ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Is there something wrong with the commands I posted for you?

If you use those commands, you should end up with onboard installed.

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:29 pm

ktb wrote:Is there something wrong with the commands I posted for you?

If you use those commands, you should end up with onboard installed.
I am not sure of this, do I copy the text and paste into terminal, or type each line?

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Sparks135 wrote:
ktb wrote:Is there something wrong with the commands I posted for you?

If you use those commands, you should end up with onboard installed.
I am not sure of this, do I copy the text and paste into terminal, or type each line?
Note: There were two problems with the commands I posted.

You could copy and paste each of these commands or you can type them if you want. Hopefully the following makes things more clear.

Step 1. Install dependencies

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts bzr debhelper dh-python python3-dbus python3-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo python3-distutils-extra libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libxtst-dev libxkbfile-dev libhunspell-dev libpython3-all-dev python3-all-dev python3-all dconf mousetweaks libatspi2.0-dev at-spi2-core gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-appindicator gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas iso-codes librsvg2-common xdg-utils
Step 2. Create a directory for source code and move into that directory

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ mkdir -p ~/software/source && cd ~/software/source
Step 3. Download the onboard source code

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ bzr branch lp:onboard
Step 4. Move into the onboard directory

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ cd onboard
Step 5. Build the onboard packages

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ debuild binary
Step 6. Install the onboard packages

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:49 pm

ktb wrote:
Sparks135 wrote:
ktb wrote:Is there something wrong with the commands I posted for you?

If you use those commands, you should end up with onboard installed.
I am not sure of this, do I copy the text and paste into terminal, or type each line?
Note: There were two problems with the commands I posted.

You could copy and paste each of these commands or you can type them if you want. Hopefully the following makes things more clear.

Step 1. Install dependencies

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts bzr debhelper dh-python python3-dbus python3-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo python3-distutils-extra libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libxtst-dev libxkbfile-dev libhunspell-dev libpython3-all-dev python3-all-dev python3-all dconf mousetweaks libatspi2.0-dev at-spi2-core gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-appindicator gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas iso-codes librsvg2-common xdg-utils
Step 2. Create a directory for source code and move into that directory

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ mkdir -p ~/software/source && cd ~/software/source
Step 3. Download the onboard source code

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ bzr branch lp:onboard
Step 4. Move into the onboard directory

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ cd onboard
Step 5. Build the onboard packages

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ debuild binary
Step 6. Install the onboard packages

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb
Now those are great directions.

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Step 1. Install dependencies

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts bzr debhelper dh-python python3-dbus python3-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo python3-distutils-extra libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libxtst-dev libxkbfile-dev libhunspell-dev libpython3-all-dev python3-all-dev python3-all dconf mousetweaks libatspi2.0-dev at-spi2-core gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-appindicator gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas iso-codes librsvg2-common xdg-utils
Step 2. Create a directory for source code and move into that directory

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ mkdir -p ~/software/source && cd ~/software/source
Step 3. Download the onboard source code

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ bzr branch lp:onboard
Step 4. Move into the onboard directory

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ cd onboard
Step 5. Build the onboard packages

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ debuild binary
Step 6. Install the onboard packages

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb
[/quote]

Now those are great directions.[/quote]
I copied step one and pasted it into terminal and it came back as command not found.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Sparks135 wrote:I copied step one and pasted it into terminal and it came back as command not found.
Sparks135,

Please avoid quoting my long posts. It makes these threads more difficult to read, more redundant, and less useful to others.

Since you didn't post the exact command and output from what you copied and pasted I'm going to have to assume that you copied all the content within the code tags and tried to run that. The first part of the content within each of code tags I posted is not actually a part of the command, it's only supposed to indicate to you that the commands are to be entered into a terminal and as the pi user in this case. It also shows you which directory you are currently in as you move through the steps.

The [email protected]:~ $ is not a part of the command. The first command starts with sudo apt-get install. The rest of the commands I posted are similar in that you should leave out the first part of the content within each section of code tags up to and including the $ symbol. So, the second command begins with mkdir. The third command begins with bzr. The fourth command begins with cd. The fifth command begins with debuild. The sixth command begins with sudo.

