aoakley

Problems updating to latest Raspbian on non-Bluetooth Pis

Wed May 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi, I have Raspbian Jessie up-to-date as of 28 April running on a RPi 2 (not 3, no bluetooth).

I have just tried to upgrade to the latest Raspbian as per the blog post:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/

This blog post tells me to:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install piclone geany usb-modeswitch pi-bluetooth
sudo apt-get install python-pigpio python3-pigpio
The upgrade fails with:

Setting up bluez (5.23-2+rpi1) ...
Job for bluetooth.service failed. See 'systemctl status bluetooth.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript bluetooth, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing package bluez (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up bluez-firmware (1.2-3+rpi1) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pi-bluetooth:
 pi-bluetooth depends on bluez; however:
  Package bluez is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package pi-bluetooth (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for dbus (1.8.20-0+deb8u1) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u4) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 bluez
 pi-bluetooth
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
sudo systemctl status bluetooth.service returns:

● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2016-05-18 15:52:35 BST; 47min ago
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
 Main PID: 21795 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

May 18 15:52:35 rpi-3025 bluetoothd[21795]: Bluetooth daemon 5.23
May 18 15:52:35 rpi-3025 bluetoothd[21795]: Failed to access management interface
May 18 15:52:35 rpi-3025 systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
May 18 15:52:35 rpi-3025 systemd[1]: Failed to start Bluetooth service.
May 18 15:52:35 rpi-3025 systemd[1]: Unit bluetooth.service entered failed state.
Clearly this is failing because there is no Bluetooth module on my Pi 2. Issuing sudo apt-get remove --purge pi-bluetooth && sudo apt-get autoremove --purge solves this, but is very far from ideal.

However I would like this system kept up-to-date with the latest Raspbian, but without having to completely re-image. I am trying to have an up-to-date image that I can insert into any of my Pis, including PiB 1rev1, 1rev2, A, A+, B+, Pi2s, Zeroes, New Zeroes and Pi3s. (I run Cotswold Raspberry Jam. I have... a lot... of Pis. If you have donated to our fleet, thank-you.).

Is there any way to fully upgrade Raspbian to have the Bluetooth stuff ready for machines that feature it, whilst also working correctly on machines which do not, please?

Surely the generic fresh Raspbian image has to handle this situation, so... how do I upgrade to that state from an existing Jessie install please?

(There are many reasons why I don't want to re-image, notably that this image has all our tutorial files for the children's programming tutorials that we have at Cotswold Jam, plus the wifi already set up, plus my automatic hostname configuration script... etc. etc.)
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

NickT

Re: Problems updating to latest Raspbian on non-Bluetooth Pi

Wed May 18, 2016 4:14 pm

I had the same error. I think that if you reboot your system, then type sudo apt-get upgrade, all will be OK. That's what I did on my pis and it was fine.

aoakley

Wed May 18, 2016 4:27 pm

NickT wrote:I had the same error. I think that if you reboot your system, then type sudo apt-get upgrade, all will be OK. That's what I did on my pis and it was fine.
Hurrah! A reboot and then reapply the update, worked.

Apparently the Raspberry Pi & Raspbian's reliabillity and long uptime is now a problem ? ;-)

This is still a bug in the upgrade process that will presumably hit any non-bluetooth user attempting to upgrade.

Thanks for the tip.
Andrew Oakley - Cotswold Raspberry Jam, Gloucestershire - http://www.cotswoldjam.org

Douglas6

Wed May 18, 2016 4:33 pm

Not sure why you would install pi-bluetooth without having an adapter. On systems not having Bluetooth hardware, you could ignore the error when trying to start the Bluetooth service.

ergatif

Mon May 30, 2016 11:00 am

A simple reboot worked for me. What I did :

# apt-get purge pi-bluetooth bluez
# reboot
# apt-get install pi-bluetooth bluez

hartacus

Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:01 am

Douglas6 wrote:Not sure why you would install pi-bluetooth without having an adapter.
In my experience it's one of the dist-upgrade packages, and doesn't have to be selected manually to get the issues in the OP's post.

Seen this myself on both an RPi B and an RPi 2. I've just apt-get removed bluez, pi-bluetooth and bluez-firmware which stops the issue until the next dist-upgrade. Will try the restart thing next time. But agree with the OP that this is a bug in the upgrade process.

Return to “Raspbian”