Malman35

I've got some problems after new update!

Sat May 14, 2016 3:38 am

The upgrades are great but I can't seem to get 2 desktops.
I always use two desktops when I work so it is a pain without them. The desktop pager on the menu bar only shows one desktop. If I right click the desktop pager the settings button is grayed out. I also went to the Desktop settings and couldn't find anything about multiple desktops! Also my all the stuff I had on my desktop is gone (not the background picture just the apps/folders/files). There wasn't a backup in the oldconffiles folder either. The stuff is still in the Desktop folder in the file manager but not on the main desktop screen. Weird right! And when I try to drag stuff onto the desktop it doesn't work. Also when I used to right click on the desktop it would come up with a menu that said stuff like paste, select all, ect. But now when I right click the only thing that comes up is Desktop preferences. What is going on here! Can someone please help.

Rive

Re: I've got some problems after new update!

Sat May 14, 2016 3:45 am

I can open and go to multiple desktops by clicking the mouse scroll

I still get "paste" and 'select all' when I right click

4.4.9 jesssie:

Last edited by Rive on Sat May 14, 2016 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
DNPNWO

Malman35

Sat May 14, 2016 3:51 am

I found another problem! I installed the new programs, Geany and sd-card copier and they aren't showing up in the menu (the one in the top right corner). They aren't showing up in the applications menu (the one found in the file manager on the left hand). I know there installed though cause I found them in /usr/share/applications and I ran both programs to. What is going on here :oops:

Malman35

Sat May 14, 2016 3:53 am

Rive wrote:I can open and go to multiple desktops by clicking the mouse scroll

Sure that worked fine. I added another desktop and it worked like before. BUT when I logout of the desktop session or reboot then startx it is back to one desktop. It basically won't keep 2 desktops. It would be incredibly annoying if I had to do that every time I started a desktop session.

Rive

Sat May 14, 2016 3:54 am

Malman35 wrote:I found another problem! I installed the new programs, Geany and sd-card copier and they aren't showing up in the menu (the one in the top right corner). They aren't showing up in the applications menu (the one found in the file manager on the left hand). I know there installed though cause I found them in /usr/share/applications and I ran both programs to. What is going on here :oops:

it is in my Menu

Programs/Geany
Accessories/SD Card Copier
DNPNWO

Rive

Sat May 14, 2016 3:56 am

Malman35 wrote:
Rive wrote:I can open and go to multiple desktops by clicking the mouse scroll

Sure that worked fine. I added another desktop and it worked like before. BUT when I logout of the desktop session or reboot then startx it is back to one desktop. It basically won't keep 2 desktops. It would be incredibly annoying if I had to do that every time I started a desktop session.
You mean like an F1 startx? (alt+ctrl+f1).. works for me
DNPNWO

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sat May 14, 2016 4:15 am

It sounds like your sd card is corrupted or something else is messed up. A lot of what you're talking about hasn't been touched at all and wouldn't be any different from the previous release.

Malman35

Sat May 14, 2016 4:38 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:It sounds like your sd card is corrupted or something else is messed up. A lot of what you're talking about hasn't been touched at all and wouldn't be any different from the previous release.
Well I can't really just restart! :oops: Is there a way I could restore the panel and desktop back to default. It wouldn't be that hard for me to make it back to the way I want it.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 14, 2016 9:16 am

Malman35 wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:It sounds like your sd card is corrupted or something else is messed up. A lot of what you're talking about hasn't been touched at all and wouldn't be any different from the previous release.
Well I can't really just restart! :oops: Is there a way I could restore the panel and desktop back to default. It wouldn't be that hard for me to make it back to the way I want it.
You could always restore your backup, which you of course have. Yes, there are way to restore defaults, but if your filesystem is corrupted, you're only seeing a symptom of a bigger problem.