Do you understand?

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:23 pm

ktb wrote:
Sparks135 wrote:I copied step one and pasted it into terminal and it came back as command not found.
Sparks135,

Please avoid quoting my long posts. It makes these threads more difficult to read, more redundant, and less useful to others.

Since you didn't post the exact command and output from what you copied and pasted I'm going to have to assume that you copied all the content within the code tags and tried to run that. The first part of the content within each of code tags I posted is not actually a part of the command, it's only supposed to indicate to you that the commands are to be entered into a terminal and as the pi user in this case. It also shows you which directory you are currently in as you move through the steps.

The [email protected]:~ $ is not a part of the command. The first command starts with sudo apt-get install. The rest of the commands I posted are similar in that you should leave out the first part of the content within each section of code tags up to and including the $ symbol. So, the second command begins with mkdir. The third command begins with bzr. The fourth command begins with cd. The fifth command begins with debuild. The sixth command begins with sudo.

Do you understand?
Yes That is what I did, but after I entered the 3rd command i received no such directory. I will try again later. Thanks for getting back.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:30 pm

Sparks135 wrote:Yes That is what I did, but after I entered the 3rd command i received no such directory. I will try again later. Thanks for getting back.
If you are getting an error message after running one of the commands, then copy and paste the exact command you ran and the error output you received in a post here and I will try to help you.

EpicRPIer
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:06 pm

Is there any other software that provides an on-screen keyboard? I kinda don't want to do a ton of workarounds just to get a buggy, years old software to run with issues unresolved since years...

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Mon May 01, 2017 2:32 am

The only on-screen keyboard I like and would recommend is Onboard which you would have to build yourself for Raspbian Jessie (it's available as a package in Raspbian Stretch). I've posted instructions for building Onboard in this thread. I did recently try Florence on Raspbian Jessie and it seemed to work well enough. When testing Florence in the past, it definitely had issues which made it unusable.

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Mon May 01, 2017 4:36 am

ktb wrote:The only on-screen keyboard I like and would recommend is Onboard which you would have to build yourself for Raspbian Jessie (it's available as a package in Raspbian Stretch). I've posted instructions for building Onboard in this thread. I did recently try Florence on Raspbian Jessie and it seemed to work well enough. When testing Florence in the past, it definitely had issues which made it unusable.
I followed your directions, and copied the first group of commands with copy and paste, and received the following error. "Command Not Found"

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Mon May 01, 2017 5:55 am

Sparks135 wrote:
ktb wrote:The only on-screen keyboard I like and would recommend is Onboard which you would have to build yourself for Raspbian Jessie (it's available as a package in Raspbian Stretch). I've posted instructions for building Onboard in this thread. I did recently try Florence on Raspbian Jessie and it seemed to work well enough. When testing Florence in the past, it definitely had issues which made it unusable.
I followed your directions, and copied the first group of commands with copy and paste, and received the following error. "Command Not Found"
Sparks135,

Again, I can't help up you if you don't show me the exact command you used and the resulting output.

Which "first group" of commands? I listed each command with a number so you could refer to each command by number. Do you mean the first command? This one?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts bzr debhelper dh-python python3-dbus python3-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo python3-distutils-extra libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libxtst-dev libxkbfile-dev libhunspell-dev libpython3-all-dev python3-all-dev python3-all dconf mousetweaks libatspi2.0-dev at-spi2-core gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-appindicator gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas iso-codes librsvg2-common xdg-utils

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Mon May 01, 2017 2:28 pm

ktb wrote:
Sparks135 wrote:
ktb wrote:The only on-screen keyboard I like and would recommend is Onboard which you would have to build yourself for Raspbian Jessie (it's available as a package in Raspbian Stretch). I've posted instructions for building Onboard in this thread. I did recently try Florence on Raspbian Jessie and it seemed to work well enough. When testing Florence in the past, it definitely had issues which made it unusable.
I followed your directions, and copied the first group of commands with copy and paste, and received the following error. "Command Not Found"
Sparks135,

Again, I can't help up you if you don't show me the exact command you used and the resulting output.

