jojopi

Re: Why is Jessie asking for a password?

Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:24 am

Okay, I see your point. Attempting to configure boot to desktop using raspi-config in a Lite image of course fails. During the failure it recommends the command "sudo apt-get install lightdm". That command is sufficient to allow raspi-config to configure the boot mode, but it is not sufficient to make the desktop work in a Lite image.

What actually happens if you just install lightdm is that you have a display manager, but no session manager or window manager. You get a default login screen that proclaims "debian⁸", and it does accept the pi:raspberry credentials, but it cannot launch a GUI session.

To install a GUI on the Lite image, I tried:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xinit lxde gksu lightdm
That is miles away from what you get in a full image (and it is closer to upstream Debian than to RPF PIXEL) but it at least it worked for me. (I do not understand why a similar attempt failed for Parkview upthread.) Enthusiasts may wish to review stage3 of pi-gen for some of the other differences between Full and Lite images. https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen/tree/dev/stage3

Pixolish

Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi
I have encountered a same issue, after giving uid and password it is just failed to launch, again authentication page coming, please help me

experatris

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm

This happens in loop if your SD capacity is full. Try accessing your pi via SSH. Free up space by deleting stuff using commands 'rm' or 'rmdir'.
Try login after. Hope this helps.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:04 pm

rma153 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:15 pm
I installed Jessie lite. But I realized I needed a GUI, so I followed the instructions in raspi-config to get lightdm which installs Debian 8 GUI and requires a password. I solved this with an ssh into my Pi and I removed the Debian 8 GUI, and instead installed another GUI. I just think that others will likely follow the same instructions in raspi -config that lead to the password issue. Simply publishing the default login will save many from suffering the same bad experience. The usual "raspberry" password does not work.
Everything we at Pi Towers do has the password "raspberry" by default. If you have something that has a different password, it didn't come from us, so I am not sure what we can do about that. However, I'll check with the people who know and see what they think.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

jamesh

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Hold on a minute, just realised this is from a thousand years ago. Must have hit first post instead of latest post when digging it out. Apologies, ignore me.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“My wife said to me `...you’re not even listening`.
I thought, that’s an odd way to start a conversation.."

Return to “Raspbian”