DaHai8

Lite faster than Full version?

Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:31 am

Here's a really basic question.
Is the Lite version of Raspbian faster than the full version?
In other words, if I'm running a process, a script, or a package like OpenVPN, is it going to run faster on the same model Pi with the Lite version vs. the Full version?
Or does all that extra stuff in the Full version just sit doing nothing until called?
(I do realize that Lite boots faster than Full, but I'm curious about overall execution after boot)

I'm wondering if I should rebuild my servers with Jessie Lite since I don't use any of the extra stuff in the Full Jessie.

Thanks.

ejolson

Re: Lite faster than Full version?

Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:59 am

DaHai8 wrote:Here's a really basic question.
Is the Lite version of Raspbian faster than the full version?
The newest version of Raspbian starts the Xserver at boot which, after it has finished initializing, consumes memory though not that much CPU. However, memory is a precious resource even on the Pi 2B, so having less available can slow things down. Once you disable the GUI, the suitability for a server of the full-fat Raspbian should be closer to the lite version.

mikerr

Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:37 am

It won't make much(any) difference other than diskspace - provided you disable booting X
(just select command prompt in raspi-config)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

rew

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:27 am

The main reason for "lite" is that it is meant as "non desktop" so there are less files to download and install. It is a good starting point for a server, the non-lite for when you want to use it as a workstation.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

DaHai8

Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks everyone!
I disabled booting to the GUI as suggested.
I will be building future Servers using the Lite version (+ default-jre) now that there is a choice, but I'll keep my old ones running the full version minus the boot to GUI - wasn't really looking forward to rebuilding them all. Good to know it practically the same performance wise!

Thanks again!

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”