Which "first group" of commands? I listed each command with a number so you could refer to each command by number. Do you mean the first command? This one?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts bzr debhelper dh-python python3-dbus python3-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo python3-distutils-extra libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libxtst-dev libxkbfile-dev libhunspell-dev libpython3-all-dev python3-all-dev python3-all dconf mousetweaks libatspi2.0-dev at-spi2-core gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-appindicator gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas iso-codes librsvg2-common xdg-utils
Yes that is the one that shows errors.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Mon May 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Sparks135 wrote:Yes that is the one that shows errors.
Hi Sparks135,

If you're receiving a "Command Not Found" message in response to running that first command, that doesn't sound good.That would seem to indicate that either sudo or apt-get is missing or corrupted. Of course, you still haven't shown me the actual command you used and the output. Again, it would help for you to copy the exact command and output from the terminal and paste it here in this thread.

I'm about to install a fresh Raspbian Jessie (2017-04-10-raspbian-jessie.img) on a micro SD card. I'll run through the steps myself.

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 3:28 am

Yes it is the first command posted in the original thread. And Command Not found is the error. apt-get works as I have installed other apps. Also have done an update a few minutes ago. I copied the command from my Mac to text edit then to thumb drive. Connected thumb drive to my Raspberry and copied the text from the Thumb drive to terminal. Checked the code exactly as copied.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 3:29 am

Sparks135,

I just tried building it again and I did run into a Python error towards the end of the steps (EDIT: the problem showed up with the command sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb, not debuild binary). This is due to some recent changes (on April 8th) in the Trunk source code which is constantly under development. I will post revised instructions based on the latest "released" source code -- version 1.4.1.
Last edited by ktb on Tue May 02, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 3:30 am

ktb wrote:Sparks135,

I just tried building it again and I did run into a Python error towards the end of the steps (debuild binary). This is due to some recent changes (on April 8th) in the Trunk source code which is constantly under development. I will post revised instructions based on the latest "released" source code -- version 1.4.1.
Thank you.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 3:35 am

Sparks135 wrote:Yes it is the first command posted in the original thread. And Command Not found is the error. apt-get works as I have installed other apps. Also have done an update a few minutes ago. I copied the command from my Mac to text edit then to thumb drive. Connected thumb drive to my Raspberry and copied the text from the Thumb drive to terminal. Checked the code exactly as copied.
Well, I don't know if you somehow mangled the code in that process, but there is nothing wrong with the first command I posted. The only thing I can think of is that end-of-line characters are different on Macs. Once I post new instructions for you, I would recommend opening this thread in a browser on the Pi and copy and pasting them into a terminal directly from this thread.

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 3:39 am

ktb wrote:
Sparks135 wrote:Yes it is the first command posted in the original thread. And Command Not found is the error. apt-get works as I have installed other apps. Also have done an update a few minutes ago. I copied the command from my Mac to text edit then to thumb drive. Connected thumb drive to my Raspberry and copied the text from the Thumb drive to terminal. Checked the code exactly as copied.
Well, I don't know if you somehow mangled the code in that process, but there is nothing wrong with the first command I posted. The only thing I can think of is that end-of-line characters are different on Macs. Once I post new instructions for you, I would recommend opening this thread in a browser on the Pi and copy and pasting them into a terminal directly from this thread.
Will do.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 9:49 am

Sparks135,

The following are the steps I just used to install Onboard 1.3.0 on a fresh Raspbian Jessie (2017-04-10-raspbian-jessie.img). I first tried version 1.4.1, but I encountered a small problem that I didn't want to deal with in this case. The Trunk source code did build properly when I originally posted the previous instructions, but it also currently leads to a problem you should probably just avoid at this time. Onboard 1.3.0 from the Bazaar Launchpad repo is close to the same version you will find on Raspbian Stretch without some minor packaging changes which Debian did. It's somewhat odd, but the resulting packages come out as saying version 1.2.0 which isn't really a problem.

After the command listed in each step, I've also shown how the terminal looked when I entered those commands. Good luck.

