GhostRaider

Re: [GUIDE] Raspbian Lite with LXDE/XFCE/MATE/Openbox GUI

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:22 am

paqfan wrote:MANY-MANY THANKS for this great, long, heavy post!

Anyway, I found a small lack in the post, which caused me some headache - in case i'm a starter - to get the gui:
If you install the X-Windows system, to able to launch the "xstart" command, you also have to install the X-Org system:

sudo apt-get install xinit xorg

Thats it.
No problem! But this is addressed in the guide. Its underneath the install Xorg command at the beginning of Part 2.

Gavinmc42

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:08 am

Takes forever to do but it just works :P
Mate even worked on old model B :lol:
A very good post, just what I need to save my 8GB cards from Raspbian bloat.
1.7GB, could even put it on 4GB cards
Quite fast on a Pi3 too
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Gavinmc42

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:19 am

Is there a similar way to add the Pixel desktop to Lite?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

bobbintb

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:10 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:Is there a similar way to add the Pixel desktop to Lite?
Try this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends raspberrypi-ui-mods gvfs xserver-xorg-video-fbturbo
sudo apt-get install -y rpi-chromium-mods
sudo apt-get install -y python-sense-emu python3-sense-emu
sudo apt-get install -y python-sense-emu-doc realvnc-vnc-viewer

ingvarspec

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Thank you so much for this very helpful guide! However, I am using a XFCE desktop, and you have not yet posted how to customize it. How long do you think it will be until you have that posted? I am doing this on a B+, but I just want to be able to set up wifi so I can use this on my Zero. How did you get the XFCE desktop to look like the one in the pictures?

ingvarspec

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Got a problem... neither python 2.7 nor python 3.4 is installed. I tried to install python 2.7 and 3.4 by doing this:

sudo apt-get install python
and

sudo apt-get install python3
In the terminal, it looked like both of them were installed after I installed them, but in the application menu, I could find no trace of them. I even browsed through the file system. I found a couple of folders labeled python 2.7 and python 3.4, but I can never find an executable file. I tried searching python in the application finder, that didn't work. Also tried right-clicking on a .py file and clicking open with python 2.7 and 3.4, but all it did was flash a window of Xterm terminal, nothing else. Any help, please?

GhostRaider

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Theming XFCE is similar to LXDE. You just have to find themes compatible for the XFCE4 desktop. As for Python, well python itself is just a compiler. You need an IDE to actually write python code. There are tutorials out there in using python on Raspberry Pi.

ingvarspec

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Figured out the Python thing. I just needed to install IDLE and IDLE3, since they weren't installed along with Python. Thanks for the help!

renoir

Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:22 am

In the session/logout screen, I'm being asked a root password to reboot, and so I can't reboot. The user selection doesn't even show the pi user, how do I fix this? (to at least show the pi user)

jcao

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:52 am

Hi GhostRaider,
I have carefully followed your guide, installed LXDE Desktop on my computer module. After reboot I got a startup screen with a login window and a back ground says debian 8. I tried to login with name "pi" and password "raspberry", but the login window keeps coming back. Is there anything else I should do?
Thanks in advance.

pi-anazazi

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:07 pm

...dunno what keyboard layout you have, but default setting is US or UK iirc. So, maybe have a look at the password ;-)
Kind regards

anazazi

GhostRaider

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:03 pm

renoir wrote:In the session/logout screen, I'm being asked a root password to reboot, and so I can't reboot. The user selection doesn't even show the pi user, how do I fix this? (to at least show the pi user)
jcao wrote:Hi GhostRaider,
I have carefully followed your guide, installed LXDE Desktop on my computer module. After reboot I got a startup screen with a login window and a back ground says debian 8. I tried to login with name "pi" and password "raspberry", but the login window keeps coming back. Is there anything else I should do?
Thanks in advance.
Are you two still suffering from these problems? I would need to know how to replicated your issues and see where the problem lies.

wesleywitt

Re: [GUIDE] Raspbian Lite with PIXEL/LXDE/XFCE/MATE/Openbox

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:08 pm

This is an awesome post and just what I needed. One followup question. Is it possible to skip the desktop install part and just have X-Windows + GTK and run a single app, using the Pi as a kiosk running one, single GUI app? Any tips on making that scenario work?

GhostRaider

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:29 pm

wesleywitt wrote:This is an awesome post and just what I needed. One followup question. Is it possible to skip the desktop install part and just have X-Windows + GTK and run a single app, using the Pi as a kiosk running one, single GUI app? Any tips on making that scenario work?
What you want is possible. To run a GUI, you need Xorg with xinit (shown in guide) and a window manager. The thing I am not sure of is how much can a window manager be locked down. You will need to research that.

