BigNeilM

Raspbian Jessie Lite - missing bits!

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:07 am

Yeah, yeah, I know it's a severely cut down version, but :

No python3?
No git?
No fonts? (ttf in /usr/share/fonts)

I can understand stripping out the all the GUI-related stuff and the space hogs such as wolfram and libre office, but really, do we need to lose some of the really useful elements too?
Neil Matthews
Lost count how many of As, Bs, APluses, BPluses, Pi2s and now a couple of Zer0s. :-)
Get your E-paper HAT at www.percheron-electronics.uk/shop

kusti8

Re: Raspbian Jessie Lite - missing bits!

Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:13 am

It's just a apt-get away. If we included everything everyone wanted, then it wouldn't be lite anymore. I would prefer it be even smaller, which is why I use raspbian-ua-netinstaller.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

stderr

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:00 am

BigNeilM wrote:Yeah, yeah, I know it's a severely cut down version, but :

No python3?
No git?

I can understand stripping out the all the GUI-related stuff and the space hogs such as wolfram and libre office, but really, do we need to lose some of the really useful elements too?
Why would you want python3, git and fonts in a *lite* version of the OS? If you aren't going to use python3, you don't want it.

asandford

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:18 am

stderr wrote: Why would you want python3, git and fonts in a *lite* version of the OS? If you aren't going to use python3, you don't want it.
But python 2.7 is istalled, what if you don't want that?
I'm surprised that git isn't there, as common external hardware such as radios need extras to be installed and usually from git.
I suspect that fonts aren't installed as there isn't a desktop.

rpdom

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:03 am

asandford wrote:I'm surprised that git isn't there, as common external hardware such as radios need extras to be installed and usually from git.
As previously mentioned, it's only an apt-get away.

Not everyone who uses this cut-down image will want git. If they do then they are certainly capable of installing it themselves.

fruit-uk

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:05 am

I'm sure I have packages installed that you would not want - and the next person will have something completely different to me and you.

Do you really think it would be a good idea to simply install everything initially - just in case a user would like that?

stderr

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:17 am

asandford wrote:
stderr wrote: Why would you want python3, git and fonts in a *lite* version of the OS? If you aren't going to use python3, you don't want it.
But python 2.7 is istalled, what if you don't want that?
Python 2.7 is probably used somewhere in the distribution itself. That would be the only excuse to include it.
I'm surprised that git isn't there, as common external hardware such as radios need extras to be installed and usually from git.
Or from somewhere else. Why isn't pip included? Why isn't hg? Why isn't cabal? Surely cabal must be there, how else can I get agda!?

BigNeilM

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:01 am

Ok, so Jessie Lite has python2(now deprecated) but not python3, the Foundation's preferred option as I understand it.

It just struck me as a little odd.

As for the other bits, well, whatever. I'll go install them.
Neil Matthews
Lost count how many of As, Bs, APluses, BPluses, Pi2s and now a couple of Zer0s. :-)
Get your E-paper HAT at www.percheron-electronics.uk/shop

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 pm

BigNeilM wrote:Ok, so Jessie Lite has python2(now deprecated) but not python3, the Foundation's preferred option as I understand it.

It just struck me as a little odd.
Python 2 is used by DebIan (and because of that by Raspbian) to build DebIan & Raspbian. You can't avoid having that pile of brown steaming muck installed. Python 2 vs python 3 is a such a mess it makes the language look even more stupid, how they can make a new version that's incompatible with the old version is beyond belief. That's the thing that's "odd".
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

messypotamia

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:29 am

BigNeilM wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:07 am
Well that explains why my new installation of weewx 3.8.2 had crappy characters on its axis plots & labels. I went into one of the style sheets and looked at the ttfont it called for, it was on my Jessie lite from a couple years ago, but not on 2018-11-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.img.
Not knowing the apt-get fix (because I googled and results did NOT turn up this thread) I simply copied from a Pi running Jessie, all the freefonts to my new 3B+ running the November stretch lite, and all was well.
--"MP"

messypotamia

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:33 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 pm
. . . Python 2 vs python 3 is a such a mess it makes the language look even more stupid, how they can make a new version that's incompatible with the old version is beyond belief. That's the thing that's "odd".
Absolutely agree, that's why weewx (weather software) uses only 2.6 or 2.7 and if it's missing you need to add it. I wondered about this disconnect between the two and Dougie confirmed what I'd been thinking.
--"MP"

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”