Malman35

Sat May 14, 2016 9:57 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Malman35 wrote:
You could always restore your backup, which you of course have. Yes, there are way to restore defaults, but if your filesystem is corrupted, you're only seeing a symptom of a bigger problem.
I do have a backup but it is from February :oops: but if all possible I would rather not do that so I could at least try to restore the desktop and menu bar defaults (and whatever else needs to be restored). Could you please tell me how to cause I don't know.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 14, 2016 10:23 am

I don't know the state of your filesystem or what you want to achieve exactly. The main problem is that most of what's broken for you is stuff that hasn't been touched by this update at all.

Try this:

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css ~/.config/Trolltech.conf ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE-pi ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/desktop.conf ~/.themes/PiX ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall raspberrypi-ui-mods.
This will remove all the custom stuff from your home directory. Make sure your packages are up to date and then reinstall customisations, in case those files are corrupted. When you restart, those files will be copied into your home directory again. It won't restore it to how it was before the update, but it should make sure the ui-related changes are correct. If your filesystem is corrupted, there are no guarantees that anything will work as it should.

It also won't help you with your desktop background issue because it was also not touched by the recent updates. You'll need to figure out why that's not displaying on your own. It kind of sounds like pcmanfm desktop and maybe even openbox isn't running. Maybe there's something insightful in logs like ~/.cache/lxsession/LXDE-pi/run.log or ~/.cache/openbox/openbox.log

Malman35

Sat May 14, 2016 10:52 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:I don't know the state of your filesystem or what you want to achieve exactly. The main problem is that most of what's broken for you is stuff that hasn't been touched by this update at all.

Try this:

rm -rf ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css ~/.config/Trolltech.conf ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE-pi ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/desktop.conf ~/.themes/PiX ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE-pi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall raspberrypi-ui-mods.
This will remove all the custom stuff from your home directory. Make sure your packages are up to date and then reinstall customisations, in case those files are corrupted. When you restart, those files will be copied into your home directory again. It won't restore it to how it was before the update, but it should make sure the ui-related changes are correct. If your filesystem is corrupted, there are no guarantees that anything will work as it should.

It also won't help you with your desktop background issue because it was also not touched by the recent updates. You'll need to figure out why that's not displaying on your own. It kind of sounds like pcmanfm desktop and maybe even openbox isn't running. Maybe there's something insightful in logs like ~/.cache/lxsession/LXDE-pi/run.log or ~/.cache/openbox/openbox.log
Well some things are fixed. :) First the desktop works perfectly fine now and same for the menu bar. The things that are still not working are that the newly installed applications are not showing up in the application menu and I can't seem to get it to keep both desktops. If I log out of the lxsession or reboot then it resets it to only 1. Maybe I need to reinstall those things to. If so how would I do it? Thanks for your help! :)

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 14, 2016 11:01 am

There is a utility called 'debsums' which might help you. Install it and read the manpage for it.

Also, try deleting ~/.cache/menus

Malman35

Sat May 14, 2016 11:16 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:There is a utility called 'debsums' which might help you. Install it and read the manpage for it.

Also, try deleting ~/.cache/menus
First I removed ~/.cache/menus using

sudo rm -r ~/.cache/menus
I then rebooted and the menu was still there but the only things on it where "Run..." (it has got a picture of gears next to it) and then the shutdown menu! What happened! I also opened the file manager and navigated to menu://applications/ and there was nothing there! I installed that program you mentioned and looked at the man page but I don't really get what it is supposed to do. Sorry :roll:

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 14, 2016 12:10 pm

It should tell you which files may have been corrupted.

So it seems like your menu was using the cached version of applications and that's why the new ones weren't displayed. For whatever reason, it's not checking the applications again. This isn't something we would've touched, so the problem is elsewhere. Debsums may help you find out which packages you need to re-install.

Malman35

Sat May 14, 2016 12:32 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:It should tell you which files may have been corrupted.

So it seems like your menu was using the cached version of applications and that's why the new ones weren't displayed. For whatever reason, it's not checking the applications again. This isn't something we would've touched, so the problem is elsewhere. Debsums may help you find out which packages you need to re-install.
Okay that is great but uh how do I use debsums to check that stuff and how can I tell what needs to be reinstalled

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 14, 2016 1:25 pm

Malman35 wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:It should tell you which files may have been corrupted.