After you find out what window manager to use, you create an xinit file. This file will contain the commands to execute the window manager and the app you want.

Once you are logged in via command line, you just type startx and it will start whatever commands are in the xinit file. I think it is also possible to automatically execute startx.

Or you can just install a login manager and auto login to a window manager. Might not be a helpful response but it might guide you in the right direction.

jcao

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:40 am

Hi GhostRaider,

Yes. I still have the same problem. I think my keyboard setting is US. It is working correctly.
Thanks again.

aupi

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 am

I followed the guide to install Pixel, but after rebooting from the CLI and booting into Pixel for the first time, the keyboard and mouse are not responding?

They work fine if I install the standard Raspbian image.

Any idea's?

deltadelta1220

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:17 am

Im having a bit of an issue. I followed the guide just the way its written, but once i boot to the LXDE desktop I cant do anything because my keyboard and mouse will not work at all. Any idea how to fix this?

GhostRaider

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:22 am

aupi wrote:I followed the guide to install Pixel, but after rebooting from the CLI and booting into Pixel for the first time, the keyboard and mouse are not responding?

They work fine if I install the standard Raspbian image.

Any idea's?
Strange problem. I haven't encountered such issue. Is it a special type of keyboard/mouse? You didn't skip anything?

aupi

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:31 am

Followed all the steps for Pixel, didn't skip anything. Keyboard works during CLI setup until I reboot into the GUi after the final step. It's a standard USB keyboard and mouse. I've tried them with standard Rasbian and DietPi, and they work 100%.

GhostRaider

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:14 am

aupi wrote:Followed all the steps for Pixel, didn't skip anything. Keyboard works during CLI setup until I reboot into the GUi after the final step. It's a standard USB keyboard and mouse. I've tried them with standard Rasbian and DietPi, and they work 100%.
Try reinstalling Raspbian Lite again. Make sure its updated. Maybe disconnect and reconnect the mouse/keyboard usb. Very strange that it doesn't work after GUI. Can't think of anything that can cause that.

w3pmu

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:26 am

This is a great GUIDE, thank you very much!
I have been using the general procedure in this guide for the last 6 months for setting up my Raspberry Pi 3 and Pi Zero units with basic LXDE.
However, your basic procedure using the latest January 11, 2017 Raspbian release image results in the attached Mouse and Keyboard no longer working! It looks like some other people are having the same issue.
I can use SSH to access and work with the RPi and I can use X11VNC to work with the RPi, but the attached keyboard and mouse are locked up completely.

I noticed that I used to use "x11vnc -display:0" to setup the RPi for remote x11vnc. That command no longer works. I now have to use simply "x11vnc -display".
Since I did not experience this problem until using the latest Raspbian-Jessie-Lite Jan 11, 2017 image, something has changed with the latest release that breaks your LXDE and PIXEL procedures. I did not try any of the other procedures.

Can you please help us?
Thank you

aupi

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 am

I tried twice with this method, tried unplugging the keyboard/mouse and even tried a wireless keyboard/mouse that I use on my other Pi, same result.

1. Installed Raspbian Lite image on SD card
2. Connected network cable and powered on the Pi with the SD card
2. sudo apt-get update
3. sudo apt-get upgrade
4. sudo apt-get clean
5. sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xserver-xorg
6. sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xinit
7. sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
8. sudo apt-get install rc-gui
9. sudo apt-get install build-essential
Rebooted into GUI.

aupi

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:59 am

w3pmu wrote:However, your basic procedure using the latest January 11, 2017 Raspbian release image results in the attached Mouse and Keyboard no longer working! It looks like some other people are having the same issue
Great someone else that has the issue too ... hopefully we can find a fix!

Geepeer

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:52 am

aupi wrote:
w3pmu wrote:However, your basic procedure using the latest January 11, 2017 Raspbian release image results in the attached Mouse and Keyboard no longer working! It looks like some other people are having the same issue
Yep, I also have this problem... Mouse and keyboard work fine in Raspbian Full, but not responding in Lite + Pixel/Lxde.

AlPea

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:56 am

Geepeer wrote:
aupi wrote:
Yep, I also have this problem... Mouse and keyboard work fine in Raspbian Full, but not responding in Lite + Pixel/Lxde.
I too had the same problem, was driving me mad. I fixed it by doing the following.

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-evdev
and ensuring that

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
was present.

After that, all was fine.

Good luck!

Return to “Raspbian”