Vanfanel
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:58 pm

SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Hi!
Am I missing somethiing or we don't have an SDL2 2.0.4 (latest stable) package available in Raspbian?
All I see is SDL2 version 2.0.0 which is old and buggy (I build my own SDL2 2.0.4 version for personal use, but I am preparing for the ScummVM 1.8.0 package and it won't work well with SDL 2.0.0, let alone 1.x).

So, any way to install 2.0.4 from apt-get, using additional repositories or something?
I will include a small compilation guide for users in the release, or I could even include SDL2 binaries, but well...That would be a last resort.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19810
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Vanfanel wrote:Hi!
Am I missing somethiing or we don't have an SDL2 2.0.4 (latest stable) package available in Raspbian?
All I see is SDL2 version 2.0.0 which is old and buggy (I build my own SDL2 2.0.4 version for personal use, but I am preparing for the ScummVM 1.8.0 package and it won't work well with SDL 2.0.0, let alone 1.x).

So, any way to install 2.0.4 from apt-get, using additional repositories or something?
I will include a small compilation guide for users in the release, or I could even include SDL2 binaries, but well...That would be a last resort.
It is in Jessie Stretch Testing Release: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libsdl2-dev
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Vanfanel
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:41 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
It is in Jessie Stretch Testing Release: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libsdl2-dev
So, how could it be installed?

sneakernets
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:09 pm

This is one of a handful of essential libraries that do not need to be held back version-wise until the next dist-release. SDL 2.0.4 has explicit, stable Raspberry Pi support - something that should be welcomed into the current stable Raspbian release. In fact, this would be a better move regardless of "instability", as the 2.0.0 release currently in Jessie does not work for the Raspberry Pi at all, and it would be folly to keep that version in a clearly broken state.

As of this writing, I'm having to tell users who want to play ZDoom on Raspberry Pi that they must compile SDL2 from scratch or install the RetroPie SDL 2.0.3 packages, even though SDL 2 is in Jessie, simply because the packages included in Jessie are that broken.

Vanfanel
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:45 am

sneakernets wrote:
As of this writing, I'm having to tell users who want to play ZDoom on Raspberry Pi that they must compile SDL2 from scratch or install the RetroPie SDL 2.0.3 packages, even though SDL 2 is in Jessie, simply because the packages included in Jessie are that broken.
Same story here with Scummvm...

leggazoid
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:40 am

Vanfanel wrote:
sneakernets wrote:
As of this writing, I'm having to tell users who want to play ZDoom on Raspberry Pi that they must compile SDL2 from scratch or install the RetroPie SDL 2.0.3 packages, even though SDL 2 is in Jessie, simply because the packages included in Jessie are that broken.
Same story here with Scummvm...
VanFanel,
Could you please help me port a game to use SDL?

http://methane.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for your consideration,
Leggazoid

exobuzz
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:49 pm

RetroPie-Setup has a set of working sdl2.0.4 debs

if you checkout the code from https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup

you can just do

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh sdl2 install_bin

(no need to actually install retropie etc - but no repository as such).

Ti85
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 am

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:45 am

I'm looking to do some game development on the rpi using sdl2.0. However, it sounds difficult to install/broken on the Rpi. So my question is, if I use the pre compiled sd card retro pi system (petrock), will it include the necessary sdl2.0 tools?

exobuzz
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:39 am

yes, but you can just follow the instructions in the post above and use it to just install sdl2 on raspbian.

Ti85
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 am

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:13 pm

Glad to hear the tools would be included in the sd card image. That will work. I like the one stop shop of the precompiled sd card. I rarely have my Pi online:)

Ti85
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 am

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:48 pm

Is there a simply test or simply program I could use to determine if SDL 2.0.4 is on my system?

User avatar
antiriad
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:38 pm
Location: Italy
Contact: Twitter

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:44 am

Hello,
a lot of projects are "switching" to SDL2 (e.g. Chocolate DOOM V3) and a lot of other great projects that could run on RPi are unusable because of "broken" SDL2 support on Jessie (e.g. Quakespasm).
Maybe some skilled user could share SDL2 2.05 in an "unofficial" repository?

Thanks

HelloRPi
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:15 am

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:22 am

Hi, Is there any recommended way to test the install? I followed the instructions, and it appears to be installed when I type sdl-config --version. However then I installed pysdl2 using the instructions on the pysdl2 documentation (http://pysdl2.readthedocs.io/en/rel_0_9 ... stallation, python setup.py install), and all of the example programs included with pysdl2 result in a window flickering then an error stating that there was no hardware acceleration available.
I had previously tried installing v2.0.5 with the instructions here (http://choccyhobnob.com/tutorials/sdl2- ... pberry-pi/), but there were some errors along the way, and when inside Python, typing 'import sdl2' threw some errors, so I reflashed the SD card and started over.
I'm hoping I can find a way to get a version of SDL2 with hardware acceleration working using PySDL2 on my RPi! I'm using an RPi 3 with Raspbian Jessie.
Thanks.

Impulse
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm
Contact: Website

Re: SDL2 version 2.0.4 package availability

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:17 pm

In case one is looking for an alternate method of confirming whether SDL2 is working correctly, I had created the following very simple test in C for this purpose:
https://github.com/ImpulseAdventure/GUI ... est-sdl2.c

Should be able to compile with:

Code: Select all

gcc -Wall -g -lSDL2 -o test-sdl2 test-sdl2.c
In my own testing I have had to compile SDL2.0.5 from sources on the RPi 3
http://www.impulseadventure.com/elec/ - GUIslice (RPi embedded GUI in C), robots and electronics tinkering

Return to “Raspbian”