jsavage

Wifi-config app/icon missing under Jessie

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:59 am

Apologies if this is an FAQ or if it has already been fixed but I drew a blank searching for Jessie and Wifi config.
I have just downloaded the full version of Nov 2015 version of Raspbian Jessie from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest and have installed in my Raspi Zero board.
I was somewhat surprised to find that the Wifi Config icon is missing from the Desktop and this function is not in any of the menus. I am sure I had read that the new Desktop interface had this feature.
iwconfig scan shows that several access points are available so I am sure I will crack this on the command line.

However, I am concerned that this omission, if that is what it is, is picked up in the next update. Of course, until I get wifi working I cant fetch any updates which is a bit of a catch 22.

James

AndyD

Re: Wifi-config app/icon missing under Jessie

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:10 am

Have a look at the blog post ... Another Raspbian Desktop User Interface Update. There is a section called New WiFi Interface.

You can see the icon here, next to the sound icon.

MrEngman

Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:18 am

Or may look like this before the wifi is set up.
wifi-network-icon.png
wifi-network-icon.png (9.66 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

jsavage

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks both - I am glad it is not missing and that it was just my vision that let me down. Now that I can see it on my tiny screen I agree this is a better interface to configuring wifi. However, I do think that it should be on the menu too - not least because when setting up we now need a mouse as well as a keyboard.
James

jackokring

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouse_keys for a mouse simulation using the keyboard.
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

Return to “Raspbian”