Step 1. Update the APT package index

Code: Select all

sudo apt update

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt update
Step 2. Upgrade installed packages

Code: Select all

sudo apt dist-upgrade

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt dist-upgrade
Step 3. Install Onboard dependencies

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends at-spi2-core build-essential bzr dconf debhelper devscripts dh-python gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev iso-codes libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libhunspell-dev librsvg2-common libxkbfile-dev libxtst-dev mousetweaks python3 python3-all-dev python3-cairo python3-dbus python3-distutils-extra python3-gi python3-gi-cairo quilt xdg-utils

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt install --no-install-recommends at-spi2-core build-essential bzr dconf debhelper devscripts dh-python gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev iso-codes libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libhunspell-dev librsvg2-common libxkbfile-dev libxtst-dev mousetweaks python3 python3-all-dev python3-cairo python3-dbus python3-distutils-extra python3-gi python3-gi-cairo quilt xdg-utils
Step 4. Create a directory for the source code

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/software/source

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ mkdir -p ~/software/source
Step 5. Move into the source code directory

Code: Select all

cd ~/software/source

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ cd ~/software/source
Step 6. Create an "onboard" directory which can contain different released versions of Onboard.

Code: Select all

mkdir onboard

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ mkdir onboard
Step 7. Move into the new "onboard" directory

Code: Select all

cd onboard

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ cd onboard
Step 8. Download the Onboard 1.3 source code

Code: Select all

bzr branch lp:onboard/1.3

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ bzr branch lp:onboard/1.3
Step 9. Move into the Onboard 1.3 source code directory

Code: Select all

cd 1.3

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ cd 1.3
Step 10. Build the Onboard packages

Code: Select all

debuild binary

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard/1.3 $ debuild binary
Step 11. Install the Onboard packages

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard/1.3 $ sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 12:20 pm

ktb wrote:Sparks135,

The following are the steps I just used to install Onboard 1.3.0 on a fresh Raspbian Jessie (2017-04-10-raspbian-jessie.img). I first tried version 1.4.1, but I encountered a small problem that I didn't want to deal with in this case. The Trunk source code did build properly when I originally posted the previous instructions, but it also currently leads to a problem you should probably just avoid at this time. Onboard 1.3.0 from the Bazaar Launchpad repo is close to the same version you will find on Raspbian Stretch without some minor packaging changes which Debian did. It's somewhat odd, but the resulting packages come out as saying version 1.2.0 which isn't really a problem.

After the command listed in each step, I've also shown how the terminal looked when I entered those commands. Good luck.

Step 1. Update the APT package index

Code: Select all

sudo apt update

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt update
Step 2. Upgrade installed packages

Code: Select all

sudo apt dist-upgrade

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt dist-upgrade
Step 3. Install Onboard dependencies

Code: Select all

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends at-spi2-core build-essential bzr dconf debhelper devscripts dh-python gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev iso-codes libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libhunspell-dev librsvg2-common libxkbfile-dev libxtst-dev mousetweaks python3 python3-all-dev python3-cairo python3-dbus python3-distutils-extra python3-gi python3-gi-cairo quilt xdg-utils

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt install --no-install-recommends at-spi2-core build-essential bzr dconf debhelper devscripts dh-python gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev iso-codes libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libhunspell-dev librsvg2-common libxkbfile-dev libxtst-dev mousetweaks python3 python3-all-dev python3-cairo python3-dbus python3-distutils-extra python3-gi python3-gi-cairo quilt xdg-utils
Step 4. Create a directory for the source code

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/software/source

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ mkdir -p ~/software/source
Step 5. Move into the source code directory

Code: Select all

cd ~/software/source

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ cd ~/software/source
Step 6. Create an "onboard" directory which can contain different released versions of Onboard.