Okay that is great but uh how do I use debsums to check that stuff and how can I tell what needs to be reinstalled
Sorry, I can't make it clearer than the manpage and a set of google queries for the specific parts you don't get. Also dpkg's -S flag or apt-file would be useful too.

Malman35

Sat May 14, 2016 2:01 pm

I don't know exactly what Im looking for but would this be a clue.

[email protected] ~ $ sudo debsums -s -e
debsums: changed file /etc/skel/.bashrc (from bash package)
debsums: missing file /etc/default/chromium-browser (from chromium-browser package)
debsums: changed file /etc/dphys-swapfile (from dphys-swapfile package)
debsums: changed file /etc/fb.modes (from fbset package)
debsums: changed file /etc/default/rcS (from initscripts package)
debsums: changed file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf (from lightdm package)
debsums: changed file /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf (from lightdm-gtk-greeter package)
debsums: changed file /etc/login.defs (from login package)
debsums: changed file /etc/xdg/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf (from lxde-common package)
debsums: changed file /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf (from lxde-common package)
debsums: changed file /etc/xdg/openbox/LXDE/rc.xml (from lxde-common package)
debsums: changed file /etc/default/useradd (from passwd package)
debsums: changed file /etc/sysctl.conf (from procps package)
debsums: changed file /etc/sudoers (from sudo package)
[email protected] ~ $
If this is what I'm looking for then I have no clue what to do next. Thanks again for your time.

ShiftPlusOne

Sun May 15, 2016 3:28 am

Malman35 wrote:I don't know exactly what Im looking for but would this be a clue.

[email protected] ~ $ sudo debsums -s -e
debsums: missing file /etc/default/chromium-browser (from chromium-browser package)
debsums: changed file /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf (from lightdm-gtk-greeter package)
debsums: changed file /etc/xdg/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf (from lxde-common package)
debsums: changed file /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.conf (from lxde-common package)
[email protected] ~ $
If this is what I'm looking for then I have no clue what to do next. Thanks again for your time.
That looks roughly like what I'd expect, so that's promising.

So what are the remaining problems? No desktop background and an empty menu?

Malman35

Sun May 15, 2016 3:43 am

Don't know if this would be of any help but I also tied this.

[email protected] ~ $ sudo debsums -s -a
[email protected] ~ $ 

Malman35

Sun May 15, 2016 12:31 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote: So what are the remaining problems? No desktop background and an empty menu?
I have a background picture. That worked fine. Please see pics for better explanation
As you can see the application menu on the top left is empty and the application menu in the file manager is also empty.
Every time I reboot or log out of the desktop session it goes back to only one desktop.

ShiftPlusOne

Mon May 16, 2016 9:59 am

What does /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-pi-applications.menu look like?

Could you also try deleting the menu cache again and also ~/.local/share/applications/* and ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/*?

In ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml, look for this:

<desktops>
    <!-- this stuff is only used at startup, pagers allow you to change them
       during a session

these are default values to use when other ones are not already set
       by other applications, or saved in your session

use obconf if you want to change these without having to log out
       and back in -->
    <number>1</number>
Change number to however many desktops you need, log out and back in. Alternatively, install obconf and use that to make the change.

Malman35

Mon May 16, 2016 11:32 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:What does /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-pi-applications.menu look like?

<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/1.0/menu.dtd">

<Menu>

<Name>Applications</Name>
	<Directory>lxde-menu-applications.directory</Directory>

<!-- Read standard .directory and .desktop file locations -->
	<DefaultAppDirs/>
	<DefaultDirectoryDirs/>

<!-- Read in overrides and child menus from applications-merged/ -->
	<DefaultMergeDirs/>

<!-- Accessories submenu -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Accessories</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-utility.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Utility</Category>
	<!-- Accessibility spec must have either the Utility or Settings
			 category, and we display an accessibility submenu already for
			 the ones that do not have Settings, so don't display accessibility
			 applications here -->
				<Not><Category>Accessibility</Category></Not>
				<Not><Category>System</Category></Not>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu> <!-- End Accessories -->

