Gadgetguy

easy way to stop continual pauses youtube playback chromium

Tue May 17, 2016 5:18 am

If you are annoyed with continual pauses in youtube playback in Chromium an apparent and easy solution is to enter chrome://flags in your address bar, then search down until you find Media Source API, disable it and relaunch your browser. As I understand it this disables dash playback and allows proper buffering of the video which is important for those with a weak processor or slow internet. It allows you to pause the video and lets it continue to load. I guess it will also disable 1080p playback of video in browser window but that ain't going to happen anyways! The difference is quite dramatic at least on my r[i 2. I am not sure if there are any other adverse consequences to this modification but at least it is easily reversible
I came across this idea in this forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... e_without/

Presumably this works in firefox.

Normally I play youtube videos in chromium using Kusti8's rpi extension which invokes high quality playback in G. Kreidl's omxplayergui or
alternatively by dragging the youtube link or url in the address bar into smplayer with hardware accelerated mpv :

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=148185

Or by using kweb's play button. However there are times when you just want it to play in the browser window without incessant stuttering

gkreidl

Re: easy way to stop continual pauses youtube playback chrom

Tue May 17, 2016 6:13 am

Great tip!
I was always wondering why i got this stop and go effect in chromium. Now it's running smoothly.

Similar changes in Iceweasel help a bit, but video is still lagging. And using that setting in Firefox produces corrupted sound.

BTW, kweb also runs default 360p video smoothly on a RPi3, even 720p video (cinema mode) is watchable (a few lost frames, maybe).

But I still prefer running all web video in omxplayerGUI (from kweb(3), chromium-browser, Iceweasel and Firefox).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

cjan

Tue May 17, 2016 10:21 am

good tip.
youtube from 240p to 360p in chromium with P2.

lumsdot

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:06 am

Yes this works great, thanks

Return to “Raspbian”