.168.1.71's password:
        Linux doveman-VPN 3.6.11+ #538 PREEMPT Fri Aug 30 20:42:08 BST 2013 armv6l

Last login: Wed Nov 27 17:30:46 2013 from 192.168.1.64
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ script myerrors
        -bash: /usr/bin/script: cannot execute binary file
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ sudo script myerrors
        /usr/bin/script: 1: /usr/bin/script: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ su script myerrors
        -bash: /bin/su: cannot execute binary file
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ sudo su
        /bin/su: 1: /bin/su: : not found
        /bin/su: 2: /bin/su: -P,K?:OA!@nlVi mBoUL1.j=EhI5%[`)4C
        $
        kJ_bM9H7&
        ELF(À®4u4 PuTTYPuTTY (¤f¤æ444 TTT°f°fìnìnìhEønøn|||DDQåtdRåtdìnìnìn/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-linux.so.3GNUGNU¯ñsÉÕ0çÙ`çLWnapQZTe"W3-P,K?:OA!@nlVi: not found
        /bin/su: 5: /bin/su: PuTTYPuTTYSyntax error: ")" unexpected
        PuTTYPuTTYpi@doveman-VPN ~ $ PuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYsi
        -bash: PuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYsi: command not found
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ si
        -bash: si: command not found
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ su
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ script errors
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ script myerrors
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ su script myerrors
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ sudo script myerrors
        /usr/bin/script: 1: /usr/bin/script: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")") â÷ÿëÀå¤+
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ lâ: not found ådøÿë$ /usr/bin/apt-get: 3:/usr/bin/apt-get: 4: /usr/bin/apt-get: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ sudo passwordinstall LeaåÀad
        sudo: password: command not found-get: 0 áà
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ sudo password
        sudo: password: command not found â÷ÿëÀå¤+
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ aâ: not founde/upgrade/distådøÿë$de /usr/bin/apt-get: 3:/usr/bin/apt-get: 4: /usr/bin/apt-get: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
        pi@doveman-VPN ~ $ sudo apt-get install joeåÀ
        /usr/bin/apt-get: 1: /usr/bin/apt-get: 0 áà

EDIT: I think I'll write the wheezy image to the SD card and start again, following this guide this time http://unvexed.blogspot.dk/2012/08/how- ... d-vpn.html

EDIT2: OK, great that worked. It's up and running now but I can only connect to the OpenVPN server using the LAN IP, not the WAN IP/Dynamic DNS, so there's obviously something about my BT Home Hub 3 router that's causing problems. Hopefully there's a fix as it's not much use otherwise!

Mr.Dave

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Been a long time since I tried Raspbian, been using my Pi as a Media Centre

So my question, have we got full desktop environment hardware acceleration yet ?

Last time I used it, it was a laggy slideshow hence why the Pi ended up as something usable

ABrender

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Folks,
        using Pi as Timecapsule for a while now. Yes it it slower, anyhow you might fall over another problem: From time to time your Mac is saying your backup is defect.
        Use this guide to fix it:
        http://www.garth.org/archives/2011,08,2 ... rrors.html

Best..

Mr.Dave

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Mr.Dave wrote:Been a long time since I tried Raspbian, been using my Pi as a Media Centre

So my question, have we got full desktop environment hardware acceleration yet ?

Last time I used it, it was a laggy slideshow hence why the Pi ended up as something usable
        No reply? ^^^

DeeJay

Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Mr.Dave wrote: have we got full desktop environment hardware acceleration yet ?
        http://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/#previe ... rd-desktop
        How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
        How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

algorithm

Sat May 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Unfortunately, that link leads nowhere now that the blog entry is on page two. This is the single article url: http://www.raspberrypi.org/preview-the- ... d-desktop/

Daveonearth

Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi

I have a strange one, I get to the boot menu where I can select to change password or startx or overclock etc, when I select an option it just loops back to this menu?

Any ideas?

Andrew_ww

Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Is there gcc toolchain (with Rasp own sdks) built into Raspbian? "cc" does nothing :( I prefer compile & link applications for Rasp _on_ Rasp instead of a dedicated linux. It will be eXtreme handy.

plugwash
        Forum Moderator
        Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:05 am

Andrew_ww wrote:Is there gcc toolchain (with Rasp own sdks) built into Raspbian?
        Yes
        "cc" does nothing :(
        Are you sure? what parameters are you invoking it with? what do you expect it to do?

Remember the default output filename if you don't specify otherwise is a.out.

rmcaninch

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Need root? Want to know the root password?

If you're using the Raspbian image from the RPi Foundation, e.g.
        https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Then you probably don't need either of those, this has been done to improve security.
        Out of the box you will be user 'pi'
        The pi user is a sudoer (See 'man sudoers' or google it).

pi@raspberrypi:~$ man sudoers
        What that means is to run a command as root you lead it with sudo

Instead of:

pi@raspberrypi:~$ raspi-config
        use this and type your pi password (raspberry by default):

pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo raspi-config
        If you need to run a bunch of commands as root, and promise to be extra careful,
        then you can also use:

pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo su
        root@raspberrypi:/home/pi#
        Notice, the prompt changed. You are now root (be careful) until you type exit.

Try not to type sudo in front of everything, defeats the purpose, and also may end up with files having the wrong owner and permissions assigned.

Chasew395

Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:18 pm

I am fairly new to Raspberry Pi and today I just got a Wi-Pi dongle. I tried setting it up and i'm not seeing the wifi config option, ive tried everything to get it to work. i don't know if its a compatibility issue with the board, if its an issue with the Wi-Pi dongle, or if its an issue with raspbian. I am running a Raspberry Pi 2.0 with raspbian installed off of NOOBS1.4.1 downloaded from the internet.

momoz

Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:12 am

Hello,

I'm new to raspbian, and just to start I'd like to install on my Raspberry Pi B+ the Raspbian Jessie.
        in the download section I've found that thers's the version 4.1 for Debian Jessie but I'd like to install thee oldest version 3.18

I need this version:
        Linux raspberrypi 3.18.7+ #755 PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:14:31 GMT 2015 armv6l GNU/Linux

could you please tell me where can I find this image?

If you ask me why I need this old version because I have a friend who told me that the Linux kernels that use the feature called “device-tree” seem to have a timing related problem with the SPI CE lines. This may cause communication disorders / problems on the SPI bus. (For the Raspberry Pi the kernel versions 4.x and newer seem to have that problem.)

so to far a way from that problem I said is better to install the Linux raspberrypi 3.18.7+ version

Thank you in advance

Best regards

Return to “Raspbian”