chfakht

How to build / Re-configure My own OS for the raspberry

Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:21 pm

Hi all :) ,
I'm using Raspbian with raspberry pi but i wan't to make my own OS based on raspbian or debian of course :ugeek: ...
Firstly i have done some basic applications and they worked perfectly ... the problem came when trying to do some image processing on the pi (i know it's not the right card for this purpose :oops: ) , i have developped a face detection apps ... after overclocking the pi to 1GHz (i have used for this pi 2) it seems that the perfomance are not optimal :| ...
So what i want to do is to choose the modules (module by module : an intensive task :p ) of the raspbian OS that will be installed and what modules should be removed (eg graphical interface , bluetooth , HDMI) . I don't know if doing this will improve the performance of the pi the other alternative is to just make some changes after installation of the config file (i have found some modules that can be enabled/disabled easily) but i want to delete them before :mrgreen: ...
I'm still a newbie, i want also to understand the procedure of OS installation ;) ...

I found that i must compile the kernel from scratch but this would take me a long time to understand the whole process , but what i wan't to do is starting from the raspbian and reconfigure it (add / remove modules) before installing it on the pi :roll: please how can i do this :?:

Any help will be appreciated :)

chfakht

Re: How to build / Re-configure My own OS for the raspberry

Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:00 am

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:http://www.intestinate.com/pilfs/ Pi Linux From Scratch
thanks i don"t really want to do it from scratch because i think it will require much more time :mrgreen: ... how about modifying the existing raspbian : that the purpose of posting this post ? :P because i haven't found something interresting in google :roll:

SonOfAMotherlessGoat

Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:48 am

Have you had a look at the site? You can start with a base image and work it up from there. Much easier to build up from a base then to take Raspbian and try to break it apart. If you want the tools to fit your situation, you have to forge them yourself.
Account Inactive

chfakht

Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:12 am

SonOfAMotherlessGoat wrote:Have you had a look at the site? You can start with a base image and work it up from there. Much easier to build up from a base then to take Raspbian and try to break it apart. If you want the tools to fit your situation, you have to forge them yourself.
ok i will try your suggestion and let you know ;)

ghellquist

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:13 pm

chfakht wrote:Hi all :) ,
I don't know if doing this will improve the performance of the pi
It is a very interesting thing to do. But it will not improve the performance. Basically "stripping" the OS of modules will not help you in this case. The modules does not take any resources as such. Perhaps a little memory, but not any CPU cycles. My suggestion is to look for other directions.

If you want to run a face recognition algorithm on the Rpi 2, there is a large disadvantage in that the ARM CPU is really slow. Really, really, really slow for that kind of work. You might improve performance a little by dividing the algorithm on the four ARM CPU-s. This might improve performance four times.

But if you really want to improve things, the real powerhouse are the GPU circuits. These are specifically tailored to handling image data. Converting to using the GPU might give a hundred time improvement in working with image data. Sadly programming the GPU is sort of arcane, and in parts undocumented.

Sorry for the message, but my five cents of not asked for message.
/Gunnar

chfakht

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:41 am

ghellquist wrote:
chfakht wrote:Hi all :) ,
I don't know if doing this will improve the performance of the pi
It is a very interesting thing to do. But it will not improve the performance. Basically "stripping" the OS of modules will not help you in this case. The modules does not take any resources as such. Perhaps a little memory, but not any CPU cycles. My suggestion is to look for other directions.

If you want to run a face recognition algorithm on the Rpi 2, there is a large disadvantage in that the ARM CPU is really slow. Really, really, really slow for that kind of work. You might improve performance a little by dividing the algorithm on the four ARM CPU-s. This might improve performance four times.

But if you really want to improve things, the real powerhouse are the GPU circuits. These are specifically tailored to handling image data. Converting to using the GPU might give a hundred time improvement in working with image data. Sadly programming the GPU is sort of arcane, and in parts undocumented.

Sorry for the message, but my five cents of not asked for message.
/Gunnar
Thanks for your response , you're right i could have some gain in term of mem usage but not cpu .... but how about overclocking the pi GPU :roll: do you know some benchmarking tools that can i use to test the differences :mrgreen: thanks

Return to “Raspbian”