ilFuria
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Fri May 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Hello,
I own a Pi 3B, with raspbian.
To start using it (before any "interesting" projects) I wanted to get a grip on raspbian/linux and I tried to create some kind of torrent client.
I am on a mac and access the pi via ssh.
I own a network drive, which I can access from the pi directly, after mounting it as described in this page.
I installed the transmission daemon and configured to write my files to the mounted folder.
What it happen is that, remotely, I can start the downloads but, whenever I reach around 60-65% of the download, the transmission client tells me that I have a "permission denied" error on the shared folder.
I actually am clueless on where to start about this, can anyone please help? Thanks!

mob-i-l
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:45 am
Location: Lund, Skåne/Scania, Sweden
Contact: Website Facebook Google+ Twitter YouTube

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Mon May 23, 2016 8:11 am

I have not even used the Transmission demon, but have you tried connecting the drive via USB to the Pi? Does that work?
Have Pi0&1A&1B&1B+&2B&3B&4B w/ Raspbian. Started w/ BASIC on ABC80&ZX81 then Forth, Z80… https://scratch.mit.edu/users/mobluse/ https://github.com/mobluse/ https://twitter.com/mobluse/ https://YouTube.com/MOBiL4u/

ilFuria
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Tue May 24, 2016 5:40 pm

mob-i-l wrote:I have not even used the Transmission demon, but have you tried connecting the drive via USB to the Pi? Does that work?
The drive has only a LAN working interface (i.e. the usb is broken), nevertheless from the pi (moreover from the user who runs transmission) I can browse it, create new files and directories, delete files, etc… so I don't know where to start

karlabdool
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 4:31 am

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Wed May 25, 2016 4:34 am

I had a similar issue when downloading to the sd card.

I had to give the download folders write permission. This solved my issue.

google the commands and try it out.

ilFuria
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Wed May 25, 2016 5:48 pm

karlabdool wrote:I had a similar issue when downloading to the sd card.

I had to give the download folders write permission. This solved my issue.

google the commands and try it out.
hi, thanks for your kind reply; I already have writing permission on the whole folder tree on the network drive. In fact I can write files in the directory, edit them, etc.
So I don't think you fix can apply. I double checked the permissions right now and they are set correctly, there must be something I'm missing…
thanks anyway

Peter Ryan
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:44 am
Location: UK

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Wed May 25, 2016 11:05 pm

I've not moved my transmission download directory from the default (/var/lib/transmission-daemon/downloads/) and it's permissions are set as:

Code: Select all

drwsrwxr-x  debian-transmission  debian-transmission
So perhaps the owner/group and setuid bit are important? If so, you need the following:

Code: Select all

$ sudo chown debian-transmission:debian-transmission your-download-dir
$ sudo chmod 4775 your-download-dir

User avatar
startrek.steve
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Thu May 26, 2016 9:14 am

As a quick test you could try running Transmission as root (Not permanantly though)
I prefer deluge on Raspbian

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

fredoll
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Thu May 26, 2016 9:24 am

How big is the file that you are downloading ?
What File System has your lan drive ?

Could it be a limitation of the file system (ie FAT has a 4GB limit per file I think) ?

Fred

ilFuria
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Sun May 29, 2016 1:26 pm

startrek.steve wrote:As a quick test you could try running Transmission as root (Not permanantly though)
I prefer deluge on Raspbian

Steve
Hi, I'm running only transmission-daemon, and I'm running the /etc/init.d script with sudo. Do you think I should try running it directly from the root account?

Surely it's not a filesystem problem since, just fro trying, I'm downloading 300kB files…
thanks

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36578
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Sun May 29, 2016 3:35 pm

ilFuria wrote:
startrek.steve wrote:As a quick test you could try running Transmission as root (Not permanantly though)
I prefer deluge on Raspbian

Steve
Hi, I'm running only transmission-daemon, and I'm running the /etc/init.d script with sudo. Do you think I should try running it directly from the root account?
No.

What you need to remember with transmission-daemon is that it re-writes the config file whenever it is stopped. So you edit the config, you stop the daemon to install your changes and they get wiped out. That's 100% insane (and exceedingly bad program design). As soon as you realise that first move is stop the daemon, second move is edit the config, third move is restart the daemon then all things start to fit into place.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

ilFuria
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Re: Using an external drive with transmission on a pi

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:48 am

DougieLawson wrote:
ilFuria wrote:
startrek.steve wrote:As a quick test you could try running Transmission as root (Not permanantly though)
I prefer deluge on Raspbian

Steve
Hi, I'm running only transmission-daemon, and I'm running the /etc/init.d script with sudo. Do you think I should try running it directly from the root account?
No.

What you need to remember with transmission-daemon is that it re-writes the config file whenever it is stopped. So you edit the config, you stop the daemon to install your changes and they get wiped out. That's 100% insane (and exceedingly bad program design). As soon as you realise that first move is stop the daemon, second move is edit the config, third move is restart the daemon then all things start to fit into place.
Hello.
That I did, but no luck. I don't think it's a transmission-related problem, but the fact that I'm really unable to do this makes me think that I should search for another torrent-daemon program to test this… any suggestions? Thanks

Return to “Raspbian”