Code: Select all

mkdir onboard

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ mkdir onboard
Step 7. Move into the new "onboard" directory

Code: Select all

cd onboard

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source $ cd onboard
Step 8. Download the Onboard 1.3 source code

Code: Select all

bzr branch lp:onboard/1.3

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ bzr branch lp:onboard/1.3
Step 9. Move into the Onboard 1.3 source code directory

Code: Select all

cd 1.3

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard $ cd 1.3
Step 10. Build the Onboard packages

Code: Select all

debuild binary

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard/1.3 $ debuild binary
Step 11. Install the Onboard packages

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/software/source/onboard/1.3 $ sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb
opened browser loaded message on Pi entered first command OK entered this [email protected]:~ $ sudo apt update got command not found.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Well, I feel like I'm being trolled at this point. I don't think I can possibly help you after this many attempts. So, good luck with your efforts. I'm done.

Sparks135
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 3:56 pm

ktb wrote:Well, I feel like I'm being trolled at this point. I don't think I can possibly help you after this many attempts. So, good luck with your efforts. I'm done.
I am sorry you feel like you are being Trolled, but I am truly having this problem. Thanks for the help.

ktb
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 pm

Sparks135 wrote:
ktb wrote:Well, I feel like I'm being trolled at this point. I don't think I can possibly help you after this many attempts. So, good luck with your efforts. I'm done.
I am sorry you feel like you are being Trolled, but I am truly having this problem. Thanks for the help.
1. I've already asked you to not quote my long posts, but you seem unable to do that.

2. I've already asked you to copy and paste the exact commands you entered and the output of those commands from the terminal into this thread and you seem unable to do that. Instead you continue to decide to post things like "command not found" or "Command Not Found."

3. I've already explained that the [email protected]:~ $ part of [email protected]:~ $ sudo apt update is not a part of the command. The command is just sudo apt update. If you are unable to run the simple commands sudo apt update or sudo apt-get update, then there is something wrong with your Pi.

Here's what happens when I run the command sudo apt update on Raspbian Jessie:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt update
Get:1 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie InRelease [12.2 kB]
Get:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org jessie InRelease [22.9 kB]
Get:3 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/main armhf Packages [9,531 kB]
Get:4 http://archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/main armhf Packages [156 kB]                                
Get:5 http://archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/ui armhf Packages [57.9 kB]                                                          
Ign http://archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/main Translation-en_US                                                                                
Ign http://archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/main Translation-en                                                                                   
Ign http://archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/ui Translation-en_US                                                                                  
Ign http://archive.raspberrypi.org jessie/ui Translation-en                                                                                     
Get:6 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/contrib armhf Packages [43.2 kB]                                                                
Get:7 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/non-free armhf Packages [84.2 kB]                                                               
Get:8 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/rpi armhf Packages [1,356 B]                                                                    
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/contrib Translation-en_US                                                                         
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/contrib Translation-en                                                                            
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/main Translation-en_US                                                                            
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/main Translation-en                                                                               
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/non-free Translation-en_US                                                                        
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/non-free Translation-en                                                                           
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/rpi Translation-en_US                                                                             
Ign http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org jessie/rpi Translation-en                                                                                
Fetched 9,910 kB in 30s (323 kB/s)                                                                                                              
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
16 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.
3. Are you using Raspbian Jessie? Are you using NOOBS? If you are using Raspbian Jessie, then where did you download or otherwise get it from?

4. How about you run the following two commands and post the exact output here in this thread:

uname -a

cat /etc/os-release

Here's what I mean:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi2b 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

Tentom
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 am

Re: On screen keyboard

Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 am

I needed a on screen keyboard for my Noobs, Raspbian on a RPi 3 B with the 7" display and had some trouble installing Onboard (crashed when pressing on buttons) and the matchbox-keyboard (consumed 25% of cpu,1 core?, in addition it did not stop the process that it started so still consuming 25% cpu after closing it).

This lead me to florence, it seams to work flawlessly, except during install, it is missing a package in the dependency list(at-spi2-core), making the install a little bit confusing. Luckily a quick look into the google-machine solved the problem.

Running this command installed it with no fuss.

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install florence at-spi2-core
FYI: I'am running on:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberry 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
Thought this might be a nice place to post the information if someone needed a on screen keyboard for their pi.

Return to “Raspbian”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests