jimb137

WIFI and NOOBS1.8.0 (Jesse)

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:04 pm

System is a Pi 2 with the same WIFI dongle that I've used since my Pi1B was a baby.

Since attempting to migrate from NOOBS1.5.0 (Wheezy) to Jesse (NOOBS 1.8.0) I cannot get the WIFI to connect. On Wheezy I ran a program "wpa_gui" that let me configure for my WIFI setup (simple... WEP, 10 Char. password). I cannot seem to get wifi working on Jesse, nor can I find the correct tools or files to alter the default configuration.

I'd really like to move up to Jesse, since my Pi 3 will be delivered soon.

Jim

fruitoftheloom

Re: WIFI and NOOBS1.8.0 (Jesse)

Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:10 pm

jimb137 wrote:System is a Pi 2 with the same WIFI dongle that I've used since my Pi1B was a baby.

Since attempting to migrate from NOOBS1.5.0 (Wheezy) to Jesse (NOOBS 1.8.0) I cannot get the WIFI to connect. On Wheezy I ran a program "wpa_gui" that let me configure for my WIFI setup (simple... WEP, 10 Char. password). I cannot seem to get wifi working on Jesse, nor can I find the correct tools or files to alter the default configuration.

I'd really like to move up to Jesse, since my Pi 3 will be delivered soon.

Jim

:shock: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... ace-update
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

jimb137

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks to the pointer to the doc, but...

It don't work!!!

I've done everything it (the document) says to do and is still isn't working.

It also says that the old interface (wpa_gui) is still available. I cannot find it anywhere on the NOOBS 1.8 image.

I even resorted to looking at the package source, but nothing appears to work.

Once again, here's the environment... RPi 2, Trendnet USB WIFI dongle, two micro-SD cards... one with NOOBS 1.5.0 (Wheezy) and the other with 1.8.0 (Jesse).

With the Wheezy micro-SD installed, I power up and everything works. With the Jesse micro-SD installed, I power up and no network connection.

I plugged the RPi into the router instead of WIFI, and instant network access. After a reboot, even nntp gave me the correct date/time.

Next I changed dongles. Still no luck. the GUI always shows "wlan0: Not associated"

What am I doing wrong, or should I scrap the NOOBS distribution and use something else as my baseline?

HELP!!!

Jim

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:04 pm

NOOBS is not an Operating System, it is an installer / chooser and at present has no WiFi Support..

Raspbian Wheezy is end of life and is not recommended for the RPi 3B..

Raspbian Jessie can be installed without using NOOBS if you so choose:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

SonOfWheel

Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:08 pm

I found the NOOBS to be more trouble and confusing than putting an image on a SD card and booting the Pi. I used a windows machine to download the image, unzip it, use SDFormatter program to format the SD card and the Win32DiskImager program to put Raspbian on the the SD Card.
The WIFI worked great.

Be sure to use a wifi dongle that supports Linux. This used to be a problem since some USB wifi dongles only support Windows.
B, 2B & 3B
Raspbian Wheezy & Jessie

jimb137

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:05 pm

OK, I waited until my RPi 3 arrived to try, again. Here's what I have determined... Jesse does NOT support WEP at all. I was easily connected to a WIFI hub with WPA/WPA2 security. Since WEP is largely out of date, I'll probably upgrade my WIFI network, and then Jesse will work OK. Until I do that, I'm stuck on my RPi 2 and Wheezy.

Jim

DougieLawson

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:28 pm

jimb137 wrote: Here's what I have determined... Jesse does NOT support WEP at all.
BZZZT, Wrong! Jessie (btw, her name comes complete with an eye) supports it but you have to mess around editing the wpa_supplicant file to add the special arcane incantations to access your 100% insecure network.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Raspbian”