ferrymanr

synaptic not showing using VNC

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:48 pm

I have synaptic package manager installed and working well on the attached monitor howver when I accesshe RPi using tightvnc there is no sign of synaptic running. When I try to run synaptic I get a a box asking for my password which I enter and is accepted then nothing. Any suggestions?

Shak7

Re: synaptic not showing using VNC

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Had the same problem with other computers running Linux and vnc,

Maybe enabling SSH solves the problem,

In the meantime, sudo apt-get install xxxx works fine.

ferrymanr

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:34 pm

SSH is running as I use that to remotely startx and tightvncserver on the RPi. I do use apt-get but the synaptic user interface makes finding applications much easier and also identifying which applications are already installed, version numbers etc.

alexb2611

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:18 am

I'm having the same issue. When connected via VNC through an SSH tunnel, synaptic asks for user pi's password and then does nothing. Other apps and commands I've tried seems to work fine.

Cheers,
Alex

JoeG

Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi

I've been having similar problems. Did a google search and found a suggestion to bring up the vnc session as normal, then start a terminal within LXDE. If you then type synaptic (or sudo synaptic if you are not root), it should bring up the synaptic gui and you can then use it. Hope this works for you.

lugs

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I had a software problem so tried to reinstall / repair, same problem. It's fine when I login directly, the problem is only when I VNC in. I mostly use apt-get from the CL if I know what I want to install, where synaptic comes into its own is when I just want to browse for a utility with an unknown name.

ghans

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:59 pm

You could try aptitude or a apt-cache search instead.
But i think GUI means something different to you ; )

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

lugs

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:28 pm

apt-get has always been my first choice but sometimes I need a utility to do ABC or XYZ and a GUI based package manager makes it easier. I have a project on the go where I need to interpolate cubic bezier curves to a resolution of 5080dpi so I planned to use synaptic to search the math category something useful. In the end I wrote my own code in visual studio (win7 still my main OS) tried to run it under mono on the raspi, no chance, but that's for another post if there is a mono thread.

ghans

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Did you try aptitude ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

lugs

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:43 pm

yes, have used aptitude but its a bit of a 'half way house' solution for me. If it works for you great, but navigating the text with the kybd is not for me as regular method. I am quite happy to bang in commands at the CL. I am happy to click away at a well designed GUI. One of my gripes with some of the open source software is that they are sometimes fantasticaly well coded with fantasticaly poor interfaces. I have been developing hardware / software solutions for a while and lets face it, the user experience depends largely on the GUI, obviously the underlying code has to be correct but it is the GUI that the user interacts with. I dual boot most (not all due to specific hardware) of my systems with a commercial (win / mac) OS and a Linux distro. I also run a few flavours of live CD's and USB's to take a system with me for system recovery etc. I have tried to get colleagues & friends to run Linux, some have tried Ubuntu or the Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu variants with varying degrees of success. All of them at some point have found software that worked for their intended task but did not offer a pleasant user experience with comments like "its like going back 20 years!" or they have come up against a problem that needed to be solved from the CL and have searched online and found loads of conflicting info and instructions for distros they dont have so have ignored good command examples because it said Red Hat at the top of the page and not Debian etc. All confusing for your avarage Windows user. Try explaining that the CL is genius because the output from one command can be used as an input for the next enabling you to pipe commands and their is glazed eyes say it all.

Sorry, gone a bit off topic here, have some spare time, latest software ready for beta testing as soon as hardware is finished. Gonna drink some more coffee and work out how to rig my raspi upto GPS + accelerometers + barometric sensor + sonar + stereoscopic camera + laser range finder to make a UAV.

ajithrit

Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 am

I also have the similar issue. I tried to install opencv img using synaptic in order to avoid the long compiling time for Opencv. But I didnt have a display I used remote desktop viewer in Ubuntu 13.04 to connect to Tight VNC server on Raspberry pi. I opened the Terminal in LXDE for raspberry pi and run
"sudo synaptic" I got the message such as synaptic is not an allowed client to connect to VNC server.
IS there any permissions we need to set for application that require root accesss in tight vnc server?
what can be the solution for this as I dont have a display?

mad-hatter

Wed May 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Hello ajithrit,

I use tightvnc form my Win 7 machine to the Pi.
If you try and run synaptic from the standard terminal, it will fail, permission problem.
If you run synaptic from a root terminal, should be fine (LDXE).
Works for me, I just tried it.
I've also tried it with MobaXterm (RDP), similar, need to be root.

Regards

Jezmy

Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Try this :
In VNC, Right-click your shortcut to Synaptic and then on "Properties". Select the tab marked "Desktop Entry". Then add "sudo" at the start of the command, so it reads "sudo synaptic-pkexec" (without the quotes!)

Return to “Raspbian”