<!-- Accessibility submenu -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Universal Access</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-utility-accessibility.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Accessibility</Category>
				<Not><Category>Settings</Category></Not>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu> <!-- End Accessibility -->

<!-- Development Tools -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Development</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-development.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Development</Category>
			</And>
			<Filename>emacs.desktop</Filename>
		</Include>
	</Menu> <!-- End Development Tools -->

<!-- Education -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Education</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-education.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Education</Category>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu> <!-- End Education -->

<!-- Games -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Games</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-game.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Game</Category>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu> <!-- End Games -->

<!-- Graphics -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Graphics</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-graphics.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Graphics</Category>
				<Not><Category>Utility</Category></Not>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu> <!-- End Graphics -->

<!-- Internet -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Internet</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-network.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Network</Category>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu>	 <!-- End Internet -->

<!-- Multimedia -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Multimedia</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-audio-video.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>AudioVideo</Category>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu>	 <!-- End Multimedia -->

<!-- Office -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Office</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-office.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Office</Category>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu> <!-- End Office -->

<!-- System Tools-->
	<Menu>
		<Name>System</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-system-tools.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>System</Category>
				<Not><Category>PackageManager</Category></Not>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu>	 <!-- End System Tools -->

<!-- Other -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Other</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-other.directory</Directory>
		<OnlyUnallocated/>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Not><Category>Core</Category></Not>
				<Not><Category>Screensaver</Category></Not>
			</And>
		</Include>
		</Menu> <!-- End Other -->

<!-- Help -->
	<Menu>
		<Name>Help</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-help.directory</Directory>
		<Include>
			<And>
				<Category>Help</Category>
			</And>
		</Include>
	</Menu>	 <!-- End System Tools -->

<Menu>
		<Name>DesktopSettings</Name>
		<Directory>lxde-settings.directory</Directory>
		<OnlyUnallocated/>
		<Include>
			<Or>
				<Category>Settings</Category>
				<Category>PackageManager</Category>
				<Category>System</Category>
			</Or>
		</Include>
		<Layout>
			<Merge type="menus"/>
			<Merge type="files"/>
		</Layout>

</Menu> <!-- End Settings -->

<Layout>
		<Menuname>Development</Menuname>
		<Menuname>Office</Menuname>
		<Menuname>Internet</Menuname>
		<Menuname>Games</Menuname>
		<Menuname>Other</Menuname>
		<Menuname>Accessories</Menuname>
		<Merge type="files"/>
		<Merge type="menus"/>
		<Separator/>
		<Menuname>Help</Menuname>
		<Separator/>
		<Menuname>DesktopSettings</Menuname>
	</Layout>

</Menu> <!-- End Applications -->
ShiftPlusOne wrote:Could you also try deleting the menu cache again

sudo rm -r ~/.cache/menus
rm: cannot remove ‘/home/pi/.cache/menus’: No such file or directory
ShiftPlusOne wrote:also ~/.local/share/applications/* and ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/*
There was absolutely no change in the menus. Nothing happened
ShiftPlusOne wrote:In ~/.config/openbox/lxde-pi-rc.xml, look for this:
CODE: SELECT ALL
  <desktops>
    <!-- this stuff is only used at startup, pagers allow you to change them
       during a session

these are default values to use when other ones are not already set
       by other applications, or saved in your session

use obconf if you want to change these without having to log out
       and back in -->
    <number>1</number>

Change number to however many desktops you need, log out and back in. Alternatively, install obconf and use that to make the change.
Awesome! :D It works! I've got my desktops back :mrgreen:

ShiftPlusOne

Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Could you post the output of 'export'?

Malman35

Mon May 16, 2016 12:39 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:Could you post the output of 'export'?

