Gabo353

Re: On screen keyboard

Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:42 pm

I had a similar problem with the icons disappearing.

However I've changed the script to this (mine is named keyboard.sh):

<code>
#!/bin/bash

matchbox-keyboard &
</code>

I leave this on the desktop and it works. Also remember to chmod +x keyboard.sh for it to be executable.

Best Regards,

sumikogurashi

The code is not working.
syntax error.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:47 am

Your forum post has a syntax error.

Use [code]#!/bin/bash

matchbox-keyboard &[/code]

To get

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

matchbox-keyboard &
Not <code>
#!/bin/bash

matchbox-keyboard &
</code>

There's nothing wrong with that bash script, but there are better ways to get programs started when XWindows starts by using the autostart file
http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2014/0 ... e-desktop/
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

mob-i-l

Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:54 pm

I have a strange bug. When I start matchbox-keyboard &, then also pcmanfm starts and runs on almost 100%. I need to close matchbox-keyboard with the close button, and then use kill -9 PID in order to stop pcmanfm, because it doesn't stop by itself. I have the latest Raspbian Jessie installed, using the latest NOOBS, and most dist-upgraded. I use a Raspberry Pi 1B+.
Raspberry Pi0&1A&1B2&1B+&2B&3B w/ Raspbian. Started w/ BASIC on ABC80&ZX81 then Forth, Z80… https://scratch.mit.edu/users/mobluse/ https://github.com/mobluse/ https://twitter.com/mobluse/ https://YouTube.com/MOBiL4u/

19walter57

Fri May 27, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi,
Same problem with the File Manager freezing when I open matchbox-keyboard.
What I do is open a Text file, write the text, close the matchbox-keyboard and then attempt to close the File Manager twice. Both times click 'End Process' in the DialogueBox. It takes a few seconds for the first Dialogue Box to appear. Once the File Manager has closed I can reopen a new File Manager & everything returns to normal until the next time I want to use the matchbox-keyboard.
A lasting solution would be very helpful, Walter

DougieLawson

Fri May 27, 2016 8:50 pm

That's a bug that's been open for about three years (or more) without any resolution from the developers. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix for it.
MQTT Evangelist

jrowe122464

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:15 pm

I have a raspberry pi 3 with the official touch screen display. I am trying to use the on screen keyboard but I am having the same problem as others. The keyboard comes up and all of my icons on the desktop vanish. I also noticed that the cpu monitor in the upper right jumps to 25% and never drops, even after closing the keyboard and waiting a long time(20m+). The only way to fix it is to reboot. After closing the keyboard the little rainbow box is pretty much flashing on the screen. I am using a 2.5a power supply that came with the raspberry. I have tried others with the same results. Has anyone got this thing to work properly?

DougieLawson

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:53 pm

You need to kill the looping pcmanfm task. It's burning all the cycles on one whole core at 100% busy.
MQTT Evangelist

ahlis_se

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Hello All,

first post here..

is it just me noticing that on a fresh install of NOOB including all updates installed, this onscreen keyboard will consume 100% of one core on Raspberry pi 3 ?

is there any solution available to this issue ?

brg
Erik

ahlis_se

Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:38 am

is it possible to get in contact with the creator?

sounds a bit weird to have it running 100%, power consumption will be enormous just for an on screen keyboard.

there are better ways of doing this Im sure..

brg
Erik

ahlis_se

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:54 am

Does anyone know if any other on screen keyboard exist ?

Shastarocks

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:32 pm

There is another one, but I don't know it it is as good as this the other ones though...

sudo apt-get install matchbox

jrowe122464

Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:31 pm

by Shastarocks » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:32 pm
There is another one, but I don't know it it is as good as this the other ones though...
Well this one is broken so it can't be much worse. Care to share any more information, such as a name or location to get it?

jrowe122464

Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:51 pm

DougieLawson wrote:You need to kill the looping pcmanfm task. It's burning all the cycles on one whole core at 100% busy.
how do I do that?

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:14 pm

jrowe122464 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:You need to kill the looping pcmanfm task. It's burning all the cycles on one whole core at 100% busy.
how do I do that?
Open a LXterminal and type sudo killall pcmanfm[ENTER]
MQTT Evangelist

adeel88

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:16 am

I have installed the matchbox-keyboard on raspberry-pi but it only appears when I execute the shell script. My requirement is that it should appear automatically when someone try to write something on text field or when user press finger on the field just like in mobiles. Can someone help me regarding this?

adeel88

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm

I followed the steps and Keyboard is installed. I have a shell file on Desktop with execution rights chmod +x keyboard.sh but when I double click the shell file it opens a prompt: "This text file 'keyboard.sh' seems to be an executable scripts. What do you want to do with it? Execute, Execute in Terminal, Open, Cancel".
I simply wants to open a keyboard without any prompt. Though, I gave execution rights but still it appears. I am facing issue while executing this shell file from my python code. I want to open a keyboard using python code. Can someone help?