[email protected] ~ $ export
declare -x DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-n68hsVPLgC,guid=57d2b673856030a4dcf218ca5739af4d"
declare -x DESKTOP_SESSION="LXDE-pi"
declare -x DISPLAY=":0.0"
declare -x HOME="/home/pi"
declare -x HUSHLOGIN="FALSE"
declare -x LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
declare -x LOGNAME="pi"
declare -x LS_COLORS="rs=0:di=01;34:ln=01;36:mh=00:pi=40;33:so=01;35:do=01;35:bd=40;33;01:cd=40;33;01:or=40;31;01:su=37;41:sg=30;43:ca=30;41:tw=30;42:ow=34;42:st=37;44:ex=01;32:*.tar=01;31:*.tgz=01;31:*.arc=01;31:*.arj=01;31:*.taz=01;31:*.lha=01;31:*.lz4=01;31:*.lzh=01;31:*.lzma=01;31:*.tlz=01;31:*.txz=01;31:*.tzo=01;31:*.t7z=01;31:*.zip=01;31:*.z=01;31:*.Z=01;31:*.dz=01;31:*.gz=01;31:*.lrz=01;31:*.lz=01;31:*.lzo=01;31:*.xz=01;31:*.bz2=01;31:*.bz=01;31:*.tbz=01;31:*.tbz2=01;31:*.tz=01;31:*.deb=01;31:*.rpm=01;31:*.jar=01;31:*.war=01;31:*.ear=01;31:*.sar=01;31:*.rar=01;31:*.alz=01;31:*.ace=01;31:*.zoo=01;31:*.cpio=01;31:*.7z=01;31:*.rz=01;31:*.cab=01;31:*.jpg=01;35:*.jpeg=01;35:*.gif=01;35:*.bmp=01;35:*.pbm=01;35:*.pgm=01;35:*.ppm=01;35:*.tga=01;35:*.xbm=01;35:*.xpm=01;35:*.tif=01;35:*.tiff=01;35:*.png=01;35:*.svg=01;35:*.svgz=01;35:*.mng=01;35:*.pcx=01;35:*.mov=01;35:*.mpg=01;35:*.mpeg=01;35:*.m2v=01;35:*.mkv=01;35:*.webm=01;35:*.ogm=01;35:*.mp4=01;35:*.m4v=01;35:*.mp4v=01;35:*.vob=01;35:*.qt=01;35:*.nuv=01;35:*.wmv=01;35:*.asf=01;35:*.rm=01;35:*.rmvb=01;35:*.flc=01;35:*.avi=01;35:*.fli=01;35:*.flv=01;35:*.gl=01;35:*.dl=01;35:*.xcf=01;35:*.xwd=01;35:*.yuv=01;35:*.cgm=01;35:*.emf=01;35:*.axv=01;35:*.anx=01;35:*.ogv=01;35:*.ogx=01;35:*.aac=00;36:*.au=00;36:*.flac=00;36:*.m4a=00;36:*.mid=00;36:*.midi=00;36:*.mka=00;36:*.mp3=00;36:*.mpc=00;36:*.ogg=00;36:*.ra=00;36:*.wav=00;36:*.axa=00;36:*.oga=00;36:*.spx=00;36:*.xspf=00;36:"
declare -x MAIL="/var/mail/pi"
declare -x OLDPWD
declare -x PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games"
declare -x PWD="/home/pi"
declare -x SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN="gtk"
declare -x SHELL="/bin/bash"
declare -x SHLVL="2"
declare -x SSH_AGENT_PID="8618"
declare -x SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/tmp/ssh-DPHbUJro9THq/agent.8594"
declare -x TERM="xterm"
declare -x USER="pi"
declare -x WINDOWPATH="1"
declare -x XAUTHORITY="/home/pi/.Xauthority"
declare -x XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/etc/xdg"
declare -x XDG_CONFIG_HOME="/home/pi/.config"
declare -x XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP="LXDE"
declare -x XDG_DATA_DIRS="/usr/local/share:/usr/share/raspi-ui-overrides:/usr/share:/usr/share/gdm:/var/lib/menu-xdg"
declare -x XDG_MENU_PREFIX="lxde-pi-"
declare -x XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/run/user/1000"
declare -x XDG_SEAT="seat0"
declare -x XDG_SESSION_ID="c1"
declare -x XDG_VTNR="1"
declare -x _LXSESSION_PID="8594"
[email protected] ~ $ 

Return to “Raspbian”