keyboard.sh

#!/bin/bash
# kenliew - this is a simple script to run the virtual on screen keyboard

PID=`pidof matchbox-keyboard`
if [ ! -e $PID ]; then
  killall matchbox-keyboard
else
 matchbox-keyboard&
fi

Sparks135

Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi I am new to Raspberry Pi and can't install the keyboard. It gives errors of post install. I see I can download it, but from there I am lost. Where do I find the file and do I just click on it to install. Complete directions would be helpful. Thanks.

ktb

Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:45 am

Sparks135 wrote:Hi I am new to Raspberry Pi and can't install the keyboard. It gives errors of post install. I see I can download it, but from there I am lost. Where do I find the file and do I just click on it to install. Complete directions would be helpful. Thanks.
The error message you posted in your other thread is unrelated to the matchbox keyboard package. It's caused by a problem with the libpam-chksshpwd package. I believe that package is related to the default password check warning viewtopic.php?t=172787&p=1107747

Sparks135

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:51 am

I got it installed, but how do I create the file on the desktop to put in the script?

ktb

Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:06 am

Sparks135 wrote:I got it installed, but how do I create the file on the desktop to put in the script?
First, if you don't see the "Keyboard" menu item in the main menu (top left Raspberry icon) at Accessories > Keyboard, then try opening a terminal emulator (LXterminal - main menu > Accessories > Terminal) and running the command rm -r ~/.cache:

pi@raspberrypi2b:~ $ rm -r ~/.cache
Then log out and log in again. If you don't see it show up in the main menu, then reboot.

At that point you should be able to simply right click on the "Keyboard" menu item (main menu > Accessories > Keyboard) and select "Add to desktop" which will create a symbolic link from ~/Desktop/matchbox-keyboard.desktop to /usr/share/applications/inputmethods/matchbox-keyboard.desktop

Then try running the command rm -r ~/.cache again:

pi@raspberrypi2b:~ $ rm -r ~/.cache
Then log out and log in again. If you don't see it show up on the desktop, then reboot.

Sparks135

Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:34 pm

If I use the code and the keyboard opens, it then locks up the screen, only terminal works file manager does not.

ktb

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:09 pm

Sparks135 wrote:If I use the code and the keyboard opens, it then locks up the screen, only terminal works file manager does not.
Yes. It seems that running matchbox-keyboard causes problems with PCManFM (that is name of the file manager and it also provides the desktop window (desktop icons, wallpaper, etc). I'm not sure what's happening, but PCManFM seems to lock up doing something at 100% CPU usage (one core) when I launch matchbox-keyboard.

I don't use matchbox-keyboard. I prefer the onboard on-screen keyboard, but onboard isn't available as a package for Raspbian Jessie. You could try building it from source. I was going to suggest trying another keyboard named florence, but that one seems to have problems too.

Sparks135

Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:16 pm

How do I build from source?

ktb

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:09 am

Sparks135 wrote:How do I build from source?
I tested onboard a little bit on Raspbian Jessie and it seems to work without problems.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~onboard/on ... ad:/README

sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts bzr debhelper dh-python python3-dbus python3-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo python3-distutils-extra libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libxtst-dev libxkbfile-dev libhunspell-dev libpython3-all-dev python3-all-dev python3-all dconf mousetweaks libatspi2.0-dev at-spi2-core gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-appindicator gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas iso-codes librsvg2-common xdg-utils

mkdir -p ~/software/source && cd ~/software/source

bzr branch lp:onboard

cd onboard

debuild binary

sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb
Last edited by ktb on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sparks135

Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:20 pm

ktb wrote:
Sparks135 wrote:How do I build from source?
I tested onboard a little bit on Raspbian Jessie and it seems to work without problems.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~onboard/on ... ad:/README

sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts bzr debhelper dh-python python3-dbus python3-cairo python3-gi python3-gi-cairo python3-distutils-extra libcanberra-dev libdconf-dev libgtk-3-dev libxtst-dev libxkbfile-dev libhunspell-dev libpython3-all-dev python3-all-dev python3-all dconf mousetweaks libatspi2.0-dev at-spi2-core gir1.2-atspi-2.0 gir1.2-appindicator gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-glib-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gsettings-desktop-schemas-dev gsettings-desktop-schemas iso-codes librsvg2-common xdg-utils

mkdir ~/software/source && cd ~/software/source

bzr branch lp:onboard

debuild binary

sudo dpkg -i ../onboard*.deb
How does one install this?

Return to “Raspbian”